Every film you've watched in 2016

Missy

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Grand Budapest Hotel: I am actually torn here. This was definitely a Wes Anderson film and it might actually be one of his best. What I'm torn on is whether Anderson's shtick is keeping him from advancing as an artist. Don't get me wrong, I love his visual style. This might be the most Wes Anderson film to ever happen which is part of my point: There's not a lot new here outside of working in a period piece. I dunno, I feel like I'm going to need to digest this one again because I liked it so much that I feel bad that that's the thing I got caught on.

Final Girl: Speaking of being torn. On one hand, this movie has a lot going for it visually. On the other hand, there's very little substance to anything going on. Also, after having watched Scream Queens, it's weird watching Abigail Breslin playing a completely different role in the exact same genre.

Films: 24

Edited by dc20willsave

This is the End: I was pretty impressed with how self-deprecating the people in this movie were, especially Michael Cera. He was amazing. Amazing in that he's hardly in the movie which helps. Great creature design, a pretty amazing balance of comedy and darkness, and solid effects. This could have been an amazing harrowing horror film too, but the comedy was fun.

Features: 57

Shorts: 20

Documentaries: 4

Final Girl: Speaking of being torn. On one hand, this movie has a lot going for it visually. On the other hand, there's very little substance to anything going on. Also, after having watched Scream Queens, it's weird watching Abigail Breslin playing a completely different role in the exact same genre.

You should probably listen to Monday's episode of Dread Media. 

Addams Family Values: As much as I love the original, this is a good example of a sequel that surpasses. Christina Ricci is the stand-out but the entire cast is above and beyond. Only quibble is what ultimately occurs with Debbie but oh well.

Kingsman: The Secret Service: A fun movie. By no way perfect but mostly fun.

Films: 26

Justice League vs. Teen Titans: The best of the DC DTVs since James Tucker replaced Bruce Timm as head-of-whatever. It helps that it was written by Bryan Q. Miller of Steph Brown Batgirl fame. What makes it fun for me is in large part to how true to the Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans comics it is, becoming the closest to the source material the Titans have ever had. First time we see the Nightwing/Starfire relationship referenced (it had been hinted at in movies prior) and it's the first time Kori's name is said out loud IIRC. Raven's dark-as-fuck origin fnally gets it's full due as well.There's a mid-credit teaser at the end which demands a sequel.

The Wizard: This was a movie I always enjoyed when I was a kid. As an adult, I recognize it as a commercial for Nintendo but I can't seem to care. It's just that movie I always watched when I was little and the only reason I knew where that blasted warp whistle was in Super Marion Bros. World 1's fortress.

The Peanuts Movie: I nonironically love Peanuts. It's tradition for me to watch the specials around major Holidays and I was skeptical as fuck around this movie. The fact that is was Blue Skies doing it and that it was CGI helped keep me wary. It feels like Peanuts. It does have a problem with trying to include every character but still, it felt right, like something that Charles Schultz would have approved of.

Films: 28

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: It's a fun little light comedy. It lacks the drama or some of the wit of the series that would evolve out of it but still, I enjoyed it enough, That said, it's been a few years and when I wasn't looking at the screen, I kept expecting Merrick to welcome us to the Hunger Games.

Muppets Most Wanted: I am a big fan of The Muppets. While this isn't as good as the film that preceded it, it's still fun. The first song about sequels not being as good as the original nailed it. The problem is that Ricky Gervais as one of the villains is always just kind of there.

Films: 30

Alien - Just felt like watching it, and I don't think I'd ever seen the theatrical cut. I still prefer the Director's Cut for the additional scenes but you can't go wrong either way. This might be one of my favorite movies. Although every time I watch it I question having the Alien get stuck in the pipes. Still, the finale's sold by Ellen Ripley losing it, as she's singing that song.

Clue: This was one of my favorite movies growing up and one that I can quote non-stop. I believe I've said my piece on this before but still, just a movie I can watch a thousand times and still be entertained.

The Brady Bunch Movie: A movie I've seen many times as well. It works mostly. Sure, it's a pretty dumb comedy but it also works as an affectionate parody of the original series.

The Final Girls: Not to be confused with the slasher deconstruction of nearly the same name also starring Alexander Ludwig. It's also a loving tribute to the 80s slasher camp films. I really enjoyed it. There are some moments in the middle that are a little too hardcore parody but it has some very good and very strong heart to it. There's a moment at the end that's cheesy as hell but I might have started tearing up. I have no fucking clue why.

Films: 33

Dope: Written and Directed by Rick Famuyiwa

A throwback 90s hood film about a high school kid obsessed with 90s hood culture. A very refreshing movie to watch, enjoyable all the way through. Excellent soundtrack and laugh-out-loud funny at times. Highly recommended.