Every film you've watched in 2016

Missy

The Mask (1994): An oft-said "classic" of the comic book movie genre of the last twenty years, it mostly holds up. The direction is not as sharp as I remember and the script is very one dimensional. That being said, Jim Carrey's performance is still great as are all of the supporting players. Peter Reigert in particular is hilarious and has great chemistry with Carrey whenever they're on-screen together.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Time Machine (That I Bought At a Yard Sale): Huh. Just... huh. It's the kind of film that makes Birdemic look like the work of an auteur. Just thoroughly baffling.

The Emperor's New Groove: One of my favorite Disney films. It works as a buddy comedy, a comedy, and beautifully animated feature.

In the Loop: Capaldi just knocks it out of the park. Very well written satire that works half a decade later.

To Catch a Thief: It's not Hitchcock's best film but far from his worse. Kelly and Grant put in some fine performances and everything looks very beautiful. I guess my only quabble is that it never really feels like Hitchcock.

Films: 65
Documentaries: 1
Rewatches: 3

VHS Massacre: review forthcoming

Not a V/H/S sequel?

Ha! No. A documentary about the decline of physical media and the recent resurgence of VHS, among other things.

I was a big fan of Be Kind, Rewind so I might have to track this one down.

Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama & Creepozoids: research

Interesting. Nice to see the occasional reminder of when DeCoteau could at least attempt a modicum of effort instead of shooting near naked guys/talking animals in his housr.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice: Ultimate Edition: If this is an improved and more interesting version of this film, I stagger to think what the original was like. There are definitely things to like here: Ben Affleck made a surprisingly effective Bruce Wayne, Wonder Woman really was pretty kickass, the action was well done and (not unusually for a Zack Snyder flick) everything looked beautiful. However, in addition to it just being a relentless, boring slog, it was just a very poorly told story. I was ninety minutes in (halfway through a three-hour movie) when I realized that the movie was still in Act One. Batman thinks Superman is dangerous. Here's why. Here's another reason why. Here's another reason why. The movie is more than halfway over before the story progresses to anything actually moving forward from that. Henry Cavill has maybe two dozen lines in the entire movie, and most of those are as Clark. His Superman is cold, silent, aloof, and constantly floating over the heads of everyone else; no wonder people are so terrified of him - except for when the story needs him to be universally beloved, and that's just a switch Snyder keeps flicking on and off. Motivations remain unclear throughout, Luthor's plan(s) are beyond stupid and should never have gotten as far as they did, there are at least three endings for this thing, and there isn't a true moment of levity throughout the entire experience, leaving the viewer with three hours of getting beaten over the head with a Batman who loves nothing better than picking up a gun and shooting bad guys in the face.

Batman (1966): While it is in no way the best Batman movie, it's still pretty fun. It's so freaking goofy and the camp elements from the series were definitely dialed up to 11 but still, it's a great movie to have on in the background while you work on other things.

Teen Witch: Outside of this film having some disturbing ramifications when you stop to think about how magic works, it's pretty dumb and unrelenting in it's dumb. Then again, I am very not in the target audience. Also, it just kind of ends and at least one subplot never gets any resolution.

Inception: Probably my favorite movie of the last decade. Outside of just being visually stunning and well acted, it also works as just being a good analogy of the going to the movies. I'm going to stop before I gust for another 20 paragraphs.

Films: 68
Documentaries: 1
Rewatches: 3

Night Cries: feature for the festival

TMNT: Out of the Shadows: I'll take a Turtles movie over a Marvel movie any day. As funny, as character driven and as good, or better effects. Only the Turtles movies are at least half an hour shorter. This was a fucking blast. Kids loved it and so did i.

Features: 110

Shorts: 61

Documentaries: 8