Things I noticed while listening

Omega Supreme

While Mike and James were reviewing the Batman: The Animated Series episode with that businessman who dresses up like a Greek god, I was surprised that Mike did not point out that when the villain shoots a lightning bolt at the Police blimp, it went down and killed all the cops in there.

Edited by Omega Supreme

Thanks!

i noticed that Batman: The Animated series got the lowest rating out of all the DC Animated universe showstopper the World's Finest Podcast.  I agree that Superman, Justice League, and Batman Beyond were probably brighter, funner, and more colorful shows.  I'm just wondering if the DCAU shows that came after BTAS were better written, why was Batman: The Animated Series the only Emmy-award winning cartoon in the bunch.

Thank You.

The 1989 Batman movie and Batman Returns spawned Batman: The Animated Series.  BTAS was clearly created to capitalize on the success of the Tim Burton films.  You can tell by the similarity in design (eg. the batmobile, catwoman,...) and music (ie. Danny Elfman).  Also, BTAS was inspired by the dark tone of the 1989 movie and it's sequel.   Those movies brought to the mainstream the dark Batman, which inspired the creation of BTAS, which spawned the DC animated universe.

So, if the Tim Burton films did not happen I don't think there would have been the financial motivation to create BTAS and the DC Animated Universe would never have happened.  The Keaton Batman movies created that interest in the mass market for the dark Batman.  BTAS took that and ran with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

While Mike and James were reviewing the Batman: The Animated Series episode with that businessman who dresses up like a Greek god, I was surprised that Mike did not point out that when the villain shoots a lightning bolt at the Police blimp, it went down and killed all the cops in there.

I remember Clio saying "You could've killed someone!", which was at least for BSAP a way out of directly implying the probably idea that people died.

Though they did get flirty at times, my take is that they never got together. Had they, I think something would have been said in Batman Beyond. Then again, I can see a case saying they did.

When Batman went forward in time to chase Chronos, Batman Beyond became an alternate future.  Old man Wayne did not remember traveling forward in time, implying that the JLU Batman and Batman Beyond Bruce Wayne are not the same person-----they belong to two different timelines, two different realities, now as a result of the time travel.  The JLU Batman saw what he was going to become, and what was going to happen, so the JLU Batman split off into another timeline (eg. like in "Star Trek" the first movie of the new ones).  The JLU Batman probably was effected, as any of us would be, by meeting his future self, and so decides he does not want to grow old alone and realizes he wants to marry Wonder Woman, creating an alternate reality for himself and splitting off into a new timeline separate from Batman Beyond.  Thus starts another time line, another reality, an Earth 2 if you will.

Edited by Omega Supreme

The future we saw in the two-part "The Once and Future Thing" was an alternate / damaged future, not the true Batman Beyond future which is part of the main DCAU timeline. Evidence of this can be seen in The Jokerz, such as Bonk being alive and Woof's bionic arms.

Also, though I respect your head-cannon that contemporary Bruce saw what he might become and changed things so he could marry Wonder Woman, there's no evidence to support that; it's supposition.