Every Film You've Watched in 2017

teenalphabro

Hotel Transylvania 2: Nearly the entire first half hour is set-up. In most sequels, you don't need that. This is most sequels. It really felt more like padding than anything else. It doesn't help that once the padding is over, the story takes it's time doing anything. There are still some fun moments to it so it's not terrible.

The Incredibles: I'm going to be honest: I can be wrong. I know, it's a surprise to me also.  For years. I said that this was Pixar's over-rated film, all based off a viewing at age 19 in an uncomfortable shirt in a noisy theater with annoying children. The entire experience was barely tolerable. At 31, viewing it on my mostly comfortable shirt on a nice couch with no children nearby, I'll reverse my thought. It's a wonderful film that works on multiple levels and, quite frankly, is just plain fun. Still not the best Pixar film but still more than tolerable.

All About Eve: All About Eve is one of my five favorite films of all time and probably actually one of the best of all time. Bette Davisturns in the best performance of her career. For that matter, all the actors just do some wonderful work. Add in a witty script, some good use of light and subtext, I could watch it a hundred times and keep on loving it some more.

The Book of Life: I've had my problems with CG animation but I've come to terms that, outside of Japan, it's the default from here on out. That said, I enjoy anytime the form us used creatively. While this story could very easily have been told with just everyone looking very human, they instead did something very interesting by making everyone look like a puppet and it works, especially with a very inventive story.

Films: 11
Best Film So Far: All About Eve
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: The Incredibles

Worst Film So Far: Ocean's 12 (but just barely)

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Six-String Samurai: Now THAT is a fuckin MOVIE!

Films Watched: 7

Are you 18 or thereabouts by any chance?

It appeals to my inner teenager. Trust me, I know exactly what this movie is, but also: Buddy Holly and Slash dueling with guitar solos in blasted-out Nevada wasteland. How was I not gonna like this thing?

Toys- The perfect Toyman film, save that Superman, Lois Lane, Perry White, and Jimmy Olsen are nowhere to be seen. That said, part of the finale is straight up (bad) Classic Doctor Who, with the protagonists' running up and down the same corridors while being chased by cute robots.

Six-String Samurai: Now THAT is a fuckin MOVIE!

Films Watched: 7

Are you 18 or thereabouts by any chance?

It appeals to my inner teenager. Trust me, I know exactly what this movie is, but also: Buddy Holly and Slash dueling with guitar solos in blasted-out Nevada wasteland. How was I not gonna like this thing?

I wasn't trying to be insulting. I just have a theory about this movie. I love the soundtrack.

Big Trouble in Little China: Just a delightful film, great action combined with genuinely funny scenes.

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy: Here's the thing: I wanted to like this film, I really did but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I just can't be bothered with Will Farrel anymore?

Anastasia: I feel a little bad for Don Bluth. He didn't want to do this movie but after all the ones he wanted to do failed, he did this. It's a movie that can barely be bothered with historical accuracy (but Disney did Pocahontas a few years earlier so nothing new there) and something so far out of the realm of what he normally did. It was successful so good on him there at least.

Films: 14
Best Film So Far: All About Eve
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: The Incredibles

Worst Film So Far: Ocean's 12 (but just barely)

The Dark Hunger: short for the festival

Poltergeist Encounters/You're Fuck'N Dead: features for the festival

The Naughty list: a short film based on Brian Keene's Siqqusim Who Stole Christmas that I helped Kickstart. Fun. Paul Campion's great and I hope he gets to make Keene's Dark Hollow as he is a pretty solid talent.

Features: 14

Shorts: 6

Documentaries: 1

Rewatches: 0

Edited by Dread

Since all the Christopher Reeve Superman films were released on Netflix, I figured I'd give I and II a rewatch and see III and IV for the first time. Like the Burton-Schumacher films, I decided to see them in reverse chronological order, so that things would mostly get better. Unfortunately, I'm currently burnt out by these films and as of writing, I'm afraid Superman I won't hold up on a rewatch. Just some random observations:

Superman II (The Richard Lester version)

-I had forgotten that half of the opening credits was a clip show of the first film. I could forgive it if they kept the John Williams music.

-Perry White has a Bill Cosby photo in his office?

-Oooooooooooo J. Dubya Peppeh!

-I'm sorry, but the subplot with Superman giving up his powers for Lois is totally stupid, not least because of the roofie kiss that ties it up.

-Ha. "A crude noisemaker." I need to use that somewhere.

-What's a British kid doing in rural Idaho?

-"They destroyed Lincoln! NOBODY messes with Lincoln!!!"

-For all the problems I have with this film, the moment where Superman crushes Zod's fingers while kneeling is absolute priceless. It's as awesome as the first film's climax was stupid.

Superman III

-Less than 10 minutes in and already I want to quit.

-Did Ricky's dog speak? It sounds like he squeals "Help me!"

-Or, conversely, does Superman understand animal speech?

-Lana :wub:

-This is the first thing I've ever seen Richard Pryor in and I'm not impressed. I heard somewhere that he was a much more lively comedian before this and was coked up to the eyeballs then, but was in withdrawal when this film was being made, which totally makes sense.

-Why is kryptonite public knowledge? Superman may be honest to his bones, but even he would lie about what it was and what it could do.

-Reeve's performance as Superman is still unassailable. The moment where he refuses to fly off to save the truck and chooses to stay and woo Lana (or do worse) is kinda terrifying.

-I think I know why Superman was such a douche in Superman Returns: He was wearing the same dark red cape and boots in that film as he was during the drunk sequence of this film.

-The junkyard scene's not bad, even if the resolution's nonsensical.

-HAHAHAHAHAHA The 80's Kill the Superman game!

-I feel bad saying this, since he's the only major non-white person in this film, but Richard Pryor's character should go to jail. If Otis did, so should he, smart and downtrodden though he is.

-Mostly poor. It still would have been a mess, but I can't imagine the Salkinds' original treatment original treatment featuring Brainiac, Supergirl, and Mxy being as bad as this.

Superman IV

-"Music by John Williams." Fuck no. [Goes to Wikipedia] Sure enough, it's Alexander Courage.

-What? The roofie kiss AGAIN?

-I kinda like the idea of Superman being multi-lingual -- capable of calming you down wherever you come from.

-Well, it's not as bad as Batman v. Superman. I can't decide if it's better or worse than Batman & Robin, though; this film cheap and awful with some good performances, while that film was expensive and awful and had no good performances in it at all.

Big Hero 6: Even when trying not to compare it to Zootopia or Moana, I found it pretty pedestrian. Except for Baymax. He is our Lord and Savior and died for our sins.

-For all the problems I have with this film, the moment where Superman crushes Zod's fingers while kneeling is absolute priceless.

Terrance Stamp's reaction of horrified, painful surprise is so well done.

Total Recall: My first time watching it, and I gotta say: Very well done. Arnold actually pulled off a good acting performance, too. And, in my opinion, he actually was a spy from Mars. 

Films Watched: 11

Superman IV

-Well, it's not as bad as Batman v. Superman. I can't decide if it's better or worse than Batman & Robin, though; this film cheap and awful with some good performances, while that film was expensive and awful and had no good performances in it at all.

Alright, this is getting ridiculous...Comic Reel-lief can't come back quick enough.

Although I'm crazy-busy next week.

Superman IV

Alright, this is getting ridiculous...Comic Reel-lief can't come back quick enough.

Although I'm crazy-busy next week.

I am dead serious. This was made by people who liked Superman, unlike that thing.