Every film you've watched in 2016

Missy

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: I usually watch it during my Florida trip every year but didn't get around to it this year. As is, it's there for the multiple levels of nostalgia. Plus, it's a good movie to watch with a couple of drinks.

X-Men: On one hand, tons of fun. On the other, lots of characters who do nothing. Really, Jean does nothing during the big fight sequence. Cyclops doesn't really either. The movie is all about Wolverine but it's fun enough that it's forgivable.

Films: 38

Rewatches: 1

Pitch Perfect 2: It's okay. It's rare that a sequel can be better than the original but sometimes, I guess it just needs to hope to be at 80%. I think it's closer to 65-70% but still. One gripe is that the plot just meanders but most of the stars kept me entertained. I mean, it had some good musical numbers which is about as much as I could hope for. Plus, John Michael Higgens (still channeling Fred Willard in Best in Show) and Elizabeth Banks are a hoot anytime they appear.

Inside Out: I have a thought: Dreamworks films are built to entertain. Pixar films are built to resonate. They entertain but, when they're at their best, they are making the most of their medium. Inside Out might be the best film that Disney/Pixar has put out since Wall-E. There is just something so special about a film that just centers on the emotions and feelings of the mind. Hell, I might even go out on a limb and say this is my favorite Pixar film of all time. I'll probably need to watch it a couple more times before I can say.

Films: 40

Found: a little overlong and a little poorly acted, but there's real moments of promise. Moments that make you believe the director can make a movie like Harvest Lake which I have little doubt will be my favorite film of the year.

Features: 72

Shorts: 20

Documentaries: 4

Cry-Baby, Rocky Horror Picture Show & Purple Rain - Just going to lump these together because my thoughts are pretty much the same for all of them.  Are they great? No.  They are probably all bad movies.  But damn, they are fun.  Purple Rain is my best of the bunch (with the best soundtrack and Morris Day), but I love them all. 

Justice League: War: Ugh. Boring. Poorly animated. Terrible voice acting. Attacks that do nothing against Darkseid suddenly start working because the plot needs them to. And even though I've had nearly five years to get used to them, goddamn are the New 52 designs terrible and look even worse in a cartoon than they do on a page.

Headless: this appears as a film within a film in Found, but it actually doesn't. It looks like they filmed two scenes for Found and then went and made this one after. This is presented as a lost slasher from 1978. Grimy, like a fifth generation print of Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Depraved, gory, and sick with some hot women. Loved it.

Features: 73

Documentaries: 4

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: Definitely the best Marvel film. It's one of the best action films in recent history and the callbacks to 70s espionage movies makes for a great film. Fuck, just watching the closing credits and they're some of the best I've seen in a movie.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Whereas Winter Solider was the best Marvel film, Guardians is definitely the most fun. It's hard to watch it without smiling almost constantly.

Captain America: Civil War: Thoughts over in the thread. To paraphrase: "It was okay."

Films: 43

Edited by dc20willsave

Welcome to Leith: I've been wanting to see this documentary since seeing the Kickstarter video for it...3 days after the campaign ended. Finally it ended up on Netflix. Bottom line: small North Dakota town of 24 people is invaded by White Supremacists (really only three of them, but three out of 24 is a lot) and many of the US leadership of WPOs come to support him. It didn't turn out like I thought it would. Cobb is a reprehensible fuck and the first hour of the film is pretty compelling but the last half hour is pretty tame. INteresting film though. 

Features: 76

Documentaries: 5

I'm rewatching Singin' in the Rain (which, lest we forget, isn't as good as Speed). I've currently reached the 10 minute vanity dance number Gene Kelly stars in at the beginning of the third act and decided to have my iPod on as I'm not going to miss any dialogue. A song that surprisingly syncs up perfectly at the start of said number? Here Comes Your Man by the Pixies.

Edited by slothian

All that Heaven Allows - The height of American melodrama, an acidic critique of the 1950s American family, with some of the most gorgeous color cinematography in film history.

The Gambler - James Caan on an unwavering path of self-destruction, with a basketball game more tense than any sports movie.

Splendor in the Grass - An exploration of how both the boy and girl in a 1920s relationship are damaged by gender expectations of American society, with maybe Natalie Woods' best performance and a breakout one for Warren Beatty. 

The Arrangement - Elia Kazan attempting to apply the techniques of the French New Wave to a Hollywood movie at the end of the 1960s. It doesn't fully come together, but it's an interesting melding of sensibilities from a director who always tried to push forward.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - A movie that feels caught between the old Hollywood and the new. A lot more jokey than you might expect, Paul Newman and Robert Redford are as charismatic as you'd expect, and its ultimate note on violence is well executed. But as whole, it's a good movie as opposed to the legendary one of its reputation. 

The Panic in Needle Park - A story of heroin addicts in New York City, shot on location with a few documentary touches. Early Al Pachino performance that lets you see some of his tics before they became part of a persona.

Deliverance - Well made, but too polished for the subject matter; I prefer something sleazier and rougher like The Last House on the Left.

The Parallax View - Warren Beatty stumbles investigates an assassination conspiracy in a deeply cynical 70s political thriller. Captain America: The WInter Soldier could never have done this ending, which is why name-checking the era always rings hollow to me.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night - The female lead is a vampire, but the movie's really about the growing relationship between two outsiders who have done terrible things, in gorgeous black and white. Also takes a different route with the concept of the female vampire than the traditional succubus. 

The African Queen - 80% of this movie is spent with Katharine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart going from bickering to falling in love on a boat, with Bogart playing against type in a more comedic role. If that sounds like a fine evening to you, you'll love this. 

Films: 80 

The African Queen - 80% of this movie is spent with Katharine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart going from bickering to falling in love on a boat, with Bogart playing against type in a more comedic role. If that sounds like a fine evening to you, you'll love this. 

Damning with faint praise there!