Every comic you've read in 2017

Missy

Trinity #8: A Superman Reborn followup, in which Superman tells Wonder Woman and Batman about the recent history-reshaping events. As a standalone issue it won't work for most people, but as a followup to one story and a laying-the-groundwork issue for a forthcoming story it works well.

Trinity #9: The trio find themselves transported to The Watchtower, where an alien presence has begun a hostile takeover. While it is a generic sci-fi plot, Francis Manapul manages to get in some characterization for Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman.

Comics: 364

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wolveirne: Snikt #1-5: Wolverine is pulled to 2058 to fight an adamantium-encased living virus that has killed untold millions, if not billions. It's Days of Future Past as seen through a manga filter, and I liked it. If you're into manga styles and sensibilities, you'll enjoy this. If not, quite the opposite. As much as I enjoyed it, though, it took no more than 20 minutes to read all five issues, thanks to limited dialogue. And it only took that long because the third issue slowed down to give the backstory. This is a quick, mindless read, and though it shows Wolverine as a Manga-ish character, he's still the best there is at what he does.

Comics: 369

The Visitor-How and Why he stayed #1: of all the unplumbed depths of the Helllboy universe, this one seems odd to highlight, but this was really good.

The Wild Storm #1: I fucking loved this. I'm in. I may quit after another issue to go in on the trades.

The X-Files Deviations: You'd have to be a shitty writer to come up with this story. Fox Mulder was the one who was abducted by aliens instead of his sister so she became the wingnut conspiracy X-File FBI guy instead? Come the fuck on.

The X-Files #11: I liked this. Mulder's dad was into some shit.

US Avengers #3: after reading the New Mutants epic collection I was reminded how much I like Roberto Dacosta. Yes, he's the son of an evil genius, insanely rich Hellfire Club member. But instead of being what you'd actually expect him to be, he just turns out to be a meathead, girl-chasing decent person. Well, I guess this series is exploring what a lesser writer would have done sometime over the past 3+ decades and make him into a sort of evil super-genius. I don't get it. I like this series though. It's sort of fun.

Uber Invasion #3: greatness.

Uncanny X-Men #18: this felt like a fill-in issue after I missed a couple issues. So weird.

Unfollow #16: fucking great.

Valiant High #1: I don't think this is very good.

Action Comics #975, 976 and Superman #19: the rest of the Superman Reborn storyline. Fuck, I won't spoil it, but that's the ONLY Superman rogue that I actively loathe.

Agents of PACT #1: Captain Canuck extended universe stuff. Not good.

All-Time Comics Crime Destroyer #1: holy fuck. This was bonkers. I can't believe it was being played straight. Herb Trimpe's probably last work. I liked it. It would make a decent companion-piece to Black Hammer.

All-New Wolverine #18: I can't believe this is still this good.

Allies #1: this is a Russian comic translated to English, but I don't think I get it.

American Gods #1: what a waste of an opportunity to explore the AG world. Why the fuck would you have this talent adapt the novel when it's currently being adapted on TV? There are far better examples of working with existing literature in comics. Like...

Anno Dracula #1: This was great. a sequel to the original novel and a prequel to everything else. I'm looking forward to more.

Archie #18: this was sort of snooze-worthy. Good for Dilton to pull Betty. I hope he taps that.

Batman #19: this was TERRIBLE. just Bane punching a bunch of Bat-villains. 

Batwoman #1: I liked this enough.

Black Hammer #7: this was ok. Interesting mix of stealing Kirby's Fourth World and Norse pantheon and combining them.

Comics: 545
Trades: 25

Graphic Novels: 11

Omnibuses: 9

X-Men: BLUE #4: Good issue. This series is a solid follow up to All New, All Different X-Men. I don't like how kiddie Jean is drawn though.

Totally Awesome Hulk #19: Good stuff. Like the new artist.

Detective Comics #957: Solid man.

Batman Beyond #8 (2016): Woah!

Batgirl #11 (2016): Okay mostly, with a weird ending.

Action Comics #980: Very fun comic book issue. Right under Detective for me.

Opus: Satoshi Kim's last, unfinished work. Meta ass story about a manga creator who ends up fighting his characters when they don't want to go with the ending he wants, essentially. Gorgeous pages, a really well thought out story, and even though it leaves off in a weird place (the magazine it ran in was cancelled and the last chapter is only roughs), it's weirdly fitting in the context of the story. Would highly recommend.

A Long Walk To Valhalla: A story about two brothers (one who's mentally challenged), the event that changed their relationship, and a small girl who claims to be a Valkyrie who helps them process all that happened. In the same kind of vein as I Kill Giants, and just as wonderful. 

4 Kids Walk Into a Bank 4: We get this kid trying desperately to help her dad and the full shape of the caper finally unfolding. Looking forward to seeing how this wraps (next issue is the last I think? Not sure).

