Every film you've watched in 2016

Missy

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE BIG SHORT! is my first 2016 movie.

Starring Christian Bale, Ste e Carell and Ryan Gosling, it's based on a book detailing the late 2000s global financial crisis. I couldn't keep track of half of the details, but the writing and acting is so good I was invested all the way. Bale once again disappear into his role and Steve Carell has a marvelous turn as a cantankerous yet scrupulous trader.

The Sound of Music - beautiful songs and two fingers up to the Nazis: what more could you want in a musical? 

Julie Andrews is a prime future target for HAA! I'm sure Christopher Plummer is as worthy but I'm not sure I've seen many of his films. 

Julie Andrews is a prime future target for HAA! I'm sure Christopher Plummer is as worthy but I'm not sure I've seen many of his films. 

I was actually gonna suggest him in an email. If 2016 is the Year of Age for HAA!, he might be worth looking at since he's the oldest actor ever to win an Oscar.

I was actually gonna suggest him in an email. If 2016 is the Year of Age for HAA!, he might be worth looking at since he's the oldest actor ever to win an Oscar.

I'll have a look through his back catalogue so that he stands a fighting chance! 

Kicked off 2016 yesterday with the Taken trilogy. While they should have dealt with the intrusions of reality, such as Bryan Mills' seeming disregard for the other victims of human trafficking in the search for his daughter, the tightness of the script, Liam Neeson's performance, and the attention to the action make the first one a good thriller. It's also a movie that never should have had a sequel, much less two. While possessing a particular set of skills, Mills is still human in the first one; in the other two, he's a superhero with an eidetic memory and able to survive several exploding cars. They stick to replicating the beats of the first one so closely that I was laughing by 3. Also, the "Mills is the ultimate family man while the stepdad is a piece of shit" route that they go on is at the level of parody. The second one's dumb, the third one's dumber, and they're directed by a guy with no eye for action. 

Films: 3

Creed: I've seen it twice now, and it's probably my second favorite Rocky movie, just behind the original. Michael B. Jordan and Tessa Thompson are major stars-on-the-rise, Sylvester Stallone gives at least two Oscar Moments, and Ryan Coogler has directed two great movies. Best of all: when the familiar Rocky themes kick in, they're earned.

Rocky IV: This movie is So. Damn. 80s! It's stops twice for musical numbers, I lost count of the montages, and it is filled to the brim with cheese. So awesome!

Movies: 2

Rocky IV: This movie is So. Damn. 80s! It's stops twice for musical numbers, I lost count of the montages, and it is filled to the brim with cheese. So awesome!

That's three full montages (No Easy Way Out, Training Montage and Burning Heart) with a special mention for War since the actual fight is basically a montage.

It's as close to a flawless movie as there can be...apart from the fucking robot.

Hateful 8, The Martian.

Edited by Stavros

Pan: family movie time. Pretty good actually. As a prequel to the Peter Pan story can be, I guess. There's a few weird moments where everyone is singing Nirvana and The Ramones which took me out of the film entirely, but it was a lot of fun. Rooney Mara is crazy beautiful.

The Hike: feature for the fest.

Features: 4

Edited by Dread

Southpaw - generic boxing movie that gets a boost from the performances by Jake Gyllenhaal, Forest Whitaker, and Oona Laurence.

Bone Tomahawk - really good western that's largely made up of the interactions between the archetypes played by Kurt Russell, Richard Jenkins, Matthew Fox, and, in probably his best performance, Patrick Wilson. 1/4 stage setting, 1/2 pursuit of abducted townspeople, and 1/4 horror. Lili Simmons, who has been mostly known up to this point as eye candy in HBO and Cinemax shows, gets to act in this and gives one of the most important performances in the film.    

The Lazarus Effect - decent build-up of a "science goes too far" horror film centered around a resurrection serum, before taking a turn into the aggressively dumb for the second half. One of those movies that leaves you dumbstruck for several seconds when you see two names under "Written by." 

Films: 6