Every film you've watched in 2016

Missy

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Batman: The Killing Joke - About a third of it is good, namely the Killing Joke right up to the ending. Everything else is hit-or-miss. The voice acting is generally strong. Animation is good for the action scenes, but iffy on the human bits. The ending, like in the book, isn't earned. And I didn't like the directing for that part. It might have just been my reading of that scene, but I always thought it should've been delivered a little more seriously and awkwardly. 

Basically watching movies all day, so I'll just amend this as I go:

I Am Thor: a Netflix doc encapsulating the career of Jon Mikl Thor, Canadian Heavy Metal legend. This is very similar to Anvil: The Story of Anvil, however, after ANVIL, I felt like I dodged a bullet getting out of professional music when I did. After I Am Thor, I want to give it another shot. Seriously, in tears at the end before the final line makes me laugh my ass off. Thor's a great guy who I've met a couple times, even opened for him twice, one of those shows I'M SURE is filmed in this doc (at Studebaker's Cabaret), and you want him to succeed. His bandmates are great too. I know like five people in this doc personally, so it was weird to see that too.

Hush: review forthcoming, but I'm crushing really hard on the ,main character of this movie right now.

Tig: another doc. Great. I laughed my ass off. I cried like 7 times. It's fantastic. Great comedian + one terrible year = life transformed. 

Punk's Dead: SLC Punk 2: a weird sequel that references like every character form the first film except the main character. Perhaps Matthew Lillard was correct in not wanting to even be mentioned in this shit-show. Think about that for a second. Matthew Lillard making a good film choice. The main character of this film (the son of a dead character from the first film) is quite possibly the WORST character I've ever seen in a film.

Frankenstein Created Woman: review forthcoming

Features: 144

Shorts: 75

Documentaries: 12

Edited by Dread

Ghostbusters: Loved it. I'm not sure if it's a better film than the original, but it's certainly funnier and smarter. Perfectly cast. Kate McKinnon has two favorites in my sons and I cannot disagree in the slightest. Megan has discovered the joys of Chris Hemsworth, so no maybe she can take my kids to all that Marvel shit. Probably my favorite theatrical filmgoing experience of the year. That said, I'm not sure if it will make my top ten.

Features: 145

Shorts: 76

Documentaries: 12

Don't Think Twice: An absolute must-see for anyone even moderately interested in improv comedy or with big artistic aspirations. More cathartic and true to life than funny. My only quibble is that

in this film's universe, the Saturday Night Live equivalent is apparently the only late night comedy show in town.

Still, watch it.

RED: kicking myself I waited so long to watch this. Loved it. The only thing that bugged me in this entire movie is that Karl Urban, who has

uncovered the plot to kill the VP

decides to go to the bathroom while on duty. Not only that, he takes alike a 10 minute walk to do so. So fucking weird.

Features: 146

Documentaries: 13

Bad Moms: you know, I take my wife to Ghostbusters and she wants to bang Chris Hemsworth. I take my wife to Bad Moms and she wants to bang Jay Hernandez. I'm beginning to think being a Meninist is the right way to go.

Features: 147

Documentaries: 13

Southside With You: A film about the first date between Barack Obama Michelle Robinson, there's an automatic shade of humorous camp going into this film. Having read "Dreams of my Father", the movie is replete with triva-based factoids about the Obamas' pre-presidential life. It's honestly a perfectly enjoyable movie. The performances are quite good, although there's certainly an element of impersonation with Parker Sawyer's Barack. The funniest thing about the film is how smarmy and just-short-of sleazy Barack comes off in this. He's pretty pimp, though he gets called on his shenanigans at every turn. Look for Dinesh D'Souza's spiritual sequel in the future about how this was the first step towards destroying America.

I'd never heard of Dinesh D'Souza until that post above - looking at his Wikipedia article, I wish that had remained the case. Still, couldn't you argue back to every point he's trying to make by saying "but you're a convicted felon - why should I trust you?"