Every film you've watched in 2016

Missy

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure: Figured it was time to show the boys this little movie, I remember loving when I was a kid. Pretty sure I haven't seen it in over 20 years. And fuck does it ever stand up. I love this movie. The whole family did. Hilarious and smart throughout. I totally forgot that Bill has an incredibly hot stepmom which is the conflict that provides my favorite line of the film. Bogus Journey next.

Features: 130

Shorts: 64

Documentaries: 9

Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit: A movie that if I see it on TV while flipping through channels, I'm probably stopping on it.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Far from the best in the series but it's alright, nothing special. Daniel Radcliffe could not get the haircut in the next one soon enough.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me: While not the end all essential part of the Twin Peaks experience, still a major highlight. Sheryl Lee puts in one of the best and most haunting performances I have ever seen. Ian, Dave, expect feedback when you get to it.

Films: 80
Documentaries: 1
Rewatches: 3
Made For TV: 1

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure: Figured it was time to show the boys this little movie, I remember loving when I was a kid. Pretty sure I haven't seen it in over 20 years. And fuck does it ever stand up. I love this movie. The whole family did. Hilarious and smart throughout. I totally forgot that Bill has an incredibly hot stepmom which is the conflict that provides my favorite line of the film.

Excellent! :buttrock:

Which line? 

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure: Figured it was time to show the boys this little movie, I remember loving when I was a kid. Pretty sure I haven't seen it in over 20 years. And fuck does it ever stand up. I love this movie. The whole family did. Hilarious and smart throughout. I totally forgot that Bill has an incredibly hot stepmom which is the conflict that provides my favorite line of the film.

Excellent! :buttrock:

Which line? 

During their history presentation, Freud has just finished psychoanalyzing Ted, when he offers to examine Bill who then says: "Nah, I'm fine, just got a minor Oedipal complex" before the camera switches to his father and hot stepmom in the audience. Perfection.

I'd go so far as to put this in the top 5 comedies of the 80s.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The original film from the 90s. I still say it holds up pretty well. The costumes might be spotty at times but they're still pretty great the rest. Also, I totally never noticed the entire plotline with the corrupt police when I was a kid.

Vampires: Brighter in the Darkness: Okay, look, someone was going to make a gay Twilight knock-off with no budget. This appears to be it and... it's almost on the same level as Abe's Tomb as far as shitty vampire movies goes. It gets points for occasionally having something resembling a budget but still, really bad.

Bright Night: German film. It's boring and then I think time travel gets involved? I have no fucking clue. It starts out as your standard "Two Couples in a cabin" drama and then one of them just starts... I think time traveling. With no explanation or hint that that was going to happen. Seriously, what the living fuck?

Films: 83

Superfly: Far and away the most 70s movie I have ever seen in my life. A movie that claims to have an anti-drug message, the delivery of that message is severely mixed. Ron O
'Neal however gave a very strong performance that carried much of the film.

Superfly: Far and away the most 70s movie I have ever seen in my life. A movie that claims to have an anti-drug message, the delivery of that message is severely mixed. Ron O
'Neal however gave a very strong performance that carried much of the film.

Just went to see my friend perform at a local festival and she fucking rocked a cover of Curtis Mayfield's "Superfly."

Vampires: Brighter in the Darkness: Okay, look, someone was going to make a gay Twilight knock-off with no budget. This appears to be it and... it's almost on the same level as Abe's Tomb as far as shitty vampire movies goes. It gets points for occasionally having something resembling a budget but still, really bad.

Vampires: Lucas Rising: Somehow, the sequel is worse. Much worse.

Rifftrax Live: Sharknado: Hilarious. Almost makes it worth watching Sharknado.

Faust: Love of the Damned: A laugh a minute comedy. Oh, it's not supposed to be a comedy? Ehhh.

Films: 85
Rifftrax Assisted: 1

Suicide Squad: I fucking loved it. It certainly borrows tone from GotG and that also might be the only Marvel movie better than it. Characters were awesome (a little sketchy on the Killer Croc design and the original incarnation of Enchantress is wayyyyy cooler). It not only earned its runtime, it made me want more. It's the only comic movie that has done that in recent memory. A little jumpy in story. A bit of a clusterfuck effects third act, but that's EVERY comic movie. Smith, Robbie, Rodriguez and Davis were next level great. Not sure exactly how I feel about Leto's Joker. This incarnatio of DC movies is really trying to take the iconic villains in a different way. I loved Eisenberg's Luthor, I'm just not sure about Let's Joker. I'll take a second viewing, because I'm buying this.

Features: 135

Shorts: 68

Documentaries: 9

Chaos on the Bridge: one of a number of Star Trek documentaries supposedly written and directed by William Shatner. This particular one looks at the genesis and first couple of seasons of TNG and how it was a genuine shitshow behind the scenes due almost entirely to Gene Roddenberry having lost his damn mind. There's an impressive number of people more than willing to tell their story, from actors to writers to producers to studio executives, and they all paint the picture of a man who had a sizable success a couple of decades previously and was now desperate to hang onto that after years of never again being able to get a project sold or off the ground. Further, he'd spent twenty years listening to fans tell him what a genius he was, and that (along with an insistence that nothing interesting ever happen on the Enterprise, ever) created an impossible situation where three dozen writers left the show in two years. The doc itself is short, under an hour, but the information is really interesting if you like this kind of thing.

Strange Days: One of the best science fiction scripts in a movie (written by James Cameron and directed by Kathryn Bigelow) where the VR gimmick isn't the hook of the movie but what such believably futuristic technology does to people. The themes and overall narrative of the movie are depressingly resonant in 2016 with race riots and moving beyond the past into the future at the heart of everything going on in this film. It's a brilliantly written movie bolstered by strong performances by Ralph Fiennes and Angela Bassett. There's a pivotal scene about 30ish minutes in that feature the most horrific, sick and evil sequence of rape I have ever seen in my life. It is profoundly disturbing, but not without narrative meaning. Still, the one thing I wish was that the final bad guy revealed at the end had a more intricate personality. You just don't do what this guy did and not be more than what he was, which was a run-of-the-mil villain douchebag. What he did in the film speaks towards a very singular kind of evil.

Space Cop: I finally got around to watching RedLetterMedia's original movie and I gotta say I had a really great time with it.  It was much better than I had expected based on the overall reaction.  And I actually watched their "VHS version" which may have positively affected my opinion.

Suicide Squad: It was terrible but I had fun.

Jason Bourne: Incomprehensible nonsense.

Star Trek Beyond: I was asleep.