Every comic you've read in 2016

Missy

The Incredible Hulk Omnibus vol. 1: collects The Incredible Hulk (1962) #1-6, the Hulk stories from Tales to Astonish #59-101, and The Incredible Hulk (1968) #102.

I think the Hulk stuff, along with a lot of the old Thor stuff, benefits from black and white reproduction.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A Bride's Story vols 4-5: These volumes mostly focus on a pair of twins that Smith meets on his way back to Turkey, and their eventual wedding to a pair of local brothers, with the occasional check back to Amir and her family. I really like that we get to see all these different traditions, and holy wow does Kaoru Mori continue to be fucking amazing.

Lovers in the Night: Early Yoshinaga focusing on a lord and his butler, and oh, that whole French Revolution thing. Not anything particularly memorable, but a good fun read

Single Issues: 295
TPBs/Collections: 92
Digital First Issues: 11

Edited by Venneh

Batman: Death and the Maidens - Way too long and the art looks horrible.  Cannot say that I've read any Ra's stories, yet it feels like I've read them all.

This Damned Band - Too much set up and not enough payoff.  Could have done with two less issues.

Comics: 189 (17)
Graphic Novels: 7
Trade Paperbacks: 8 (41)

All-New All-Different Avengers Annual #1: This was fun an anthology of online fanfic that Kamala reads to varying degrees of entertainment. The stories range from amusing to childish, but I particularly liked the one by Mark Waid about the other Captain Marvels. Some of these made me laugh out loud.

Cyborg #1 (2016): Written by John Semper Jr, the show runner for the 90s Spider-Man animated series, this was a decent start. It's very exposition heavy in giving anyone who doesn't know the BG on Cyborg's origin. It ends with a promising dilemma that's got me intrigued.

Batman #6 (2016): This was a surprisingly emotional, well written issue by welcome and unexpected art by Ivan Reis. Solid read

Superman #6 (2016): This issue REALLY kicked ass. Great artwork. Top-Notch writing. Several feel-good moments that had me punching the air. A+ comic right here.

Detective Comics #937: this is crazy. And good. I love it, really. Both Bat-books are good. When's the last time that happened?

Divinity II #4: a pretty decent ending. Wasn't a fan of this like the first series. But it ended nicely. I look forward to the third which looks like a Soviet Elseworlds tale. Solid.

Evil Ernie Godeater #1: this was really fun

Future Quest #3: individual tales of Space Ghost (drawn by Steve Fucking Rude!) and Herculoids? Goddamn. I love this book.

Harley Quinn & The Suicide Squad Special Edition #1: no thanks.

Harley Quinn #1: as if Harley isn't already a tonal copy of Deadpool, they have to introduce a straight Deadpool ripoff? Who likes this garbage.

Hot Damn #4: debating on not bothering with the next issue and just grabbing the trade instead. This is great.

International Iron Man #5: ok, I kind of dug this.

Invincible Iron man #12: this was ok, but it really felt like an issue-long rehash of the scene where Tony visits Peter and May in Civil War (movie).

Kill or Be Killed #1: fucking hell. I liked this a lot. This team is back in my good graces.

Mae #3: the first two issues skated by on Ha's art alone, but I can't be bothered with this shit anymore. It's fucking terrible. Boring, full of characters I don't give a shit about and so run of the mill.

Mechanism #1: I'm out.

Nightwing #1,2: fuck yes! Both Bat-books and Nightwing are good. Praise jebus!

Comics: 868
Trades: 38

Graphic Novels: 33

Omnibuses: 11

The Twin Knights: Tezuka does Disney by way of Zorro and cross dressing. Technically a sequel to Princess Knight, but still readable on its own. Has some real great funny moments, but really stumbles on the translation sometimes.

Curveball: Vaguely futurish apocalypse and personal apocalypse, mediated by splashes of orange. Absolutely gorgeously written and drawn, and with a genderqueer protagonist treated matter of factly and not as the sole focus of the characters plot. Read this Monday night in a warm bath with bath bombs and a bottle of wine, and loved the experience. Definitely worth a read if you find it. 

Single Issues: 295
TPBs/Collections: 94
Digital First Issues: 11

Edited by Venneh

Superman #6: Awe-fucking-some! Post-Crisis Superman fully establishes himself as this world's Superman in spectacular fashion. And the rub is, the world doesn't know if he's their Superman returned to life, a clone, or someone from another dimension, but it does not matter; they love him. It's a brilliant coming out party. Also, they saved

Krypto

in one of the most kick-ass scenes I've seen in a while. I literally cheered when he returned. And that ending: oh yeah!

Comics: 400

Old Man Logan #9: Pretty ok.

Red Hood and the Outlaws Rebirth #1: ok...I'll check out another one.

Sleigher the Heavy metal Santa #1: this is garbage. 

Sons of the Devil #9: I'm done. This is comics in slow motion.

Squadron Supreme #10: so good. Marvel's hidden secret.

Suicide Squad Rebirth #1: obviously a movie rebranding, but I really enjoyed this.

Suiciders Kings of HelLa #5: solid.

Superman #4: fucking great. Awesome moment in here.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #60: I'll be happy when this arc is done.

