Every comic you've read in 2016

Missy

Batman: Prey (Legends of the Dark Knight #11-#15)

One of those stories we all have where we've been aware of them for years but never got around to reading them, I remember in the lead up to Dark Knight Rises this was a popular theory for the basis of the plot once Catwoman was cast. It's the first in a few Post-Crisis Hugo Strange stories that serve as the replacements for his encounters with Batman from the Golden Age. It's fine. Perfectly decent. Legends of the Dark Knight was always the "Year Two: Month One, Month Two" etc series, where it was mostly about Batman's early days post-Year one and his growing relationship with Gordon and the GCPD. In this, Batman has to contend with attacks on his psyche made public by Strange. It's a fine story, but nothing new to me. Strange is portrayed a bit overtly weird here, with a clear inferiority complex surrounding women. I like it when Strange's worst enemy is himself, but this was too on the nose for my tastes. Still, it's decent. Catwoman's inclusion felt pretty needless though. She adds nothing to the story.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotham Academy #16: I did like the Maps and "Batman" story, and Robin's inclusion was amusing. I am really tired of these Yearbook anthology tales though. I feel the book's withering away in its final days...

Ms. Marvel #5: Ayeyiyiyi...I thought this was a mess! Ms. Marvel so far has been a relatively grounded book, with the crazy stuff sticking with the super villains. Having a bunch of synthetic clones which are blatantly obviously not her overrun Jersey...WTF?!

It's not believable that Kamala could just talk her way out of this. This would completely destroy her secret identity. Imagine if a hundred Peter Parkers all started crowding Spider-Man talking in his voice in broad daylight. Furthermore like Batgirl, I hate that Super-Science is apparently an elective in high school in comic books these days. Bruno and his new girlfriend having any sort of clue as to what to do with these Kamala clones rings super false.

I liked the scenes with her brother and his fiance', but the main plot drove me nuts. This is the first Ms. Marvel issue that took me out of the story because it was absolutely ridiculous.

Batman and Robin Eternal #23: S'alright. I liked the scene with Stephanie and Scarecrow. Felt very Bryan Q. Miller Batgirl.

Spider-Man/Deadpool #3: Man, what happened to Styx and Stone? They look completely different compared to when I last read them...during the Venom Returns arc in the early 90s.

Savage Dragon #212: I've been getting into Savage Dragon for a couple of months now, mainly the current stuff where his son Malcolm leads the title. It's been very interesting, and this issue is no exception.

All-New Wolverine #6: this felt really rushed in places and really drawn out in others. Weird. I like this series, so I'm not too put off, but it's certainly the issue I've enjoyed the least by a wide margin.

It was a bit of action, talk, action, talk. That said, I loved the opening with Captain Mooney falling out of the car, all of the stuff with the claws (spoiler-free), and Gabby. Lovely, insane, sweet Gabby.

Seconds - My second Bryan Lee O'Malley book and it's great stuff. Katie's a hard character to like but she has a pretty well-done character arc. Hazel's a joy. Max is...there. The art is really really nice, so much attention paid to detail. The colors by Nathan Fairbairn complement it beautifully.

Hellboy & the BPRD 1953: Beyond the Fences #1 - Only the second Hellboy story I've ever read. This being a flashback series I was fine with it.  Pretty interesting, but the main reason I'm here is for Paolo Rivera's gorgeous art and it does not disappoint. Oh man.

Black Widow #1 - Really enjoyed it. I bow to Samnee. I'm interested in where the story's going, it seems like a pretty smooth transition from the previous run.

Daredevil #4 - Best issue of the series so far. Always nice to see Steve Rogers drawn by Garney.

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #4 - Is this really how Amadeus Cho is characterized? Cause he really comes across as a dick. 

The Legacy of Luthor Arkwright: Sequel to Luther Arkwright. I was able to follow the story a lot clearer on this, which I appreciated. Talbot switches to color on this, which, with some rare exceptions, doesn't suit him that well, unfortunately. Definitely worth a read through if you can find it for a good price.

