The Master

The Dark Knight

The Ventriloquist/Scarface.

I think him and the Mad Hatter would be all kinds of awesome, but neither are well known enough.

I think the Mad Hatter would've done well in Tim Burtons vision of the Batman world. As for Nolan's I doubt we will ever see him. If Nolan were to create a third movie, I'm pretty sure he will bring back Harvey Two-Face, even Aaron Eckheart said that he would do the third film if Nolan and Bale are both doing it as well. I'm sure they could use the Two-Face thing to their advantage while bringing in another villian.

I think what makes Nolan's version of Batman so popular is that he seems to understand the fans, and the charecters they would like to see. I mean putting Scarecrow as Batmans first villian was a bit risky. Not a lot of people know of Scarecrow and they probably would've lost interest in it as soon as they found out that the Joker wasn't in the first film. Nolan said that the reason he put the Joker in the second film is because you can't have Batman without the Joker, they are and will always be a two in one package deal. Now, because of Ledger's death Nolan has no plan to replace him for the third installment so it's safe to say that the Joker will be locked up in Arkham for the rest on this franchise. And as much as I woul like to see Cillian Murphy reprise he role as the Scarecrow, I don't see any storylines for his character.

It would be nice to see Nolan's take on Man-Bat. I think that would be the possible next villian. To see bat on bat, especially since the way 'The Dark Knight' ended, the Gotham City people and police would not know how to handle the situation since they are already looking for the Batman.

As for the chance of seeing 'The Riddler', I highly doubt it since he is somewhat like the Joker. If you are to create a good third installment you don't want to try and repeat yourself, but this is my opinion.

The reason I doubt we'll see Manbat is because that offers no internal struggle for Batman. It would simply be a physical battle, and I think Nolan understands that this Batman is not an ass kicker as much as he's a detective. He needs someone to fight him on a mental level, and with Joker gone, only Bane and Riddler can really pull that off.

I also believe, realistically, any plans they had for Joker could be more or less used with Riddler anyway. Again, the only problem is translating a character that could come off as really lame if they're not careful.

You do have a point. I mean I could see Riddler pop up sometime in the future, but like you said it would be really hard to find someone who imbodies and portrays Riddler without it coming off as unrealistic.

I just don't see Nolan using well-known characters like Riddler in the third movie though. I could see him using Bane, but only as a secondary villian to either Harvey Two-Face or some other villian.

If they do the Haunted Knight storyline as relates to Mad Hatter and combine it with the creepy, pedophile Mad Hatter from Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, then I think he could work in a Nolan movie.

If they do the Haunted Knight storyline as relates to Mad Hatter and combine it with the creepy, pedophile Mad Hatter from Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, then I think he could work in a Nolan movie.

This is my thinking, yes.

The Ventriloquist/Scarface.

I think him and the Mad Hatter would be all kinds of awesome, but neither are well known enough.

I think what makes Nolan's version of Batman so popular is that he seems to understand the fans, and the charecters they would like to see.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe for an instant that what the fans would like has ever once popped into his mind. Nor should it. He's making the best possible story he can. The Ventriloquist has the potential to be twelve gallons of creepy in a ten-gallon drum, and I think that Nolan could take that character and make a fantastic movie out of him. I doubt very much that he would be at all interested in Batman having a twenty-minute slapfight with Bane, however. And when the question goes out on the message boards who they'd like to see next, I'm hearing WAY more of fandom shouting "Bane!!!!1! He broke teh Bat!!"

If Nolan continues to make movies at this level, fandom will follow. Nolan's not giving us what we're asking for. He's giving us what we didn't know we wanted. And that's SO much better.

By the same token, along with that story telling, he knows that each movie needs a selling point. With the first run of movies, it was simply the question of "what villains do we get this time?"

When Begins came out, he could afford to use Ras and Scarecrow because Batman himself was the selling point, or more accurately, a Batman that didn't suck was the selling point, just as with Dark Knight, Ledger's Joker was the selling point. I think they can tell a great story with Hatter and The Ventriloquist , and I'd personally prefer it, but they are not marketable names, and ultimately, this is Hollywood we're talking about. Riddler and Bane can, to use wrestling lingo, "draw money".

I'll give you Riddler. But if the idea is to attract people who've never picked up a comic - there's a couple of them out there - Bane is not going to get asses in seats. Long time Bat-fans know who he is, but the average guy on the street has no idea.

Why would anyone want Bane in a new Bat-movie anyway, or the "breaking of the bat" storyline for that matter ? The next movie needs to be a more uplifting piece to cap off this story, as opposed to another dour affair. Catwoman would fill that void very well in my opinion, and could open up more possibilities to explore the questions posed in TDK. I think you could also throw villians like Ventriliquist/Scarface, and The Mad Hatter in as sort of a reaction to the Joker, but you wouldn't have to spend much time on them story-wise. Also, I think it would be really cool if they threw the "psuedo-realism" bullshit to the wind and did a movie with Hugo Strange and Man-Bat lol.

