Every Film You've Watched in 2017

teenalphabro

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: there's an amazing movie in this somewhere. As it stands, it was really fun and I'd rather see shit like this coming out in theatres than more fucking Fast and Furious movies or Transformers or Marvel dumb shit. This dumb shit was fun.

Features: 84

Shorts: 29

Documentaries: 8

Rewatches: 1

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Donomark said:

Hot Fuzz: A lot of fun. I had no idea Olivia Coleman was in this, or that she did comedy. I'm really interested in seeing more of her now.

Olivia Colman was largely known as a comedic actress (including a lot of sketch work) in the UK for YEARS. She's done a ton of comedy-orientated radio series and has been working with Mitchell and Webb (That Mitchell & Webb Look, Peep Show) since they were all at university together. I mean, she's now known as a fantastic serious actress and has all the recognition of that status but comedy was her bread and butter for years. 

1 minute ago, slothian said:

Yes yes yes, but more importantly, who got the dog?

I think we've all seen enough shitty family friendly pablum movies to know that they both got the dog in the end, because they found themselves and realized they truly loved each other.

Just now, Dread said:

I think we've all seen enough shitty family friendly pablum movies to know that they both got the dog in the end, because they found themselves and realized they truly loved each other.

Speak for yourself - to the best of my knowledge I have sired no offspring, and I only watched 8 films as a child, none of which fit that description.

On topic: by the time we start recording this month's HAA, I will have seen 4 Burt Reynolds movies for the first time - 2 for the podcast, and then both Cannonball Run (theatrical) movies. That Dom Deluise was a delightful film presence!

1 minute ago, slothian said:

Speak for yourself - to the best of my knowledge I have sired no offspring, and I only watched 8 films as a child, none of which fit that description.

On topic: by the time we start recording this month's HAA, I will have seen 4 Burt Reynolds movies for the first time - 2 for the podcast, and then both Cannonball Run (theatrical) movies. That Dom Deluise was a delightful film presence!

Delivrance and Smokey and the Bandit are the others?

1 minute ago, Dread said:

Delivrance and Smokey and the Bandit are the others?

They're 2 of the films being covered, but I have seen Deliverance before. Rounding out the Triforce of Reynolds is The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

Wow, I have been slacking.

Spider-man Homecoming: I had reservations about this movie. Having seen it now, it was fun. I still think the second of the Tobey Maguire films was the best Spider-Man movie but still, this one was very good and definitely the best villain of any of the films.

The Chipmunk Adventure: Because Nostalgia? Also, The Chippettes singing a song about fucking to a bunch of snakes.

Films: 94
Made-For-TV Movie:3
MST3K/Rifftrax: 16
Repeats: 4
Best Film So Far: All About Eve
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: Duck Soup
Worst Film So Far That Isn't Showgirls: Pocket Ninjas

Rogue One: the best Star Wars movie. Easily. It's one and done. It's entrenched in the mythos, but it's standalone enough to matter. Donnie Yen is fucking incredible. Pre-redemptive Vader is fucking amazing and Star Wars has never had good space battles. This does. This is a darn good movie, and it's the best in the SW franchise by a wide margin.

Circus Kane: review forthcoming

Features: 91

Shorts: 34

Documentaries: 8

Rewatches: 1

Frost/Nixon: Very enjoyable film. I went in hoping for more of an overarching sparring match, and it essentially comes down to the final act to really get there. Much of it was somewhat more conventional than I expected, but Sheen and Langella's performances were worth the price of admission. 

I've been on a bit of an animation kick lately.

Daffy Duck's Quackbusters: Warners in the late 70s and 80s would put out compilation films consisting of some of their classic cartoons with bridging elements. I saw this one all the time when I was a kid. It's okay though the bridging elements are very obvious.

Recess: School's Out: It's basically a longer episode of the Animated Series. It works for what it is though there are moments where the animation is something out of a 90s PC game. Still, it does a good job at paying off jokes. Chekov's Corn Chowder anyone?

The Phantom Tollbooth: Chuck Jones put this out for MGM back in the 70s. It has moments of being very trippy and it looks like Jones's later work at MGM. The voice acting certainly sounds like it. I'm trying to think if I would recommend it. I think so.

Charlotte's Web: Shut up! You're crying!

Films: 98
Made-For-TV Movie: 2
MST3K/Rifftrax: 16
Repeats: 4

Best Film So Far: All About Eve
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: Duck Soup

Worst Film So Far That Isn't Showgirls: Cruel Intentions 2