Every film you've watched in 2016

Missy

I'm more than due for a rewatch of Singin' in the Rain. Only seen it a few times, and maybe only once all the way through (I owned it on VHS, where it was split between two tapes). I also need to see Speed. Until then, I'm firmly in the West Side Story camp.

Edited by You Know Who

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the midst of a day of Horror films so expect regular updates.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil: Absolutely terrific Horror Comedy. This is my third or fourth time watching the movie and it's still funny. The horror elements are stuff we've all seen before but that's the point. This is the backwoods horror film only the killer hillbillies aren't killers, just a bunch of really dumb kids.

Hush: Terrifically shot film. Home intruder films are a very common part of the horror genre so you need to make sure your gimmick sets it apart. I think Hush does a great job. It's a film consisting of a couple of actors with our lead playing a deaf woman. It makes some great use of sound editing at the very least.

Films: 107
Documentaries: 1
Rewatches: 3
Rifftrax Assisted: 2
Made For TV: 2

Eight Days a Week (2016): Ron Howard's documentary of the Beatles' touring years (1962-1966). Not a lot of new information, but extremely well done and interesting nonetheless. A lot of it is talking head interviews of famous fans, and there's a bit where Sigourney Weaver talks about how much she loved the band and went nuts over them as a kid, and there's a clip of a performance where a 12-year-old Weaver is in the audience losing her shit. Priceless. Afterwards, the theatrical screening showed the 1965 Shea Stadium concert in its entirety, and that was pretty amazing as well.

Doctor Mordrid (1992): In the wake of Batman '89, Marvel sold or optioned a bunch of its properties to B- and C-grade movie studios. A few saw the light of day (Captain America, The Punisher), most didn't (I still kinda want to see what a Spider-Man or Power Man movie from Cannon Films would have looked like), and then there's this. Full Moon Pictures (Demonic Toys, Puppet Master) got the option to Doctor Strange but couldn't get their shit together in time before losing the rights. Not one to let that kind of thing stop him, Charles Band took the script, crossed out "Stephen Strange", wrote in "Anton Mordrid" and went ahead with filming anyway. A no-budget, direct-to-VHS endeavor starring Jeffrey Combs in the title role, this is seventy-five minutes of goofy nonsense that does its best and is exactly what you should be picturing when I say "Full Moon tried to do a Doctor Strange movie in the early 90s".

Singin' in the Rain: Arguably the best movie musical of all time. Not much I can add to that.

How well did the 45 minute interlude at the beginning of act 3 hold up? The one where Gene Kelly just dances by dint of dream sequence?

You are a philistine.

Singin' in the Rain: Arguably the best movie musical of all time. Not much I can add to that.

How well did the 45 minute interlude at the beginning of act 3 hold up? The one where Gene Kelly just dances by dint of dream sequence?

You are a philistine.

Impossible. I'm English. 

Cur? Knave? 

I'm quite partial to knave!

As stated last year, I appreciate that Singin' in the Rain is doubtlessly in the upper echelons of the golden age of Hollywood musicals, Kelly is unquestionably an excellent dancer, there’s some great sound-based comedy and I love the performance of Donald O'Connor. That being said, I'm not partial to the genre and the plot only really sustains 30 minutes of run time, hence the insane padding of certain dance sequences. 

And Speed's totally a better film. I mean, it isn't, but I really enjoy saying that it is! 

Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders (2016): Very fun, if waaaaaaay overlong and repetitive. It doesn't seem to know what tone it wants to set, and it goes back and forth between being a pitch-perfect recreation of Batman '66 and something that pokes fun at Batman '66, and the latter is making fun of a thing that makes fun of a thing, which is too far. It hits a lot of easy jokes, but is also really sharp and clever in places. Most of the voice work is quite good; Adam West is in "Mayor West" mode throughout, and Julie Newmar's voice is unrecognizable (although her actual acting is pretty decent), but it's like Burt Ward never left. Overall enjoyable, but my attention did wander some.

The Invitation: I don't mind a movie with a long burn. More than a few horror films work with that. The constant build of dread is wonderful. Then you have cases where you have nearly an hour and a half of build-up to a 15 minute climax. That's more annoying than anything else to me.

A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3: Dream Warriors: Probably my favorite in the series. This is peak Freddy. Just the right mix of snark and scary.

The Lost Boys: I could probably write an entire essay on queer subtext in The Lost Boys. There is definitely a lot to be said about the film from that standpoint. As a vampire movie, it's a good mix of camp and gore.

The Faculty: There are many movies that I'll say are much better than they have any right to be. This is definitely one of those. It has such an eclectic cast. John Stewart, Piper Laurie, Salma Hayek, Elijah Wood. I mean, it's a teenage take on Invasion of the Body Snatchers and it works for the most part.

The Craft: A year later and I'm still not sure if this is a good movie or bad. There are moments where it really works. Then, by the end of act 2, it really starts to become an entirely different movie. Like, it feels like it would have worked better as a Coven of the Traveling Pants than what actually happens.

Films: 112
Made For TV: 2

Halloween with The New Addams Family: Despite the name, it's an 70s tv reunion movie. It's kinda crap. I mean, John Astin is gone for a good middle chunk and and here to fore unmentioned brother, Pancho shows up who dresses and acts just like Gomez. Then you add in a second imposter Gomez at one point. There's honestly just too much trying to recapture the original charm of The Addams Family. Give me The Brady Girls Get Married over this shit anyday.

Films: 112
Made For TV: 3

Shin Godzilla - Could've lost 15-20 minutes without suffering much, but man did I love this. Despite the talkiness, it never stops being engaging. There's some amazingly crafted monster scenes here that are easily in the upper tier of the genre (One scene in particular was breathtaking). A very daring movie for the franchise and hopefully the beginning of a Godzilla resurgence. 

Mulan: This was always a favorite of mine from childhood, even though it's in the second half of the Disney renaissance when the films started going downhill. But I've always enjoyed this because the action is really good and there are some great visuals. Shan Yu was a damn good villain, with a great design, voice by Jim Cummings and a real presence. Except for maybe Frollo, the previous Disney villains all had moments of camp that could undercut their threat level. This guy was badass and whenever he's on screen the characters are in legitimate danger.

But the movie's great all around, with terrific animation that still holds up, especially the snow-mountain fight. Ming Na Wen and BD Wong are great voice actors in it as well.