Also, I think it would be really cool if they threw the "psuedo-realism" bullshit to the wind

They did. It was called Batman and Robin.

Thanks to something I read at another forum, I found this article from late 2007.

David Tennant craves 'Batman' villain role

Wednesday, September 26 2007, 22:21 BST

By Ben Rawson-Jones, Cult Editor

Playing Batman's arch nemesis The Riddler would reportedly be a "boyhood dream come true" for David Tennant.

"I'd love to play the Riddler and be bad to Batman," the Doctor Who star told the Daily Express.

Explaining his love of the 1960's television serial that starred Adam West as the caped crusader, Tennant added: "It was so much fun to watch. I thought The Riddler was one of the most freakish villains, especially with that wild laugh.

"Every morning there would be a new villain - Eartha Kitt as Catwoman with that gurgling meow, Cesar Romero as the frenzied Joker and Burgess Meredith's 'quack-quacking' penguin."

And to quote myself from said forum: Tennant as The Riddler would be gold! He could pretty much play The Doctor, just much more menacing. All he'd have to do is turn up the "I'm clever" portion of The Doctor and he'd be playing Riddler.

Tennant would kill as the Riddler. He'd be absolutely perfect. He has the hyperactivity and intelligence, and before he was the Doctor, he played a long string of creepy weird guys really well (Barty Crouch Jr, f'rinstance).

However, and I'm sure our friends from the UK could elaborate more on this, that just because a British newspaper prints some entertainment news doesn't necessarily mean it's so. "David Tennant is burting with enthusiasm to play the Riddler" could just as easily have been "He's the one in the green suit, right? Yeah, that might be cool." :laugh:

I'd love to see Zsazs as the incidental villain, not the mastermind. They've already gone dark and his is a perfectly cinematic psychosis.

I'd love to see Zsazs as the incidental villain, not the mastermind. They've already gone dark and his is a perfectly cinematic psychosis.

He was already in the first one, and I'm not sure they could elevate a pre-bat mobster hitman beyond the rest of them.

i know the film just came out, but does anyone know when the DVD will be released?

I've heard rumours of early November, but want a general idea, US or UK.

Also Tennant would be good as the riddler but I'd still want Hyde Pierce.

Also people are saying that Nolan and bale are just optioned for a third movie if they wanted to do it, is this true or my sources false.

i know the film just came out, but does anyone know when the DVD will be released?

Also people are saying that Nolan and bale are just optioned for a third movie if they wanted to do it, is this true or my sources false.

Summer blockbusters usually come out in mid November, to be on the shelf in time for Black Friday.

I finally got to see this tonight. (I know, I know.)

I just wanted to be part of the chorus of people shouting "HOLY SHIT" at the top of their lungs.

I'm not sure if The Dark Knight will see the regular DVD release. If the film is still doing great, than the studio sometimes lets the film stay in theaters longer. But if the film is out of theaters in a week, it'll be out by Christmas time.

Tennant is a sell for me, simply because he looks like The Riddler, but how about Steve Buscemi(in the way he played in Con Air)?

I believe Christopher Nolan is optioned to do a 3rd one, but Bale is contracted to 3(which may be why he didn't do the voice in Batman: Gotham Knight, because that would be considered a 3rd film).

I'm not sure if The Dark Knight will see the regular DVD release. If the film is still doing great, than the studio sometimes lets the film stay in theaters longer. But if the film is out of theaters in a week, it'll be out by Christmas time.

Tennant is a sell for me, simply because he looks like The Riddler, but how about Steve Buscemi(in the way he played in Con Air)?

I believe Christopher Nolan is optioned to do a 3rd one, but Bale is contracted to 3(which may be why he didn't do the voice in Batman: Gotham Knight, because that would be considered a 3rd film).

I think they will release it just before Christmas as that is the biggest time of year for DVD sales which are not on sale.

I don't see Buscemi playing a guy who says "I'm smarter than you, in fact I'm so smart. I'm going to leave you this box and a clue to where i am...."

Also theirs rumours that Johnny Depp is near being a lock as playing the riddler in the possible third movie.

Nolan better return, if not we may get someone like schumacher again.

P.S I like Batman forever.

Now to go hang myself in shame

Where are all of these "Depp is the Riddler" rumors coming from? I keep seeing them, even on Yahoo.

Someone just e-mailed me the same thing.

I honestly think it's just one of those "If I say it often enough it might come true things" we love the Internet for. With that said, I could definitely get behind it.