Favorite characters

Omega Supreme

The problem with questions like this is that they can be so broad for me to give an answer. How does one compare Norma Desmond to Dinobot? Can Tali'zorah stand on the same pedestal as Laura Roslin? How does one begin to compare Lucille Bluth to Max Blum, Rose Nylund, Dorothy Zbornak, Midnighter, Mr. Freeze, Ron Swanson, Andy Dwyer, or Veronica Mars? Does one take time to remember a Maleficent when you have a Margo Channing? Can a character so new as Vriska compete for precious memory space against a classic character like Dick Grayson that has had years to generate? What version of Daffy Duck should you consider or could you choose them all? Should I consider a mute protagonist like Chrono who is essentially a stand-in for the audience over someone like Terra, Cecil, or Celes who I have walked every moment of their journey by their side? Is a character who is always the butt of the joke like Milhouse or Butters capable of standing with a shining beacon of hope like Superman or Kyle Rayner? Then there are characters like Deathstroke, Deadpool, Harley Quinn, Black Adam, or Iceman who are written so radically different depending on the writer that you might like them one week and the next, nope.

What I'm saying is that I like a ton of characters across a multitude of Media that it's hard to quantify them.

The problem with questions like this is that they can be so broad for me to give an answer. How does one compare Norma Desmond to Dinobot? Can Tali'zorah stand on the same pedestal as Laura Roslin? How does one begin to compare Lucille Bluth to Max Blum, Rose Nylund, Dorothy Zbornak, Midnighter, Mr. Freeze, Ron Swanson, Andy Dwyer, or Veronica Mars? Does one take time to remember a Maleficent when you have a Margo Channing? Can a character so new as Vriska compete for precious memory space against a classic character like Dick Grayson that has had years to generate? What version of Daffy Duck should you consider or could you choose them all? Should I consider a mute protagonist like Chrono who is essentially a stand-in for the audience over someone like Terra, Cecil, or Celes who I have walked every moment of their journey by their side? Is a character who is always the butt of the joke like Milhouse or Butters capable of standing with a shining beacon of hope like Superman or Kyle Rayner? Then there are characters like Deathstroke, Deadpool, Harley Quinn, Black Adam, or Iceman who are written so radically different depending on the writer that you might like them one week and the next, nope.

What I'm saying is that I like a ton of characters across a multitude of Media that it's hard to quantify them.

I say 'Yes' to all of the questions contained above.

Top 5 favorites are Spider-Man, the Joker, Luke Skywalker, the Doctor(all of them, but 11 to be specific) and Sandman's Death. The rest don't really have a solid place quite yet, but they're Daredevil, Batman, Harley Quinn, MJ Watson and Godzilla. Ellen Ripley's definitely up there, so are Troy and Abed. I grew up with Harry Potter.  Helena from Orphan Black always has my attention. 

Not necessarily the most diverse list, but these are the ones I came up with off the top of my head.

Spider-man is people's favorite superhero world-wide.

Why do you think that is?

I love Spider-man, the original Steve Ditko version, but his villains are just eh to me.  They're too unrealistic and cartoony.

Why do a lot fans like the Mcfarlene Spider-man as their favorite version of Spider-man.  To me his eyes are way too big.

What puts Spider-man over Batman as the world's favorite superhero?

Spider-man is people's favorite superhero world-wide.

Why do you think that is?

I love Spider-man, the original Steve Ditko version, but his villains are just eh to me.  They're too unrealistic and cartoony.

Why do a lot fans like the Mcfarlene Spider-man as their favorite version of Spider-man.  To me his eyes are way too big.

What puts Spider-man over Batman as the world's favorite superhero?

I think Spider-Man's the easiest comic character to like. He's just enough of everything. He can be funny but also provide a lot of pathos. He can be edgy and tormented, but he really does try to be a good person. His stories can have great action, but then turn around and just be down to earth stories with the supporting cast. 

I don't think people here will know about Transformers, but I thought Megatron was the lifeblood of the G1 Transformers cartoon.  When he got turned into Galvatron, the show started to die.  Galvatron was too maniacal.  Megatron was a better leader; he was coherent, authoritative, and scary.  He was the perfect foil for Optimus Prime, cruel, unrelenting, uncompromising evil.  Megatron would not shake Prime's hand as Galvatron did at the end of "The Return of Optimus Prime."

Characters that I light up with joy when I read: The Question, The Thing, Batman, Deadpool, Jesse Custer, Hercules/Amadeus Cho, Frankenstien. 

Characters I've Just Glommed onto for whatever reason: Hawkeye, Iron Fist, Hellboy, Damian Wayne, Machine Man, Jimmy Olsen, Kyle Rayner, Barbra Gordon, Big Barda. 

Oh man, I forgot about Harry Dresden.

I've also realized that I've rarely ran into a depiction of Death where it's not a favorite. Hell, the Gaiman depiction of Death is my goto for D&D campaigns. For that matter, Death in Discworld and Death in Supernatural are long favorites.

The Devil is also a funny one for me. A good use of Lucifer is always interesting. Lucifer on Supernatural is definitely a favorite but that might just be my love of Mark Pellegrino. The depiction of Lucifer that Gaiman and later Mike Carey did for Vertigo is great and the tv series loosely based on them has grown on me. Honestly, you build me a Devil who plays as more than a cackling villain in a rapture movie and I'll be happy.

I was wondering why He-man and She-ra are not more popular.  They were huge in the 80's.

Not everyone here is a child of the 80's. I'd never even heard of He-Man until seeing the Nostalgic Critic episode on the Christmas special. I had a toy tiger that was green with yellow stripes as a kid, but didn't know it was Battle Cat until I was in my 20s.