Single Issues: 164
Trades/Graphic Novels/Anthologies: 54
Omnibuses: 1

InSEXts #1-#7: I thought this was alright. A beguiling premise with enough intensity that kept me reading after finishing every issue. I wished the pencils were better, though. Characters often weren't very expressive, to the point that it hampered major scenes of shock and violence. And IMO, for a book that keeps a quota of about one sex scene per issue, I thought that some of them were basically splash pages more'n actual scenes. Less may be more, but after a while it felt obligatory and less impactful to me.

The Flash + Nightwing: By Mark Waid and Eduardo Barretto. A One-Shot during DC's Plus month (There was Batman + Arsenal, Wonder + Jesse Quick, etc). Wally and Dick apparently try to go on road trips every year, and this one leads them to a spooky mystery! Kind of throwaway. It's pretty similar to the recent issue of Nightwing that came out last week, with Dick and Wally being pals. Their friendship and dynamic is the reason to read this, although it's got solid Barretto artwork. Colors are kind of drab though. 

Clara...After Dark 10: almost to the end and these are just as good as the others. Well, the same, but funny and sexy and weird.

Little Ego: another selection of erotic 2 pages comic stories. Fun in a lot of aspects, but the last panel of every story is LITERALLY the same. Very little variation. Weird.

Bloodshot Reborn #0: solid.

Brutal Nature: Concrete Fury #1: I remember virtually nothing, so I'll be skipping out.

Cadmus: is this a oneshot or a GN? Don't know. Not thinking too hard on it as it was booooooring

Captain America Sam Wilson #20: This takes a far more balanced and sober approach to SJW comics and I appreciate it.

Captain America Steve Rogers #13, 14: These were good. I like this. It's growing on me. Haven't checked out Secret Empire yet, but I'm interested. The people complaining about this have literally no awareness that the EXACT OPPOSITE thing is happening in the Sam Wilson book? It's obvious there's a thing that Spencer is doing.

Coady and the Creepies #1: nope. Lame. 

Curse Words #3: ok.

Darkness Visible #2: still good. moving at a decent pace.

Dead Inside #4: so good.

Deathstroke #14, 15: I'm liking this now.

Detective Comics #952, 953: really good.

Divinity III Escape from Gulag 396: a very different Archer and Armstrong tale. Solid.

Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme #6: this was garbage. I'm out.

Comics: 561

Graphic Novels: 13

The Egyptian Princesses: Baranko's latest, and man is this an alternate history ass headtrip. We run into Hercules and Moses and Akenhaten (which was already a weird ass period of time in Egypt's history), and two princesses that get caught up in what can generously be described as some weird ass shit. Baranko's grotesque is immensely suited to this story, and his black and white work in this is wonderful (especially in the use of the water, damn). If you're looking for sense in this, why the hell are you reading Baranko?  Just sit back and let it happen.

Single Issues: 164
Trades/Graphic Novels/Anthologies: 55

Edited by Venneh

Snotgirl v1: Has a few of the Scott Pilgrim quirks amended for the modern day (instagram comments/likes! Texts), but this is mostly a major departure. Interested to see how this turns out (though as I understand this is on hiatus currently?). Would be interested in more.

The Fish Wife: Melanie Gillian's completed comic from 24 hour comics. Gorgeous and quick. 

Toil and Trouble 1: Something about the three witches from Macbeth. Ehhhhhh.

Eternal Empire 1: Evil empire conquering the world, white haired girl escapes work camps to help somehow. Not that intrigued from this first issue.

Deadly Class 28: Man that is some hand wavy ass bullshit. The narrative feels like it's fracturing in a bad way, and it's pretty disappointing.

Single Issues: 168
Trades/Graphic Novels/Anthologies: 56

Edited by Venneh

Bitch Planet v2: Again, understand why this took forever and a day (they went out of their way to make sure they did not fuck up the trans representation), but man it is finally good to have this, especially in light of the fucking election. There's some neat process stuff that I love that I got to talk with Kelly Sue about this weekend (look at the power diagonals and who all you see more of on the first pages of these issues is all I'll say). We'll probably see v3 of this in 2018, but I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

A Bride's Story v8: Kaoru Mori is unfairly good at her artwork, even just in minor panels, news at 11. I really love how the focus of this series has moved off of our hook characters and into the community as well. 

Single Issues: 168
Trades/Graphic Novels/Anthologies: 58

Edited by Venneh

Teen Titans Special #1 (2017): Pretty solid read with solid art. This has a real Wolfman and Perez feel to it that I adore, probably as it involves the Wilson family.

Captain America: Sam Wilson #22: I have a hard time jumping on the Nick Spencer hate since he's been so consistent in writing this solid series.

