Episode 19

RSS

Kirk, Spock, and Dr. McCoy meet a regenerated Zefram Cochrane and his gaseous companion ("Metamorphosis"). Spock deals with daddy issues, Kirk is stabbed in the back, and The Enterprise comes under attack all while delivering delegates to a conference ("Journey to Babel"). And the show closes with Dan and Mike discussing more Doctor Who / Star Trek crossovers because Dan and Mike. [ 1:25:54 || 41.7 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/theedgeofforever/episodes/theedgeofforever_019.mp3

Another thing I love about the teddy bear scene which you don't get in the audio clip: when McCoy is pressing Amanda for dirt regarding Spock as a kid, she looks to Spock as if to ask, "Is this okay?" and Spock very reluctantly nods his assent.

Because he knows this thing is going to happen.

Exactly. Why would I spend $50+ for something I can watch for free pretty much whenever I want?

Which is why I'll never understand why certain things (like commentary tracks, and select docs from various sets/releases) aren't added as part of the streaming package. Granted that is the enticing thing about the DVD/Blue Rays over streaming, but why not put that stuff up as options and parts of "seasons" if you will with the streaming packages.

When physical media dies (or becomes more rare), I suspect places like Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu will add extra / bonus content that one could only previously get on discs. At least I hope so, because I don't want commentaries, featurettes, and retrospectives to go away.

There was a brief time when a handful of Netflix movies did have alternate audio tracks and such, but it didn't catch on. I have to assume the added costs just weren't worth it.

A lot of digital downloads do come with bonus content, but that's for purchase, not streaming.

The fact is, season box sets are fairly expensive. The bonus features would have to be hellishly impressive to make a lot of them worth it, and more and more people are finding they can live without the features. As I said in the show, I like to have the discs because they tend to look better, I do like the bonuses when they're there and worth my time (the TOS Blu rays have, to be honest, fairly mediocre bonus features), and also I like having a physical object on my shelf.

It's also true that, at some point, Netflix/Amazon/whoever will lose the license to these materials.

One of the things that is at the end of every episode of MST3K is "Keep circulating the tapes." Even with physical media dieing a slow death, that is especially true. Certain things might disappear entirely with some things not warranting a full release, even on a streaming service.

That is true, but someone needs to speak for those like me whom had to do a massive purging of DVDs because of lack of space, and am strictly digital now due to both space and money (to buy the physical copies) issues. I'm fine with just renting DVDs from public libraries though, but you find these days that internal DVD-ROM drives are becoming less and less frequent on laptops and the like.

When physical media dies (or becomes more rare), I suspect places like Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu will add extra / bonus content that one could only previously get on discs. At least I hope so, because I don't want commentaries, featurettes, and retrospectives to go away.

Burnett (the guy Siuntres interviewed) does a lot of DVD bonus content work (he did the Appendices for the LOTR Extended editions, among many, many, many other things) and talked about working on the bonus features for Superman Returns. He was responsible for that massive, incredible three-hour making-of that was far longer than the movie itself. It's one of the most in depth things that's ever appeared on a DVD.

The single-disc version without it outsold the 2-disc set by something like 20:1.

Physical media and bonus content won't ever go away entirely (Criterion, for example, is staying right where it is), but it'll become niche, and fairly expensive for collectors only.

Burnett (the guy Siuntres interviewed) does a lot of DVD bonus content work (he did the Appendices for the LOTR Extended editions, among many, many, many other things) and talked about working on the bonus features for Superman Returns. He was responsible for that massive, incredible three-hour making-of that was far longer than the movie itself. It's one of the most in depth things that's ever appeared on a DVD.

The single-disc version without it outsold the 2-disc set by something like 20:1.

Physical media and bonus content won't ever go away entirely (Criterion, for example, is staying right where it is), but it'll become niche, and fairly expensive for collectors only.

That is until hipsters see it as "retro chic" and bring it back the way vinyl has!

=;)