Every film you've watched in 2016

Missy

I'm not sure that was mansplaining because she's from a culture that willingly cut itself from the rest of the world for millennia and preaches that all men are filth. If it were Etta Candy or another woman raised in normal human society in that hospital bed, it certainly would be.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True Memoirs of an International Assassin: dumb fun. A remarkably overplayed concept that still manages to be a little fresh. Kevin James is, at times, a believable action hero and there are a couple great set-pieces. Would never watch again, but did not dislike the experience. I would rather watch Spy.

Party Night: feature for the festival

Features: 194

Shorts: 102

Documentaries: 14

Rewatches: 1

D2: The Mighty Ducks: I needed background noise. This more than sufficed.

Scrooged: I would say Home Alone, Christmas Vacation, and the original A Miracle on 34th Street outrank it as far as Christmas movies go. It's funny, imaginative, dark, and sentimental without straying into schmaltz.

Films: 141
Documentaries: 1
Rewatches: 4
Rifftrax Assisted: 3
Made For TV: 6

Edited by dc20willsave

The Phantom (1996): Starring Billy Zane.

I had a blast with this. The weakest element is script in that it's a touch too arch, but otherwise I thought this was a lot of fun. The cinematography is positively gorgeous. Billy Zane is one of the most charming leading men ever, and he affects a continually bemused, natural and at-ease Phantom. Kristy Swanson is good, but the movie runs out of things for her to do a third of the way in. Treat Williams is a very fun bad guy who's enjoying himself. Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa is the exact same as he is in every movie I've seen him in, which is the say the baddest Mo'Fo in the cosmos. I really like the legacy hero aspect, and while the pulp setting of the film isn't really all that integral to the story, it'd a pleasant setting nonetheless. This is a pretty forgotten movie, but if anyone conjures it up in conversation and says "Oh yeah, that was godawful. Worst movie ever", they're trying to impress you with their lazy memory and critique. Lots of fun.

Shin Godzilla (Godzilla: Resurgence): Written and co-direction by Hideaki Anno, my brain rapist.

I've not seen any of the Godzilla films to any real capacity, but like with all other pop culture icons I feel I have a decent idea as to what a film of his feels like. This was awesome. Having seen Evangelion, I find this to be transparently an Anno project. From the filming to the military and political reactions to the use of the score. It works like kismet because NGE was very much a Godzilla-esque kind of story. I've no other film to compare this to, but I thought this was a classic kind of its story. I'd love to see a floow up where he fights other monsters.

Shin Godzilla (Godzilla: Resurgence): Written and co-direction by Hideaki Anno, my brain rapist.

I've no other film to compare this to, but I thought this was a classic kind of its story. I'd love to see a floow up where he fights other monsters.

If you were going to check out other Godzilla movies, I recommend the very first one from 1954, and (my personal favorite) Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla from 2002. The former, of course because it's a classic. The latter is a very fun romp, with just enough worldbuilding and character development. It also has some NGE inspirations, which is why I was onboard with Shin Godzilla from the start. It has a sequel called Tokyo SOS which is a serviceable retread plus Mothra.

A Christmas Story: the absolute best Christmas film ever made. Holds up so well. Megan hadn't ever seen it and the boys haven't either. Great time watching. Cade's realized how much like Ralphie he looks. 

Alone/Close Encounters of the Old Age: shorts for the festival

Features: 199

Shorts: 109

Documentaries: 14

Rewatches: 1

Watched it plain.

Definitely watch the MST3k episode. One of the best of the series. It's a Joel era episode. I also highly recommend the other Christmas episode. "Santa Claus" which might be better but both are hilarious. I haven't charted MST3k watches this year, might do that next since I include the RiffTrax watches.

Anyway, topic...

Hairspray Live!: Uneven. There were some very real technical problems going on with the production and all the "Let's interview people" segments they included really took me out of it. Still, Jennifer Hudson kicked ass.

Clue: Because Dan mentioned it above. My response is also above.

Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi: Unintentional marathoned it. I signed up for PSVue as a trial and it was on yesterday so I watched them. It's the Special Editions and, coming off of watching The Despecialized Editions last year, the additions are very noticeable. Some add to the film, others... yeah. Jedi is the worst offender. Empire, I know they changed the hologram of the Emperor but, other than that, it looks likely mainly touch ups. The first film, mixed bag of changes.

Films: 144
Documentaries: 1
Rewatches: 5
Rifftrax Assisted: 3
Made For TV: 7

During my rewatch last year, I was struck by how much Melinda Dillon makes that movie. 

The parents are brilliant. Darren McGavin's performance is FAR MORE understated than you think when you watch his face during scenes where he doesn't speak a lot. Truly underrated performances from both of them. Interestingly, Dillon is credited first in the film.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex:: Solid State Society: A loose adaptation of the "Puppeteer" storyline from the GitS manga, which was adapted originally in the '95 film, I liked this better than the last few episodes of 2nd Gig. It was pretty solid and character driven all around.

Grizzly Man: My first Herzog flick.

Didn't Herzog make a sequel (or remake) to a Nicolas Cage movie with intentionally no knowledge of the previous film?  I have thought of making fan art to characters or objects of things I have never seen only heard about. Herzog ing may not take off but it is fun to do every once in a while.