The New Mutants/X-Force: Demon Bear: pretty much what it says on the tin. I've only seen Sienkiewicz doing covers or paintings, so to see his older art is pretty neat.  The stuff on the later New Mutants/X Force are certainly.... A thing.

Number Cruncher: Si Spurrier does 2000 AD. One mathematician attempts to beat karma and it's accountants and be with the woman he loves. Feels real Phillip K Dick. Jim found it for $5, it's definitely worth a quick read through.

Single Issues: 53
TPBs/Collections: 20
Digital First Issues: 10

Edited by Venneh

Static #27-#33

One of Virgil's friends and Frieda's boyfriend Larry is revealed to be a drug dealer. A gunfight ensues and Larry dies, but not before revealing to Static that he's always known his identity. What's good about this is that Larry was always shown to be a good kid. His hustling revelation and subsequent death don't retroactively demonize him, and he's rounded out with scenes of his mother and little sister. Larry's been around since the first issue, so Virgil heavily considers giving up being Static. Dusk talks him out of it before leaving Dakota and retiring from crime-fighting herself.

A few done-in-one issues and a third writer transition to the duo of Adam Blaustein and Yves Fezzani. These guys write the book a lot more typically super-heroish, which is especially notable in the dialogue. Wilfred leaves the book, so a rotating string of artists jump in including the late great Gil Kane, and Humberto Ramos who quickly delivers the best looking issue in the series. Frieda's hair is off the chain tho.

All-New X-Men #5: This is so goddamned good.

American Monster #2: this is one of two second issues I read the past few days that blew the first issue away.

Avengers Standoff-Assault on Pleasant Hill Alpha #1: some good stuff. Same cliffhanger as issue 0 which is lame. 

Agents of SHIELD #3: this is the only issue of this series I've read and it was ok. It's a Standoff tie-in. Not great. I won't be reading more.

Batman & Robin Eternal #21-23: this is so fucking good. Issue 22 is one of the best single issues of a Batman comic I've ever read. A lot of it has to do with Damian, too. That's a fucking shock. This is so resonant with what I'm doing in my novel right now too. So weird.

Batman/TMNT #4: this is sort of terrible, but I can't turn my head away.

Black Knight #5: ok.

Black Widow #1: There's about three pages of plot here. It's pretty. I'll try one more before I decide to go trade or not.

Bloodshot Reborn #11: fucking hell, this is a total ripoff of Mad Max but it is too damn fun and beautiful to care.

Cry Havoc #2: after that first issue, I'm not sure why I gave it another shot, but I'm glad it did. Pretty solid.

Comics: 282
Trades: 17

Graphic Novels: 11

Omnibuses: 4

Cthulhu Williams #0: no good.

Dark Knight III: The Master Race #3: the first issue so far that's been wholly awful.

Death Head #6: eh...do not like where this swerved the past few issues.

Faith #2: This book would be perfect if not for the terrible Marguerite Bennett art in the fantasy sequences. Very impressed that the standout and revolutionary character of the 90s run actually managed to be interesting in her own series in the modern age. Even though you can blame her for geek references in superhero comics, this series does it really fucking well.

Fight Club 2 #9: holy shit next issue's ending is going to be bonkers.

GI Joe #226: this is fucking goofy.

Gingerdead Man #1: pure garbage.

Gutter Magic #3: the first issue so far I really wasn't impressed by.

Hellboy and the BPRD Beyond the Fences #1: i like this start. Looking forward to more.

Hercules #4: paced oddly, but still pretty good. Maybe the worst issue of the series thus far. 

Insexts #4: I think I'm done now.

Invincible Iron Man #7: eh...another one I'm not impressed by.

Comics: 294

Graphic Novels: 11

Static #34-#45 (end)

The final year of Static is considerably less memorable. There's no longer any consistent writing and art team, the book is bounced around each issue, although Wilfred returns for the final two. Some issues definitely inspired the cartoon series, like the introduction of Rubberband Man and the story of an elderly/retired crime fighter. There's even a cheesy story that features 90s rap group the Lost Boyz. It's pretty corny, and not out of place in a later season episode of the show.

