Halloween: Michael Wants to Play a Game

Koete

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

On Twitter, Jamie Lee Curtis posted: "Same porch. Same clothes. Same issues. 40 years later. Headed back to Haddonfield one last time for Halloween. Release date 10/19/18."

So this will have to ignore Halloween: Resurrection, in which Michael killed Laurie. So the current timeline is: Halloween (1978), Halloween II (1981), H20, then Halloween (2018). With H20 having written Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers, and Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers out of continuity, and Halloween (2007) and Halloween II (2009) being remakes, there are more out-of-continuity Halloween movies than in-continuity movies. Can any other movie series make that claim?

1 hour ago, dc20willsave said:

The Bond series?

Good point.

1 hour ago, teenalphabro said:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies? Maybe?

Also true.

35 minutes ago, Koete said:

Unless something's changed, I'm pretty sure H20 is out too. 

Oh yeah, it would have to be, unless they retcon the ending like Resurrection did.

Not to disagree with any of the above, but I'm not on-board with filmmakers making films that retroactively ask you to pretend previous films never existed, no matter how bad they were. And in this case, even if H20 is acknowledged, the franchise is actively wanting its audience to validate which arbitrary films count and which don't.

I mean, yes, the Bond franchise makes no chronological sense, but then, the producers never try to overtly retcon entire movies, no matter how bad Moonraker was.

Resurrection should be out of continuity. You should never have a rapper take on Michael Myers in a straight up fight and beat him clean. I hated that. They completely jobbed out a character who should be an unstoppable force of nature to feed a celebrity's ago.

• 8 months later...

So they're not siblings? Are they writing Halloween II out as well?

EDIT: Just rewatched it, and, yeah, the intro absolutely implies the new continuity is Halloween (1978) and Halloween (2018). Everything else is gone.

It's ridiculous to retcon Halloween 2, 4, 5, 6 H20 and Resurrection out of continuity, in my opinion.

I hated Resurrection, but come on. That is some shameless retconning that puts even the Saw franchise to shame.

If you're going to make a sequel, recognize the previous movies exist, flawed as they are. Otherwise, just do a clean reboot.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had they made this an anthology series, which was the original plan and why 3 has absolutely nothing to do with the movies before and after. Complain about sequels and remakes today if you will, but it was just as bad in the 1980's as it is today.

The anthology idea might have worked if the second movie had not featured Michael Myers. It would certainly have kept the series fresh, instead of having the same basic plot seven times. (Myers on a rampage and has to be stopped.)

Now, despite my criticism, I like most of the movies in the series (especially 4 and 5) but the series has been pretty uninspired from 1988 onward. Resurrection was hot garbage though.

On 6/9/2018 at 6:29 AM, S-T said:

The anthology idea might have worked if the second movie had not featured Michael Myers. It would certainly have kept the series fresh, instead of having the same basic plot seven times. (Myers on a rampage and has to be stopped.)

Now, despite my criticism, I like most of the movies in the series (especially 4 and 5) but the series has been pretty uninspired from 1988 onward. Resurrection was hot garbage though.

I have seen 1,2, 4, H20 and Resurrection (although i think I fell asleep while watching Resurrection). I like to imagine that 3 was a different world and that the silver shamrock ritual brought Michael into their world. It just took him a few movies to get back to his world.