Every film you've watched in 2016

Missy

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master: There are some commendable aspects of this one but this is definitely the one where the train went off the rails. They have taken the formula of number 3 (introduce a large cast of victims and give each of them one unique characteristic for Freddy to kill them with late) and turned it up to 11. This is the point where Freddy has become The Joker. That said, Alice is my favorite protagonist in the series if for no other reason than she's at least semi-intelligent. Nancy is awesome but I'm really feeling Alice. Also, Freddy is revived via flaming dog urine. What the hell?!?

A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child: Ho boy.... where to start. If it weren't for the last one, this would be the worst in the series. They're going for a darker film (both in terms of topics and lighting) but then you have Freddy, constantly making jokes. Then you have deaths like the model where it's downright comical. Really, it feels sometimes also like this was written for an after school anti-teen pregnancy special then they shoved Freddy in.

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare: AKA We're killing the franchise and just don't care anymore. Seriously, I don't know what I hate more. All of our victims this time out are legitimate abuse survivors and Freddy wisecracks while torturing them. There are some vaguely creepy moments but none are due to Freddy. All are courtesy of the psychotic citizens of Springwood and are more unsettling than anything else. I really have no clue what they were going with here and the fact that they can't even follow their own rules anymore of very sad and pathetic.

Films: 118
Documentaries: 1
Rewatches: 3
Rifftrax Assisted: 2
Made For TV: 3

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Scarlet Scorpion: a weird radio serial-themed murder mystery from Brazil.

Werewolf in the Amazon: I believe this is the second to last time Paul Naschy played Hombre Lobo. This one is crazy. Amazon warriors, Island of Dr. Moreau monsters and a werewolf...in the Amazon!

Features: 169

Shorts: 90

Documentaries: 14

Baskin: A Turkish gorefest featuring a bunch of cops stumbling across a Black Mass in an old, abandoned church. It's really fucked up, bloody, messy, and fucking great

That's on my list.

A Marca do Terrir: this is essentially a feature-length collection of shorts and experimental films by Ivan Cardoso. Deranged and not very good. No subtitles and I don't speak Portugese.

O Sarcafago Macabro: another simlar to the above, but intertwining WW2 footage and his previous film The Secret of the Mummy as well as a strange nazi-hunting plot...I guess. Remember, I don't speak Portugese.

The Witch: what a fucking astounding accomplishment of folk horror. Holy shit. I'm going to be thinking about this for a while.

Features: 172

Shorts: 90

Documentaries: 14

New Nightmare: Wes Craven gets major points on this one. Outside of making one of the most meta films of all time, he also crafted a more psychological Nightmare. Heather Langenkamp doesn't get enough credit for her acting.

Freddy vs Jason: I figured I would do all the films in the original franchise. It is what it is. We're back to jokey Freddy but it's not nearly as bad as Freddy's Dead. It gets points for not doing what Alien vs Predator did and make one side more sympathetic.

Films: 120
Rewatches: 3

New Nightmare: Wes Craven gets major points on this one. Outside of making one of the most meta films of all time, he also crafted a more psychological Nightmare. Heather Langenkamp doesn't get enough credit for her acting.

If only he'd cast someone else as himself!

Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero: A perfectly decent extended episode of B:TAS. In a lot of ways it's a farewell to the original B:TAS/TBARA since it includes the original designs, feels like a Batman and Robin episode and includes the series' most famous episode's villain. It's decent. The animation is very good (Batman's colored really cool throughout), the voice acting is all solid and it's a good Mr. Freeze story. I also like Belson as a character. What drags the film down from being better is that it's clearly a two-part tv episode pushed needlessly into a movie. There's not enough material to make it more than that, so all of the scenes with Barbara on the Oil rig are boring as crap. They always bored me as a kid and in nearly ten years that hasn't changed. I liked Batman and Robin's detective investigation throughout, and the third act definitely comes alive with action.

Doctor Strange (2016): More thoughts as they process, but I'll say this: this may be the first time I've ever been glad I paid to see a movie in 3D.

Okay. So this was pretty good. From a story standpoint, it's a pretty standard Marvel movie about a guy who used to be an asshole learning how to be less of one, and also let's save the world. Bandersnatch Cobblepot isn't Robert Downey Jr., so that aspect isn't as successful as it could be. That said, it's decent enough and definitely in the top half of Marvel stories. The cast is quite good; Rachel McAdams is completely wasted, and Mads Mikkelsen is another in a long line of Marvel villains who don't really land, but Chiwetel Ejiofor is great, Benedict Wong is a ton of fun, and Tilda Swinton is Tilda Swintoning all over the damn place.

Now, holy shit, the visuals. I cannot remember the last time I was blown away by the look of a film, but my jaw was hanging open on more than one occasion.

I will happily pay to see this again in a theater for the scene of Strange zipping through the multiverse all by itself. The Dark Dimension looks like Steve Ditko, inked by Frank Brunner, preserved on a velvet blacklight poster, and it's

stunning. The action scenes are some of the best in a Marvel flick, and the final battle addresses a concern about most superhero movie action setpieces in a way I really appreciated.
This is one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. The music was pretty good, as well, very reminiscent of Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd (in keeping with the psychedelic motif of most of the movie), and the end theme is actually hummable in a way superhero themes haven't been for a long time.

Very enjoyable.