Frieda is revealed to have Anorexia, and this is referenced throughout the rest of the book. There's an amusing issue where Static saves his sister Sharon and she develops a crush on him. Sharon wasn't really seen much beyond basic household cameos in the comics, the show definitely developed her more.

A two parter basically has Static go up against his version of the Sinister Six, complete with Rubberband Man. This distracts him from Daisy, who breaks up with him after being treated so shittily for the bulk of their relationship. It's also during this story that they revealed she and Virgil didn't have sex after all.

The final two issues build up a story involving an old bully coming to the new fall semester of Hemingway High, and Virgil's friend Chuck feeling nervous about it. The last page of #45 ends in a gunshot heard from outside the boy's bathroom...and then the series ends. In fact, many of the Milestone books ended MID-STORY with the conclusions to their respective arcs already written, illustrated and printed. Drives me nuts.

Edited by Donomark

Rai vol 2: Kindt does great work with developing our secondary characters more, some more world building, and the plot against Father in the space of about 4 issues, all while doing some great plot stuff and delivering some gut wrenching moments. Crain is a bit more restrained on this arc, but still does a beautiful job. 

1602 Witch Hunter Angela 3-4: read these again because i replaced these and 1 for about a buck each (the radiator did unexpected water damage to some sorted comics). Hans does goddamn gorgeous artwork still, and the general arc of the story, and the flashbacks/side diversions are wonderful. Great little mini.

Saga 34: again, a general build up to the punch of that last page, and getting all the pieces in place for the last bit of the arc. Some cute moments scattered throughout. Still pretty. Still glad it's the boy buying this and not me.

Single Issues: 56
TPBs/Collections: 21

Bloodshot Reborn vol 1: We did Valiant's buy 3 vol 1s and get 2 free deal yesterday at their booth. This is one of the ones the editors recommended to us, and I can tell you right now I was not expecting to like it this much. It's Punisher by way of government experimentation, hallucinations, and more of a conscience than Punisher has been written with in years. Hyper masculinity tropes that I would've never expected to like. Great blend of realism and fantasy on the art, and issue 5 especially does a great job. I want to read more from just this one volume. Also can see the connection to the larger universe via the Rai stuff I've already read. I'm in.

Imperium vol 1: Alright, Valiant has my attention as a publisher. Interesting to see another part of the universe align. I wasn't as big on this one, possibly because I'm coming in without the major background on Harada, and because I could see the first issue twist coming a mile away. But when Angela showed up, I was a lot more interested, and with that last issue, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes as a series.

Archer and Armstrong vol 1: This tries to be serious for like two issues, then accepts it's ridiculousness and leans into it. Art style is best described as Conner-esque, which, given that Palmiotti is elsewhere in the company, isn't surprising. Lots of setup here, but it's necessary for what's to come, and follows through well enough on it. Good fun read, won't follow it monthly, but will follow it on the trade. 

TPBs/Collections: 24

Edited by Venneh

Dead Drop: Once again proves that so long as Kot has an editor to rein him in, he can do great stuff. (Kot is one of the very few creators I prefer to see corporate stuff from, as his creator owned stuff - Wolf, Material - is at best an unedited Lamborghini tire fire.) Tightly plotted chase comic centering around the race to find a virus, with some good twists, and a tight resolution. Gorham worked with Kot on Zero, and you can tell they work together well. Got this as part of the buy 3 get 2 at Valiant's booth, definitely worth a page through.

TPBs/Collections: 25

Jacked #4: still solid.

Jungle Fantasy Vixens #1: garbage

Just Another Sheep #5: not very memorable

Leaving Megalopolis Surviving Megalopolis #2,3: Pretty fun.

Like Giants: this digital graphic novel is pretty easy to trace back to its origins. It's basically the Bottle City of Kandor and the viewpoint of the people therein. It's no mistake. It was written by Mark Waid. Pretty forgettable.

