Koete

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

This actually looks like it might be kinda interesting. It also looks like a lot of focus will be placed on Anya Taylor-Joy's Magik.

Hopefully Charlie Heaton will bring a little more to Cannonball than what we're shown here, 'cause I do love me some Sam Guthrie.

Alice Braga is playing Cecilia Reyes, but I'm thinking (and hoping) she's Miss Sinister in disguise.

On 1/6/2020 at 10:13 AM, The Master said:

Based solely on the focus that's being put on Magik, I'm wondering if the reshoots were to make the movie more about her.

This is the director's cut. The reshoots apparently introduced a new character and they aren't using them.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guess what?

AGAIN!

Disney has rejigged their entire schedule due to COVID-19, and New Mutants has been completely pulled from the calendar. As someone pointed out on Twitter, it's doubtful it will ever make it to Disney+ because there are no R-rated movies on the service. So that means we're looking at 2021, a Hulu drop, a re-edited version to get to PG-13 for Disney+, or nothing.

A reason I saw online: HBO had an existing agreement with 20th Century Fox. Because the film was produced under Fox, HBO gets initial streaming rights. With HBO Max launching soon, Disney would basically be giving them something to lead with by sending it straight to Digital. It's a cynical reason but a reason.

• 1 month later...

No way that happens.

LA County has extended their stay-at-home order until mid-August, and I foresee other cities and counties following suit. And even if places reopen soon, or even by the end of June or July, I don't see people wanting to be inside a cinema. Disney will surely be paying attention to the public's willingness (or lack thereof) to congregate once more, and I think they'll yank it for the final time.

If I can wildly speculate with my tin foil hat on... Could finally releasing New Mutants on 8/28 just be an offering to theaters?  In that, theaters are not happy about the idea of a same day digital release.  New Mutants is clearly a movie that Disney doesn't really care about.  But it is a finished movie.  So, make nice with the theaters and give it them. And if no one goes (for legal/health reasons or general disinterest), Disney can claim 'we tried, but it was too soon'.  Thus giving them a reason to same day digital a film they care about, ie Black Widow.