The Dark Knight

Missy

Mark Hamill is the Joker's voice. But, to see him in makeup doing the voice just wouldn't be any good (in my opinion).

Ledger as Joker makes sense to me. He's a great actor. I hope he doesn't slur his way through this movie though. he's quickly on his way to Benicio del Toro-ness.

Gyllenhaal as Two-Face? Nope. Not unless you want the movie to be made a joke. Seriously, Brokeback Batman anybody?

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's official.

From Newsarama:

HEATH LEDGER IS BATMAN'S JOKER FOR THE DARK KNIGHT

According to multiple sources reporting to Newsarama, including Warner Bros. itself, the next villain to face Batman in the revived film franchise will be the Joker, and he’ll be played by Heath Ledger, proving many early reports of the actor picking up the role true. Assumedly, the sequel will re-tell the origin of the Joker, although which origin will surely be a topic of speculation.

Batman Begin director Christopher Nolan will return to direct the sequel which will simply be called The Dark Knight. According to earlier reports, Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Gary Oldman signed multiple picture contracts and will be returning for The Dark Knight as well as a possible third Bat-movie. Morgan Freeman and Katie Holmes are expected to return to their roles as well, although tabloid scuttlebutt has had Holmes retiring from film work, or not returning to Batman at least.

Screenwriter David Goyer is expected to return as well, and has reportedly already written some 80 pages towards the sequel.

A press release officially announcing Ledger and the title is expected tomorrow morning.

Aside from her poor acting, I thought the casting of Holmes was a bad choice if only because I didn't feel any chemistry between her and Bale, it all seem too laboured (unless that was the point)....

Early casting tip for Harlequin, Samaire Armstrong (Anna from The OC). Although how muchh of Harlequin is in the origin of The Joker?

I think that Katie Holmes was the only thing holding the film back. She was put in simply to appease the studio's calls for a love interest whether it was done in the original script or in rewrites. No doubt about it.

I'm excited about Ledger and sincerely hope that this series stays away from Penguin whether or not it's Philip Seymour Hoffman. I hate Penguin.

What will really make me happy is if they give Gary Oldman some more screen time.

Although how muchh of Harlequin is in the origin of The Joker?

The Joker is wrapped up in Quinn's origin, but she has nothing to do with his.

I figured, which is why I was wondering why people were trying to guess casting, seemed a bit premature?

Harley Quinn seems a silly character to have in these movies. I hope they don't.

You heard it hear first, she will be fired from this film before the halfway mark of screening. With her about 5th (or lower) on the credits list, there is no way Nolan or the studio is going to put up with any Cruise shit.

If Dent's getting involved in this film, and he is, don't expect the Dawes character to have a huge impact. After all, with her boss's death in the original film, that either promotes her to DA or Dent is being flown in to take his place. Besides, if the Joker kills Dawes, you have insta-heat (excuse the wrestling term) for why Batman has a personal reason to flat out hate the Joker, whilst he didn't flat-out hate Scarecrow or even Ra's.

Still, Holmes is a shitty actress.

Besides, if the Joker kills Dawes, you have insta-heat (excuse the wrestling term) for why Batman has a personal reason to flat out hate the Joker, whilst he didn't flat-out hate Scarecrow or even Ra's.

Oh man! No! Please, please, please do not turn her into a "woman in a refrigerator." Batman does not need a murdered girlfriend to drive him forward or make him hate The Joker. The simple fact that he cannot stop / contain / figure the man out is enough to make Batman hate him.

The death of the Waynes is a clean, easy to explain motivation for Bruce's costumed heroics. Compounding that with a dead girlfriend, at the hands of a villain no less, mucks up the simplicity of Batman's core motivation: is he fighting to make sure other children don't suffer the same fate as he, to make sure other men don't lose their lovers, to protect women? See, it becomes too muddy.

Besides, if the Joker kills Dawes, you have insta-heat (excuse the wrestling term) for why Batman has a personal reason to flat out hate the Joker, whilst he didn't flat-out hate Scarecrow or even Ra's.

Oh man! No! Please, please, please do not turn her into a "woman in a refrigerator." Batman does not need a murdered girlfriend to drive him forward or make him hate The Joker. The simple fact that he cannot stop / contain / figure the man out is enough to make Batman hate him.

The death of the Waynes is a clean, easy to explain motivation for Bruce's costumed heroics. Compounding that with a dead girlfriend, at the hands of a villain no less, mucks up the simplicity of Batman's core motivation: is he fighting to make sure other children don't suffer the same fate as he, to make sure other men don't lose their lovers, to protect women? See, it becomes too muddy.

Fair comment. Perhaps I'm just looking for an excuse to kill off Rachel Dawes before she appears in a third sequel!

(She was never a girlfriend though, given her Batman mask dialogue at the end. Sorry to be a pedant, but I feel that's what my correspondant duty is to do!)

• 2 weeks later...
IMDB.com is currently reporting that Ryan Phillippe is reportedly the new Harvey Dent. I tried to get onto Batman On Film for more, but it's currently down for me.

Ryan Phillippe as Two-Face = :no:

Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin = :yes:

Nolan has debunked both the Phillippe and Hoffman rumors.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote from Heath Ledger on his role. Sounds like a step in the right direction.

I wouldn't have thought of me, either. But it's obviously not going to be what Jack Nicholson did. It's going to be more nuanced and dark and more along the lines of a Clockwork Orange kind of feel. Which is, I think, what the comic book was after: less about his laugh and more about his eyes.

Nolan has also been quoted as saying the Killing Joke and the Joker's first 2 appearances in the comic are what he is aiming for. All in all, bring on 2008........

• 4 months later...

Katie Holmes will not be in the movie.

"We never got to the negotiating stage" for the film, said Julie Polkes, Holmes' representative. "Katie was offered ["Dark Knight"] but was unable to accept the role because of scheduling conflicts. She was in the process of negotiating for another project.

I'm so happy. She was the worst part Batman Begins. Why do filmmakers feel that every movie needs a love story?