Limbo #5: pretty crazy

Lovecraft PI #1: Hi, I write Lovecraftian stuff and try to cash in on the weird little subgenre of Lovecraftian comics and fiction, but I don't read any Lovecraft or have a basic understanding of how it all works.

Midnighter #10: great

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #1: oh, it isn't good at all. I'm out.

New Suicide Squad #18: even if the script was garbage, I would still be into this on Ferrayra's art alone. It's a good story though.

Ninjak #13: this was ok.

Nova #5: It's hard to get excited about teenage superheroes trying to keep their identity secret and balance high school and superheroing anymore.

Old Man Logan #3: This hangs on the edge of interesting for me.

Pencil Head #2: yeah, I think I'm out.

Plutona #4: consistently great.

Predator Life and Death #1: nope. I'm out.

Shaft Imitation of Life #2: what happened? It went form the last issue being way better than the first series, to this issue being wayyyyy worse than the first series.

Sheriff of Babylon #4: consistently tense, frustrating and deep.

Slash & Burn #5: an improvement over the last issue.

Snow Blind #4: powerful series. Gets better each issue. Great ending.

Spider-Man #2: this, on the other hand, is how you depict teenage superheroics.

Strayer #2: okay, I'm out.

Street Fighter x GI Joe #1: if you've ever wanted to see SF characters fight GI Joe characters without the constraints of plot, this is for you. Kind of fun.

Superman American Alien #4: Worst issue yet, but the first three were pretty great. I guess they're trying to say that this is all in the same universe? Weird. I don't get it.

Comics: 318

Graphic Novels: 12

Batgirl #49 - Pretty good issue, I liked all the different guest artists and the main plot's pretty intriguing. 

A-Force #3 - Kinda forgettable, but enjoyable enough to read. Art's good as always.

ASM #9 - Good issue. Glad to see Camuncoli back on art.

Ms. Marvel #5 - It is very silly, but I didn't think it went too far. Nico Leon is welcome to be a part of the rotating art teams.

Spider-Gwen #6 - Great issue, nice wrap-up to the Harry Osborn story. Some of Rodriguez's best art so far, I'm really gonna miss him when he retires.

Spider-Woman #5 - Again, Jessica having a baby is still weird to me, but the team does such a great job that I can't help but love the book.

Darth Vader #17 - It really might read better in trade or in one go.

Eleventh Doctor Year 2 #6 - Meanders a little bit, but the ending left me intrigued. 

Doctor Who: The Fourth Doctor #1: Though it gets the voices of The Doctor and Sarah Jane right, the aliens / monsters aren't right. Not only are they too large in comparison to the other monsters / aliens of the time, they don't slide into the timeline as well as they should. The veiled lady, sure. The large Cyclopes, not so much..

Comics: 102

Monstress 4: Oh thank fuck they added a recap page, that helps lots. Continues to be unfairly gorgeous, and the recap page helps properly contextualize what's going on, especially as arc end nears. 

Cry Havoc 3: *grins* is all I'll say about the story. It's neat to see what aspects of Kelly's art all the different colorists bring out, and everyone gets some real fun stuff to do. So here for this.

The Spire 7: Oh fuck me, I think I see where it's all going to come together. And it's gonna be gloriously fucked. Also neat: Miyazaki aesthetics applied to mass murder. Looking forward to seeing how this wraps. Also, neat preview for Weavers in back.

Single Issues: 59
TPBs/Collections: 25

Edited by Venneh

Superman Lois & Clark #5: Consistently the best thing DC does for 5 months running.

Survivor's Club #6: The joke's on me. I read six issues. The first issue was great and each issue got exponentially worse. This is pure fucking garbage. I'm done. I'm done with the writer too. Fuck this book.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #55: I get why they want to do a one and done at this point, but it feels like this was the wrong one and done to do. The least I've enjoyed a TMNT book since I started reading this new run.

Comics: 321

Carnage #6: A young woman sailing around the world finds Cletus Kasady floating in the middle of the ocean, clutching a bag containing the Darkhold. As a thank you for saving his life, Carnage forever changes her world.

