eBay sellers

Missy

I decided to search Half.com and eBay for new and used games, and I was none too happy with what I found. Most sellers charge between $3.95 and $5.95 for shipping and handling within the US, but I know from personal experience that it costs roughly $2.40 (.60¢ for the padded envelope and $1.80 for shipping). Tacking on $1.45 to $3.45 (or more in some cases) to stuff the game into the envelope and take it to the post office is bullshit. [/rant]

I haven't bought anything off ebay in quite awhile, the outrageous shipping and handling some people charge turned me off. Hell, my wife has bought things on there and paid more for S&H then she had to pay for the item.

I still go on there once every now and then to look at the prices of a Neo Geo, oh well, livin the dream I suppose...

I don't know how long you've been using eBay, Yoda, but this isn't really news at all. Most people jack up the S&H to make up for the money they lose lowering the bid price. I'm not saying it's right or ethical (and it pisses me off, too), but it's how it's done. No one can regulate how much someone charges for ANYTHING on eBay. The only way to avoid it is to do just that--avoid those auctions and find a better deal elsewhere. There are no shortage of video game sellers on eBay. The thing to do is to use eBay's comparison set-up when you're doing a search. That way you can see what every single seller is charging for the item itself and for shipping on one webpage and you can see who has the best deal. In that, you can avoid having to go auction by auction by auction to find a good deal.

I've been using eBay for six years, so I'm used to this practice. But it really pisses me off. Especially when I make it an effort to charge buyers exact shipping and have even gone so far as to refund the difference when I've accidentally overcharged for shipping.

• 1 month later...

It's not video game related, but recently my wife bought something with outrageous S&H. She does quite alot of selling on various auction sites, so she decided that she should purchase a scale, so that she would be able to more accurately know how much to charge for S&H, she being one of the few honest people left doesn't charge more than what she should. So, after checking a couple stores, and even the ones they sell at the post office, the cheapest one was going to run her about 40 dollars for a scale that would measure up to 20 ounces. On ebay, however, she found one being offered by a seller for 2 dollars that measured up to 35 ounces, the catch, he wanted 20 dollars for S&H. She decided that paying the inflated S&H would still save her money than buying one at the store. The thing that pissed me off about this, is that not only did she recieve the wrong color, she bought a black one and got a white one, that on the package where the post office marks how much the package cost to ship, it showed the guy only had to pay 7 bucks for S&H, so he got to pocket 13 bucks. That's too much of an overcharge, and the sole reason thay do it is because ebay takes a percentage of your selling price, but you get to keep all of the shipping money.