Doctor Strange: Just got back myself. Really enjoyed it. It's not a perfect film and the first half really speeds things along at a breakneck pace, but the second half is intense and the movie never stops from there. LOVED how they went for straight up Steve Ditko in some of the imagery. I've not read enough of the original run, but there are pages I've seen just splashed all over the movie. At Comic-Con in Hall H, we were shown the scene where Strange first meets the Ancient One, but seeing the movie they only showed us half of it. That might be my favorite. Right away the movie went balls-to-da-wawlls with the out-there madness.

Other Pros:

-Benedict Cumberbatch was immediately perfect in the role. Dunno why there was so much hand-wringing when his casting was first rumored.

-Wong was different but solid

-Mordo was TERRIFIC. Ejifor gave some serious acting into this role, and he has the potential to become one of the MCU's greatest villains.

-By far the most standalone MCU film. Aside from a cursory mention of the Avengers and a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot of Avengers Tower, this is its own movie.

-Mads Mikkelson I thought was terrific. He begins as a rote adversary but the way they present his cult-like ambitions really made him work in a way I think Ronan was meant to but didn't.

Cons:

-Rachel McAdams is wasted unfortunately. She does a good job but it's an editorial mandated role that smacks of Rachel Dawes. Without here there'd hardly be any women in it tho.

-I think the origin went by a bit too quick. Like, 5 minute in and he has his car crash. Would've liked to see per-accident Strange shown to be more of a dick.

-No "BY THE HOARY HOATHS OF HOGGOTH!" or "BY THE WANDS OF WATTOMB!"

-Strange is very green in this film, and by the end he's still not the Sorcerer Supreme. It's not a bad thing, but I was hoping to see Cumberbatch own the role with a bit more gravitas

Urban Legend: As far as horror movies of the 90s goes, it's pretty mediocre. Someone just decided that, "Hey! Scream was big! We can capitalize on that!" The movie we get was fairly paint by numbers but the cast was kind of amazing so that just makes it even more weird. Also stupid. So very stupid.

The Cabin in the Woods: As far as meta horror films goes, one of my favorites. There are problems to the film but I still love it.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge: As far as movies to rewatch this year, it wasn't high on my list but we were having a bad movie night and I needed to throw something in there.

Films: 122
Rewatches: 4

Jack Reacher: NEVER GO BACK: Decent. Not as good as the first one but not a bad movie. There's actually a lot less action and more dramatic storytelling involving a potential love child. Cobie Smulders is quite good in it. The supporting players are good. It's not a bad flick, but Cruise is really showing his age which makes me think that's owing to the relative lack of action.

Son of Batman: I watched this a month or two back and forgot to even mention it. It was okay, fun, a good version of Damian Wayne. Also a good adaptation of Batman and Son.

Warcraft: It looks nice? I mean, occasionally. Anything that's not human has obviously been enhanced by or is completely CGI. The plotline is okay but nothing totally special. I will give kudos to them adding Ruth Negga's character to the plot since, otherwise, yeah, there are a near total lack of female characters.

Megapiranha: It's a SyFy original film. It is what it is. There's a scene where a character bicycle kicks piranha's away. It's beautiful. It only gets more wonderfully bad as it goes on.

Mickey's House of Villains: It's mainly a combination of classic Disney Halloween cartoons mixed with cartoons from Mickey Mouseworks. There's the bridging elements which are cute but, overall, this is mainly a repackage of existing elements.

Jetsons: The Movie: Ho boy. Where to begin?  The animation quality is about on the same level as the 80s revival which would be great if this weren't an animated film. Then there's the other parts. Tiffany as Judy Jetson was an obvious cash grab. As a result, there are a couple of weird moments where the film will come to a screeching halt so we can get a music video. Look, it's not a great movie but it was on Netflix so sure, whatever.

10 Things I Hate About You: I'm pretty postitive I didn't watch this yet this year but, oh well, it's good. One of the better films of the late 90s teen movie boom. It also holds up surprisingly well.

Films: 127
Made For TV: 4

The Girl on the Train: Not very good. Emily Blunt does her damnedest and puts in a fine performance, but the directing and much of the screenplay is bad. It's too melodramatic from the get-go. The novel was more down-to-earth and focused on the complexities of the character's very flawed personalities. This film sticks very close to the story, but the way it's shot and edited it comes across as wanting the audience to like these characters. But the characters in both novel and movie are at best unlikable and at worst thoroughly despicable, even when you understand them. Emily Blunt's character's pathetic nature comes through in her performance, but she's not presented as rock-bottom asshe w as in the novel. The character of Megan (whose actress looks distractedly like Jennifer Lawrence) is depicted as this almost fairy of a woman who's malaise in taking on lovers and using men comes across as innocent confusion as opposed to someone who definitively decides to be that certain type of person. Too many close up shots of everyone's cry face. Like Batman vs Superman, this movie operates on a singular tone and emotion and is frustratingly one dimensional. It also tries too hard and has every character say the word "fuck" in really unnaturally sounding ways.

Daria: Is It Fall Yet?: Fun enough. It works well enough with a format longer than a 30 minute episode.

Mallrats: Oddly enough, I think of Kevin Smith's original five films, this one might have aged the best. Yes, the juvenile comedy. It doesn't have the problems of faux-deepness of Clerks and it's upfront with it's misogyny which is better than the wish-fulfillment of Chasing Amy. It's still not a terrific movie but it works for what it is.

Films: 129
Made For TV: 5