Every film you've watched in 2016

Missy

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ant-Man: I had fun. It was better than I expected. Not the greatest movie of all time by far but still a fun ride. It helped that most of the cast was having fun. That said, the one after credits scene had nothing to do with the rest of the movie and was a bit worthless.

An Easter Bunny Puppy: It's a thing.

Films: 19

Kung Fury: last night I was looking for something short as I was sure, feature length would put me to sleep and it turns out KF is only 30 minutes. That immediately brought my interest up from almost nil. I watched it and discovered a dichotomized 80s throwback. It' so dripping in 80s that it out-80s the 80s. I'm getting a little tired of all that, personally. But, the weird part is the CGI. It's fucking great. It looks amazing. So amazing that it's anachronistic to the period of the film. Fun and stupid. And since the effects are so good, I have to guess that the humans moving in the film looking like Mortal Kombat or any other "realistic" looking 90s Arcade game was a choice. Not one I would have made, but a choice nonetheless. The guy with the weird name from Lonely Island plays Hitler, the Kung Fuhrer, so that's pretty great. Also: best onscreen Thor I've ever seen.

Features: 47

Shorts: 20

Documentaries: 4

Ghost World starring Thora Birch, Scarlet Johansson and Steve Buscemi

I mentioned in the comics thread that I really wasn't feeling the source material upon first reading it. I've since re-read it, and come away from it slightly more bemused. Enid and Rebecca (mostly Enid) don't piss me off as much, though they're still bratty people. I still don't really love the Ghost World comic, but I don't hate it as much as I did initially.

The movie is a let-down. Some scenes find their translation in the film, but early on it takes one scene involving a very minor character and turns him into Steve Buscemi, who then takes the majority of the screen-time away from ScarJo's Rebecca. He becomes the secondary main character of the movie, and he and Enid go down a kind of insipid romance. It's fine on it's own, but when compared to the comic it's nothing short of endlessly distracting.

The girls themselves are generally like their comic counterparts, but they swear much less frequently and the hard edge is softened from Enid severely. Scenes like her engaging with Norman at the bench or lines like saying "I don't want to live in a world where a guy like you can't get a date." to Seymour...she would never say that in the comic. To a degree I understand, as the book is so non-linear and dream-like that it doesn't make for a healthy film translation. However the movie feels massaged and relatively safe. The criticism of Enid feels less focused and instead watches like it moves its critical eye towards the bourgeois people around town, which I feel the comic was a lot more sympathetic to. It's a really weird, alternative beast, especially considering that Clowes co-wrote the script. I found myself disliking much of the movie because in not being like the comic there wasn't much to it. The changes didn't plus anything, they either distracted or detracted.

Deadfall: As far as Nic Cage movies, it was boring. Barely anything to write home about.

Aladdin: A few years back, I watched my way through all of the Disney Animated Canon. Aladdin was the exception since the DVD was long out of print at the time and they were twiddling their thumbs on rereleasing it (Seriously, 11 years between releases while Sleeping Beauty only had to wait like six!) so it was nice to finally watch it. It's bittersweet because Robin Williams was half of what made the movie work so well. The other half is that it's an animated film that had something for everyone. Humor, action, romance. Definitely one of the best of the Disney Renaissance. As a Disney Geek, it just works so well.

Films: 21.

Batman - Bad Blood: pretty good. Nice to see something original in the DCAU, even if it's derivative of a bunch of New 52 stuff. My kids really dug Batwing. I felt like it was a little light, with a weird tip of the hat to Batgirl at the end. If she isn't the next animated feature then that didn't make much sense at all.

Features: 50

Batman - Bad Blood: pretty good. Nice to see something original in the DCAU, even if it's derivative of a bunch of New 52 stuff. My kids really dug Batwing. I felt like it was a little light, with a weird tip of the hat to Batgirl at the end. If she isn't the next animated feature then that didn't make much sense at all.

I wonder if it's to service the Killing Joke film coming up

I wonder if it's to service the Killing Joke film coming up

Yeah, maybe. It's weird. Her and Gordon don't even appear in the film. The Bat Signal is a heavy piece of symbolism, but no Gordon. Then, in the last three seconds, here's Batgirl! 

That Uncertain Feeling - My least favorite Lubitsch film so far, lacking in the effortlessly perfect fusion of witty writing and filmmaking. Burgess Meredith is fantastic though. 

Leave Her to Heaven - A film noir shot as a drama, in Technicolor. Gene Tierney delivers some all-time great facial expressions, and Vincent Price has a standout early role as a lawyer out for blood.

Crime Wave - Quick and to the point movie about a law-abiding ex-con blackmailed into a job, and the detective who considers him guilty until proven innocent. Highlights are the opening robbery, the stark black and white cinematography, and Sterling Hayden chewing toothpicks and yelling at people as the detective. 

The Fury - Brian De Palma does Scanners better several years before it. Kirk Douglas is in it, and there's no "I'm not at the top anymore" phoning it in; he's great as always.

Cloverfield - Since it was at the beginning of found footage, it has more ambition and life in it than what's followed; T.J. Miller is the prototypical "guy holding the camera you can't wait to die horribly" though. Some surprisingly effective graphic moments. 

Night Catches Us - Starring Anthony Mackie and Kerry Washington, set in 1976 Philadelphia, dealing with how former Black Panthers are living their lives. Well told drama of a subject that hasn't been allowed to have much of a light shone on it.

Knock Knock - The first half twists male fantasy into a nightmare, the second is so ridiculous that it burns through most of the goodwill earned. 

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Thoughts in the thread.

Films: 70

Alien3 - Not terrible but just uninteresting, really. I don't know if the Assembly Cut(Which I don't have yet, I really need the Anthology set) will be any better.

If the Assembly Cut is the Director's Cut, then give it a pass. Totally worse than theatrical. That's one of the few times studio interference really helped the film.

Gamera: Revenge of Iris

What We Do In The Shadows-all of these are for reviews, but I can't remember the last time I watched four movies in a row that I liked so much.

Features: 54

Edited by Dread