Every film you've watched in 2016

Missy

Grizzly Man: My first Herzog flick.

Didn't Herzog make a sequel (or remake) to a Nicolas Cage movie with intentionally no knowledge of the previous film?  I have thought of making fan art to characters or objects of things I have never seen only heard about. Herzog ing may not take off but it is fun to do every once in a while.

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. Herzog is truly a bright spot of human existence. Fitzcarraldo, Nosferatu, Aguirre the Wrath of God, it goes on and on. Try his narrative films.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find: It has cool monsters, but that's really about it. It feels like Rowling wrote a 300-to-400 page script which Yates and Co. hacked to pieces. Eddie Redmayne mutters and stutters like a Hugh Grant character and none of the 20s American characters are nearly interesting as their later British counterparts. There were also moments that baffled even a big Potter fan like me and the gang finds the escaped beasts way too easily in the city that large. And yes, that fix...

If I were still doing PotterWatch, I'd probably teeter between giving it a low 3 or a high 2 out of 5.

O well. At least we'll be getting young Dumbledore in the next film.

Dumb and Dumber: For Cade's birthday party, we watched this one. The boys love it, and I'll be damned if it doesn't consistently hold up. I must have seen it 15 times by now and still laugh my ass off at all the same shit.

Red Christmas: feature for the festival

Features: 206

Shorts: 115

Documentaries: 14

Rewatches: 1

Frozen: It's not perfect but it's still pretty decent.

The Ref: Look, people, I know everyone likes to tout Die Hard as their favorite alternative Christmas movie. I present The Ref as another option. A great dark comedy, excellently acted, and just a big surprise to me.

Rogue One: I enjoyed it greatly. I would actually rank this as my fourth favorite Star Wars film.

Films: 147
Documentaries: 1
Rewatches: 5
Rifftrax Assisted: 3
Made For TV: 7

Batman: The Killing Joke: Watched it after finishing Batgirl to Oracle's five-hour-plus review/call-in episode on The Killing Joke, which I highly recommend (Episodes 84 and 85, from July of 2014). Not this film, though. The first half hour is awful, the last forty-five minutes is dull and slavish to the source material (though effective nightmare fuel) and all around, the animation is stiff and awkward. Batman looks like an odd hybrid between the Justice League and Brave and the Bold versions, and the Joker only really looks good in the shot homaging his (possible) debut in the flashback sequence. I'm guessing this is the other awful Batman film you suffered through this year, Donovan?

Deadpool: Extremely amusing. The opening credits are amazing and I love how the film actually plays out what happens in them. The first half is better than second and Not Tom Hardy isn't a very interesting villain, but

X-Men: Apocalypse: The opening scene, credits, and half an hour in general are pretty strong, but I don't buy an distraught Magneto joining Apocalypse period, let alone so easily, and by the time he destroyed Auschwitz, the film had completely lost me. Oscar Isaac's talent is completely wasted on Apocalypse and Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique makeup looks awful. As always, there are too many mutants and only a few of them have an ounce of personality. Everyone angered about First Class' treatment of its non-white characters and its manipulation should be just as upset with this one.

It's biggest sin, though, is that it actively ruins the previous films -- in part by recycling and cheapening Nightcrawler and Quicksilver's scenes from them, but mostly by making mutants and the destruction they wreak so public, that normal people should know about them beforehand and their hatred of them in the first three films is retroactively justified. Xavier and his new X-Men would be arrested or killed the moment the film ends. If you argue that because of the climax of Days of Future Past that the first three films didn't happen or happened differently, then this film confirms that and hurts its immediate predecessor too. Not even the Star Wars prequels (Rogue One excluded) gutted their original trilogy nearly as bad.

Deadpool deserves a good sequel and I'm very interested in Logan (helped in part by the post-credits tease) but please let this be the last X-Men team film until the franchise is rebooted.

Edited by You Know Who

Colin Quinn: New York Story - fun, informative one man show about immigrants coming to New York all combining to create the "New York Attitude".

The Boy/Don't Breathe/Lights Out/Train to Busan/The Greasy Strangler: review forthcoming.

Hunters for Metal: short for the festival

Features: 211

Documentaries: 15

Batman: The Killing Joke: Watched it after finishing Batgirl to Oracle's five-hour-plus review/call-in episode on The Killing Joke, which I highly recommend (Episodes 84 and 85, from July of 2014). Not this film, though. The first half hour is awful, the last forty-five minutes is dull and slavish to the source material (though effective nightmare fuel) and all around, the animation is stiff and awkward. Batman looks like an odd hybrid between the Justice League and Brave and the Bold versions, and the Joker only really looks good in the shot homaging his (possible) debut in the flashback sequence. I'm guessing this is the other awful Batman film you suffered through this year, Donovan?

Ho yeah. Stella talks about it on her giant SDCC episode for this year, but we found out about the big scene right before we were set to interview Brian Azarello. Bertone straight up, out of the gate asked him why he did that, and he denied it and refused to talk about it (it was leaked hours before the premiere). Stella had a particularly rough time at the con this year anyway, and that was just another kick to the ribs.

I wrote about the controversy here (http://thebatmanuniverse.net/batman-the-killing-joke-14/), but for everything else I honestly thought Conroy and Hamill had great moments in it. The animation is pure garbage though, I'm sorry. Any excuse that the production team feels like inventing can't hide that fact. I thought they did nail two key elements, one being the presentation of the pictures during the ride, and the ending. But the whole "R RATED" factor felt cheap when you have guys saying "effing" instead of "fucking", and are too afraid to shown a grown man's naked ass. That's just ridiculous, and on the whole made me like the original comic more than I did the last two years since Stella and I recorded that episode. But the whole story never needs to be told ever again.

Punisher Warzone: watched this on Christmas Eve on a channel my in-laws have dedicated entirely to action movies. I will take many more of these over anything else Marvel Studios has planned. This was fun as fuck and even a little dangerous. Pretty greatly acted by people who knew what they were doing and...Julie Benz as a brunette. Ok.

Features: 212

Documentaries: 15

Punisher Warzone: watched this on Christmas Eve on a channel my in-laws have dedicated entirely to action movies. I will take many more of these over anything else Marvel Studios has planned. This was fun as fuck and even a little dangerous. Pretty greatly acted by people who knew what they were doing and...Julie Benz as a brunette. Ok.

Take that, Wilson!

Take that, Wilson!

Nicholson.gif

Take that, Wilson!

Horribly directed, though. What with the tone jumping everywhere.

Also, I don't agree with Des in all instances. Case in point, re: Episode 211, Phantom of the Paradise > Streets of Fire. By a wide margin.

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York: We see a lot of what made the first one work exaggerated. Biggest example: Most of Kevin's traps in the original were harmful but not overly deadly. In this one, The Bandits should have both been dead multiple times. It makes this one so much more of a cartoon.

Home Alone: The Holiday Heist: Straight to TV film, barely anything to do with the original and some weird morals. Also, despite Kevin not being part of the film, still couldn't help but think of this.

A Christmas Wedding Date: Jesus Christ, what is with Christmas Movie using the Groundhog Day formula?

Arthur Christmas: Cute movie.

The Mistle-Tones: Made For TV Christmas movie about Christmas Caroling groups. Probably trying to work off of Pitch perfect's hype. It's not bad but completely predictable.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation: One of my two favorite Christmas movies. I love it so much and it always serves as a good end to the holiday season.

Films: 150
Documentaries: 1
Rewatches: 5
Rifftrax Assisted: 3
Made For TV: 10