The Mighty Thor #9: Dario Aggar is the best villain that Marvel Comics has created in ages. He's the only reason I'm still reading.

The Punisher #4: I think I'm done.

The X-Files Origins #1: ok. A little Stranger Things in this actually.

The X-Files Annual 2016: this was fucking fun.

Titans #1: jesus...this is fucking garbage. DC has just completely bungled Wally West.

Torchwood #1: no, thanks.

Uncanny X-Men #11: this was good. Glad that we're done with Apocalypse Wars.

Comics: 884
Trades: 38

iZombie - I like the show, so when I saw these at the library, I thought why not?  Cannot say that I was a fan.  Reminds me of the Mitch Hedberg joke: "Hey, Mitch, did you hear that story about that lady who drove her car into the lake with her kids and they all drowned?" "Yeah, I did, and you know what - that inspires me to write a movie about a gorilla!".  The comic and show share almost nothing in common outside of the lead being a zombie.  Heck, I got a real Being Human vibe from the comic until it went all Lovecraftian and I stopped caring.

Superman (Vol. 2) #53 - In the read the random comic I just bought series.  I saw the cover and something told me I should buy this.  I have no idea why.  After reading it, I have less idea why.  It was a nothing story in what felt like a filler issue.  Still, it is a pretty great cover.

Comics: 190 (17)
Graphic Novels: 7
Trade Paperbacks: 12 (70)

Unfollow #10: seriously the most now comic I can think of. So dialed in. So good.

Vote Loki #3: This is stupid.

Wonder Woman #3: I enjoy the modern story more than the flashback so far. Wonderfully 

A Year of Marvels August: this was alright.

Action Comics #961: really fun. Best this series has been so far.

ANAD Avengers #13: holy shit. I'm liking this direction.

ANAD Avengers Annual 2016: holy shit this was hot garbage. Didn't read past the halfway point.

Deadly Class vol 4: Holy fuck. This is maybe the best comic being published today. Beautiful.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina vol 1: wow...I read the first issue way back and waited on the trade because the issues took so fucking long to come out. This is an amazing and terrifying and brutal horror comic. Maybe the best of the year.

Comics: 891
Trades: 40

A Year of Marvels September: I was worried this was a Squirrel Girl story - because she's the fucking worst - but it turns out she's barely in it. Instead this is Rocket Raccoon and an actual squirrel against Plant Man. The design on PM is fucking awful, and I have other issues with the art, but this is fun nonetheless.

Action Comics #962: fuck. yes.

ANAD Avengers #14: the story of the 2 Wasps during CW II. Ok.

All-New Wolverine #11: fucking great. Holy shit...I mean I saw it coming, but wow.

All-New Wolverine Annual 2016: not great.

Comics: 896
Trades: 40

Detective Comics #940:

Terrific artwork and top-notch characterization make this story. I also like how Tynion plays with the reader's expectations and saves Tim at the very end, although it wasn't totally unexpected from me after knowing what a fan he is and following him on Twitter. I think my one hang-up is going through the motions of the Bat-Family mourning the loss of a dead Robin AGAIN. I think at this point every single Robin except Carrie Kelley has either died or presumed to have died. I appreciate Tynion having mercy on both Tim fans and Batman readers, but I really don't care to go through the whole dithering process of everybody being sad in the Bat-Cave again. It's too soon after everyone though Dick was dead, which was too soon after Damian had died. But if anyone can make that idea worth it, it's Tynion. The scene between Bruce and Stephanie was perfect.

All Star Batman #2: This is pretty badass. Great handle of both Batman and Two-Face. Very intriguing set-up with the flipping through time.

All-Star Batman #1-2: This reads like a Jeph Loeb / Tim Sale comic, in that Scott Snyder is throwing every character into the book for no appreciable reason, making huge changes to Batman-lore, everybody is cryptic for the sake of the story, and it actively makes me dislike the characters. (Though, the Bat-ears reveal was cool.)

Comics: 402

Spider-Man #8: Damn solid. The first half covers the soap opera portion of Miles' life, while the back half shows the lead-up to and aftermath of recent events in Civil War II. Very well-handled. It perfectly captures how quickly life can be turned on its head, and just how quickly it can all end.

Alters #1: I had such high hopes for this book, but it's way too on the nose with its bigoted and sexist characters. Everyone who's not the lead character is rude, selfish, or boorish. The villain, who they're trying so hard to be a mixture of Quentin Quire and Manchester Black, outright calls himself an "unreasonable maniac with a hair-trigger temper." The visual storytelling is up and down, but it has its moments. From top to bottom, this feels like it was made in the very early 2000s.

Comics: 404

Doom Patrol #1 (2016): Putting a jumble of words on the page, knowing they don't make a lick of sense in that order but hoping they'll come across as quirky and funny is not writing. It's gibberish. The book looks good, I'll give it that, but when characters act odd just for the sake of having weird characters, I could not care less.

Comics: 405

Spider-Man #8: Damn solid. The first half covers the soap opera portion of Miles' life, while the back half shows the lead-up to and aftermath of recent events in Civil War II. Very well-handled. It perfectly captures how quickly life can be turned on its head, and just how quickly it can all end.

Did you also hear the Spongebob narrator in your head when the "ONE HOUR LATER" caption came up?