Every film you've watched in 2016

Missy

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost Souls: the behind the scenes documentary on Island of Dr. Moreau. I can't imagine a more fucked-up filmmaking experience. Fun viewing. I know everyone knows about Brando, but no one will ever look at Val Kilmer the same way.

Features: 165

Shorts: 90

Documentaries: 14

Ghostbusters (2016) Extended Edition: Still pretty funny. A lot of the extra scenes were cut for a reason, but a lot of them actually made things make more sense; a number of "why did this person do this thing" situations would have been explained by keeping some very brief scenes in the original version. Overall this cut is stronger than the theatrical release, and still quite a bit of fun.

Here's a thing about Ghostbusters that bothered me. And it isn't just GB, it's most films that include a similar scene. The heavy metal concert. It's so wrong and stupid that it's just plain ridiculous. These movies are made by people who live in NY or LA. In either of these cities, you can go and see a heavy metal concert for like 10 bucks any night of the week. I just wish someone would do that before they make one a set piece in their film.

Set it Off: Pretty dang good, majorly carried by sublime performances by the four leads. It's interesting seeing Jada Pinkett look so extremely young even though she was like 25, and acting the hell out of this movie. Queen Latifah is also pretty much never like this in any other film or music persona, but she carries a Dre or Tupac kind of vibe that works. S'also kinda funny seeing John C. McGinely in a serious role.

The Witches: I can both see why Roald Dahl disowned this movie but there are so many reasons that it works. It is genuinely creepy and has some terrific make-up. Angelica Houston is just fucking awesome as the villain. Then you have problems like the happy ending and the actor playing Luke being annoying as fuck. It's far from a perfect movie.

Angel Heart: Atmospheric. I'm amazed I hadn't seen thsi before, especially considering the sub-genre of horror that it falls under. I knew certain parts of the movie from osmosis but the ending really threw me for a loop. Definitely creeped me out more than once. Gonna watch again sometime.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let's Do The Time Warp Again: Ho boy. Where to start... It's a more sanitized remake of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, definitely too clean at times. There are things I liked (Brad who is usually beyond boring, some of the versions of the songs weren't bad, some original choreography), things I didn't (the actress playing Colombia, how stilted a good potion of the acting was, how polished everything is), and stuff that I'm still not sure about (Laverne Cox as Frank-n-Furter, Riff-Raff). Probably not going to be watching again.

Films: 115
Documentaries: 1
Rewatches: 3
Rifftrax Assisted: 2
Made For TV: 4