Every Film You've Watched in 2017

teenalphabro

Attack of the Cyber Octopuses/Mr. Moden/What's That In the Ground?/Third Wheel/Soon Enough/The Goatman of Kananaskis/The Night They hit Back/Latched/The Jerry Show/B is for Backne:shorts for the festival

The Velocipastor/Ruin Me: features for the festival

Features: 178

Shorts: 255

Documentaries: 12

Rewatches: 1

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Last Dragon - Been sitting on my coffee table since I saw Taimak on UpUpDownDown.  Fun.  Just fun.

Cry-Baby - Soundtrack came up on random on my drive home, so why not?  "Electricity killed my parents!" may be my favorite movie line and I don't really know why it makes me laugh so hard.  But it does.  Every time.

Thor: Ragnarok: in a nice little surprise, we happened to drive by the theatre on the way to take my youngest to guitar and then go looking at Christmas lights afterwards that we noticed that this movie was playing there this week. Went under my radar, for sure. We went after Christmas lights. Really fucking fun. Not super-impressed with the action as it seemed to cut away every time it got interesting murdering the momentum. The character work was great. Loved Valkyrie and Korg. Hulk was great, and then Banner was great. I actually didn't hate Loki. Cate Blanchett is worship-worthy. Good stuff. Finally, an era of interesting villains in Marvel movies. Her and Ego are breaths of fresh air compared to what's come before. Best original score in a Marvel movie too. Finally something that doesn't sound like paint-by-numbers blockbuster film-scoring.

Features: 181

Shorts: 255

On 12/5/2017 at 12:41 AM, Venneh said:

The Shape of Water: Best movie of the damn year. Go watch this. 

Reveal hidden contents

Doug Jones is amazing as the fish creature. And they do the sex multiple times! (The water leaking out the bathroom is a metaphor for her cumming, you see.) Also the real villain of the piece is toxic masculinity on so many levels, which I appreciate GDT for. The romance is so tender, and the way they build up the real villain of the piece is just perfect. I needed this film right now.

Yup. What she said.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: I highly enjoyed it.

A Christmas Story Live!: I didn't go in hoping to hate this but it's.... not very good. The actresses all did a great job though so kudos to them.

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York: It's a sequel. Not the worst of the Home Alone films but it's much more of a cartoon than the original.

Films: 172
Made-For-TV Movie: 3
MST3K/Rifftrax: 22
Repeats: 8

Best Film So Far: All About Eve
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: Duck Soup

Worst Film So Far That Isn't Showgirls: Cruel Intentions 2

Mean Girls: one of the truly underrated comedies. One of this generation's best. Amanda Seyfreid should be a much bigger star. Maybe she is, but I don't watch movies where bad ABBA songs are sung even worse, so maybe she is a big star. Lizzy Caplan is great in this. Rachel McAdams and Tina Fey are great, but I think Megan and I laughed the most at Amy Poehler. Though, regarding this week, seeing a film where a teenage girl getting hit by a bus is a huge plot point is  a little surreal.

Features: 182

Shorts: 259

A Nightmare on Elm Street: One o f the cable networks was running a marathon and I figured, yeah, sure. Nancy was setting homemade traps long before Kevin McCallister made it look cool.

I'll Be Home For Christmas: Meh.

The Night Before: I was not expecting to love this as much as I did and yet, here we are. I'm going to have to watch it again next year.

It's A Wonderful Life: I won't slight for other people liking it. I hate it myself. George Bailey is a jerkass.

Films: 176

Bright: Jesus Christ! People are so fucking jaded. If this came out five years ago it might be considered one of the greatest fantasy films of all time. This was fucking great. I'm super-critical of stuff that comes out that's close to stuff I've written and this blew me away. Definitely in my Top Ten of the year.

Features: 183

Shorts: 259

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: I came home from work and watched this again with my dad, and we were both of the mindset of "Yeah, this movie's crap. Let's have a laugh." But we just couldn't help getting sucked into it. I took my time in getting to this post. I read the first volume of Moore and O'Neil's comic and even re-listened to Ian, Dave and Moon's episode from a few months back. Overall, this is a decently enjoyable film. The worst parts are that it ends up too conventional to really commit to any shocks or surprises. It's not as period-cool as it could've been or thought it was, and some of the lines are groaners. I didn't really enjoy Stuart Townsend's Dorian Gray, he was such a smug SOB and obviously a bad guy that he grated whenever on screen. But the actors are generally all in, and the events that take place in the first 2/3rds of the film are fun. I'm with Ian, I thought Jason Flemyng's Jekyll was one of the best actors in the film. The Hyde effects (Hyde himself, not the whatever-the-fuck at the end) held up surprisingly well. If the movie took itself slightly more seriously, it would've had more staying power. As it is, it's a laundry day time waster for kids, but it's definitely not a bad viewing experience. It's nothing like the comic book as we all know, but on its own it's absolutely fine.

A Christmas Story: I think I enjoyed this movie after watching the remake.

Christmas Vacation: Still my favorite Christmas movie of all time.

The Disaster Artist: I highly enjoyed it. Someone who has not seen the movie may not see the appeal but damn if James Franco isn't an awesome Tommy Wiseau.

Films: 179

The Room: I felt like a rewatch was due after seeing The Disaster Artist. Amazing for all the wrong reasons but still amazing.

Films: 180

2017 was a trip. I wanted to hit 200 movies and I did that plus some. I hit it sometime in December and I figured, hey, let's keep going. I'm not going to try for 250 or anything next year because I want some free time. I just kind of want to do the 200 again and anymore is a happy accident.

Final Total: 213
Films: 180

Best Film So Far: All About Eve (Viewed in January)
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: Duck Soup (Viewed in February)

Worst Film So Far That Isn't Showgirls: Cruel Intentions 2 (Viewed in April)

• Missy locked this topic