Though this issue picks up threads from the first five issues, it is a perfect jumping-on point for new readers. We begin with our focus being centered on the new character of Jubulile van Scotter. She knows nothing of Carnage's recent actions, only learning of them when he, in his crazed way, expositions them to her. As he does so, the series dives back into the terror it so deftly showcased in the opening storyline. Our 16-year-old protagonist is trapped on a small boat with the worst serial killer in the Marvel Universe, and her escape is nigh impossible. Though I would have enjoyed a slower build to Jubulile's realization that Cletus is a killer, as well as his assault, the terror is still palpable. Gerry Conway and Mike Perkins are crafting a must-read horror comic set on the fringes of the Marvel Universe, and I can only hope there are many more issues to come.   

Comics: 103

Batman #50: I've read more than my share of "Bruce returns to the mantle" stories in my time, so while this was a solid addition it's not much I haven't seen before. I love Mr. Bloom as a new villain though, he's pretty cool. The writing and artwork has never failed to impress, even if the stories aren't what I prefer.

Totally Awesome Hulk #4: Still good. I like Amedeus Cho as a character, seeing as how this is my first experience with him. Cho's a great artist with a strong hint of Kevin Maguire to him.

All New, All Different Avengers #7: Decent issue but this book still isn't what it needs to be. It's Mark Waid so it's not awful but it's remarkably unspectacular. The artwork is too pedestrian for an A-list team too.

Edited by Donomark

Wonder Woman: Odyssey (Vol. 1) - I read this ages ago.  Like two months ago.  I remember really liking it, so I stick with that.

Wonder Woman: Odyssey (Vol. 2) - Finally just sat down to read this thing.  I wasn't a fan. About half way thru I just lost all interest.  Maybe if I had known going in that these were just story-arcs in the main series rather than a maxi-series.  The last, say 4 issues, of getting back to the correct 'reality' or other just sucked the air out of it.  Last thing:  I really like this Wonder Woman costume.

Wolverine: Soultaker - Wolverine is in Japan.  Right off the bat, I have no idea if I am supposed to know who these people are.  And then there is some magic.  Then zombies.  And the a blood sword.  Not a fan of this stuff.  The art doesn't help, as Logan just looks weird.  Wolverine (all five pages of him) looks fine.  Logan looks horrible. 

Like Giants - Mark Waid's story about basically the Bottle City of Kandor.  Super short, but I really enjoyed this. 

Comics: 14 (5)
Graphic Novels: 1
Trade Paperbacks: 6 (31)

Magic Knights Rayearth II Omnibus: CLAMP does magical girls, fantasy worlds, and mecha, only this time with even more at stake than the last round. One of the rare series to actually deal with the fallout of the original, both for the fantasy land and for the girls. Plenty of out of left field craziness (surprise: Mokona is actually god apparently) to go with it. Early days for the team yet, especially on the art front, but it's still neat to return to something I haven't really read since middle school/high school. Still enjoyable, and still worth the read, especially in one massive volume that the boy found at C2E2 for $8. 

Archer and Armstrong vol 2: We get an artist change for this arc, which seems to be standard on some Valiant books. Again, leans full into the ridiculousness, while also keeping the stakes of the cults they're working against high. Continues to just be a fun ride, and we have the next volume from the Valiant Humble Bundle they did a while ago, which means we're probably gonna read it before D+D tonight. 

Single Issues: 59
TPBs/Collections: 27

The Astonishing Ant-Man #5: funny. Also, it really enlightens me as to why I thought they went with a weird ending before rebooting the series at #1. For the life of me I thought Scott passed on the Ant-Man costume to that guy, not the Giant Man costume,

The Dark And Bloody #2: okay, this isn't any good.

The Discipline #1: This, however, is fucking great. Brutal and beautiful. I'm in.

The Hangman #3: they are playing the slow game here and that's ok.

The Haunted Mansion #1: no thanks.

Comics: 326