Hulk #6 (2017): Finally! Kinda wish the art was better for the fight scenes though.

Evil Heroes #6: decent ending. 

Eclipse #5: I wanted something more with volume 2. Not an "oh no, the same shit as the first volume" kind of beginning. I'm out.

Elektra #2: Kind of boring. I'm done here.

Ether #5: this was bonkers.

Foolkiller #5: fun and weird.

Freelance #1: literally Challengers of the Unknown with the B-characters of the Chapterhouse universe. Fun.

Ghostbusters 101 #1: ugh. no thanks.

God Country #3: this is fucking great.

Grass Kings #1: right up my alley, but it didn't grab me. Oh well.

Great Lakes Avengers #6: this was alright, but I'm looking for more next issue.

Green Valley #6: this is just so fucking bonkers that it works. I love the idea of explaining a time machine to an intelligent guy from the 15th century.

Heathen #2: still great.

Helena Crash #1: can't get past the art. It's terrible.

Hellboy and the BPRD 1954 Ghost Moon #1: fun. 

Hero Killer #3: good. 

Highlander #2: this was good. I'll stick around for one more.

Hulk #4 might be the best book Marvel publishes. Just great character drama.Next issue looks to have the first real appearance of She-Hulk.

Inhumans vs. X-Men #6: this ended well. I was impressed.

Invincible Iron Man #5: I liked this a lot.

Josie and the Pussycats #5: we're done here.

Justice League of America #2: this is really fucking good.

Comics: 582

Doctor Who: Free Comic Book Day 2017: Decent story with a political statement at the end.

Secret Empire: Uprising: Under The Black Widow's orders, The Wasp (Nadia) and Hulk (Amadeus) infiltrate the Hydra Youth Choir. Very solid book, and I'm interested to see where these events lead the characters -- especially Amadeus.

Trinity Annual #1: Loved it and I can't wait to see where this all goes.

Comics: 374

Titans #11, Teen Titans #8, Deathstroke #19, and Teen Titans Annual #1: All four books comprise The Lazarus Contract storyline, in which Deathstroke steals Kid Flash's speed so he can go back in time to save his son: Ravager.

This is rubbish. It's filled to the brim with painful, stupid exposition. Slade's relationship with his sons is the worst kind of clichéd abusive father / angry son bullshit. Robin is an insufferable piece of shit, to the point that his actions while time-traveling majorly fucks up another character's timeline and health. Deathstroke instantly knows how to use the Speed Force, Kid Flash is a gullible dolt, Nightwing is so damn weak, Aqualad is a joke, and all of the other characters are background noise. The only good portrayal is Beast Boy who keeps insisting they call the Justice League, because the Titans and Teen Titans are in way over their collective heads.

Comics: 378

I am finding the shtick with Damian bossing the Teen Titans around to be insufferable. It's one thing if he's barking orders at Beast Boy or Kid Flash, but Kori should not be putting up with this. It's an element the series doesn't require, and it's not fun to read.

Exactly. When he's bouncing off of Nightwing or Superboy, the writers can keep him in-check by having the more balanced characters take little, loving jabs back at him. The double act works because the characters (and writers) know he's rather insecure about his place in the world, being Robin, and with his lineage. When he leads a team, though, he's Shouty McFuckwit and no one properly calls him on it.

Cable #1 (2017): Way too quick of a read, but I enjoyed it.

Comics: 379

Josie and the Pussycats 7: This is starting to grate on me a bit with the formula, but I can still get several laughs out of an issue, so I'm cool with it. Plus the alt cover lineup is pretty great. 

Insexts 11: I really hope Kristantina gets more time with the covers, they're starting to come off pretty slapdash. Another rip roaring colonialist/feminist revenge spree issue. Probably gonna need to read this again to parse a few things, but still a good time. 

Wonder Woman Annual: Got it because of the Rucka/Scott story about the Trinity meeting for the first time (A+, fun and funny, would read more), stayed for LaFuente, Ayala, and Hans. 

Single Issues: 171
Trades/Graphic Novels/Anthologies: 58

Mike's right in that he needs Dick or Jon to remind the reader that he's still very much a 13 year old boy who really doesn't know any better. It's what the Teen Titans vs. Justice League move did so well in having him bounce off of the Titans. In that and the Judas Contract, Starfire and Raven just roll their eyes and carry on.

Justice League/Power Rangers #3: this is really fucking fun. On every plane.

KISS #6: decent. Where is this going though?

Kingpin #2: kinda liking this.

Man-Thing #1: I think I need to record a Dread media about this.

Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys The Big Lie #1: this is kind of like Riverdale. I'm interested to see where this goes.

Nightwing #17: crazy weird.

Nova #4: fuck, this book is so damned good.

Comics: 589