The last *good* villain adaptation?

slothian

To paraphrase Jane Austen, it is a truth universally acknowledged that the Marvel Studios have a problem with effective screen villains who aren't Tom Hiddlestone. Add to that the unique new takes on The Joker and Lex Luthor, and it got me wondering what was the last movie that had a villain where you could say "yes, he/she was an excellent choice in that villainous role and they did well to adapt said villain to the screen".

So what was the last movie to have a good villain portrayal? Doesn't have to be THE DEFINITIVE interpretation of the character, but someone who gave a good account of themselves and won't just be remembered as the token bad guy for the titular character to overcome.

I'll agree with Zod and Red Skull, and whilst I liked Zemo, he didn't do all that much. Still, I guess there's time yet.

Ultron was all over the place, despite James Spader's excellent voice work.

As for The Winter Soldier, I see him as a tweener (wrestling parlance: a guy who's neither a good guy or a bad guy). Therefore, Bucky is Roman Reigns

Daniel Bruhl was great for what we saw of Zemo. I think Winter Soldier has been a minor player in his own movie and a plot device in the follow-up, so I can't co-sign him. Ultron: the last thing the Marvel movies need is more jokes. Red Skull was rote and a wasted opportunity. 

I agree that Zod is the best in recent years. I love how Michael Shannon differentiated between pre and post Phantom Zone, and his being genetically programmed to ensure Krypton's survival gave another layer to both the character and the greater mythology. 

First off, assuming we're talking strictly comic book movie adaptations here. I was immediately going to answer Heath Ledger's Joker (which was 8 years ago, Jesus Christ) but then I looked at previous villains. In hindsight, Ajax in Deadpool worked as an excellent foil. Other than that, I'll cosign Zod.

Thinking on it, it woukd be cool to do a Comic Book Movie Villain Tourney sometime.

If I could divorce myself of the image of Terence Stamp, I might say MOS' Zod too. I dunno if I care much for Shannon as an actor to begin with though.

Watching the Ultimate Edition, I really liked Eisenberg's Luthor. His manic nature probably made him seem more of the Joker in the form of Lex like one of those Elseworlds mashups, but his actions were appropriately Luthor.

I think she's an original character so it's not really an adaptation but Lena Headey's Ma-Ma was great.

I'm probably biased but I'll mention TASM's Lizard. I thought Ifans did a good job with the sympathetic side of Connors' character. Maybe something was lost in Billy and Martha's absence, but it wasn't glaring in the film. (Though come to think of it, Billy would've worked with the "absent fathers" theme of the movie. Hmm.)

I liked Bruhl's Zemo a lot, but I wish he made more of a series impression. Like, I wish they gave more of a hint that he could be back to really fuck shit up again.

In terms of CBMs overall, I'm thinking the Shredder from the 1990 Turtles movie, Jack Nicolson's Joker, Heath Ledger's Joker, Liam Neeson's Ra's Al Ghul, Willem DaFoe's Norman Osborn/Green Goblin and Cillian Murphy's Scarecrow. What you see of these guys is exactly what you get in the comics, full stop.

I'm probably biased but I'll mention TASM's Lizard. I thought Ifans did a good job with the sympathetic side of Connors' character. Maybe something was lost in Billy and Martha's absence, but it wasn't glaring in the film. (Though come to think of it, Billy would've worked with the "absent fathers" theme of the movie. Hmm.)

Dude....seriously? I mean, I like aspects of Ifans' portrayal, but the villainous scheme......the villainous scheme......

Dude....seriously? I mean, I like aspects of Ifans' portrayal, but the villainous scheme......the villainous scheme......

I think Connors' character was muddled, but the fight at the school is one of the best fights in a superhero movie. 

I think Connors' character was muddled, but the fight at the school is one of the best fights in a superhero movie. 

Curt Connors is traditionally a very sympathetic character who's physical redemption is the end goal in most stories. I thought Rhys Ifans' protrayal made him seem a bit sinister, and a touch darker. He kind of came around at the end, but it wasn't the best version of the Lizard IMO.