Every Film You've Watched in 2017

teenalphabro

10 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

Black Swan: Still not sure if I count this as horror but it's still well acted by Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis. Seriously, I never would have put money on Jackie being the most prolific actor out of That 70s Show!

Films: 115
Made-For-TV Movie: 2
MST3K/Rifftrax: 16
Repeats: 5

Best Film So Far: All About Eve
Best Film So Far that isn't one of Will's five favorite of all time: Duck Soup

Worst Film So Far That Isn't Showgirls: Cruel Intentions 2

It's definitely a toss-up between her and Ashton Kutcher

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hocus Pocus: I figured, hey, why don't I get in a viewing this season? It's fun, campy as all hell. Bette Midler is the main reason to watch. Everyone else is okay.

Boys in the Trees: The description on Netflix made it look like horror. It was grouped with horror. It takes place at Halloween in Austalia which is interesting. It's barely horror though really. More just a nice story about reconnecting with a friend. There's something else but I really don't want to say anything.

The Girl With All the Gifts: Holy fuckballs, this was good! Elements reminded me heavily of The Last of Us but that's about where the comparisons end. It's mostly just a real interesting take on zombies which, hey, if someone can make zombies interesting, more power to them.

Prom Night: Maybe I'm spoiled by the slashers of the 80s and later but it takes so long to get to anything interesting and the time leading up to it is either filled with false leads and character development that goes nowhere. Still, Jamie Lee Curtis is interesting enough in it.

Films: 119

Colossal: It's a movie about a Kaiju attacking Seoul but it's also about Anne Hathaway as a woman trying to figure out her life in the Midwest... who might be controlling the Kaiju without realizing it. This is so good and there's a twist about halfway through the movie that is so awesome. It's also a good commentary on toxic masculinity so there's that also. I cheered at the ending.

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2: an in-name only sequel. I... kind of liked it. It's not a great movie but it is fucking campy as all fuck and I loved that.

Scream: Scream is why I love Horror Movies. It will always have a warm spot in my heart. I can quote the entire movie. It's that film that I will irrationally love until the end of my days.

Films: 122

Nightmare on Elm Street: Cool movie. Not once was I scared, but that's completely due to the pop culture osmosis of Freddie Kruger, although the bit with the tongue in the phone was cool. I really enjoyed Nancy and was rooting for her all the way.

Pumpkinhead: This is about as rote and typical a horror film as I figure it gets. None of the characters were engaging or interesting, but unlike Evil Dead this film didn't really have the gore to back it up. 

Friday the 13th: It's a classic of the slasher genre. Is it good? Mostly. I mean, there is the problem of almost all of the cast consisting of interchangable young actors who exist solely to get killed but some of the kills are inventive enough.

Friday the 13th Part II: This is where Jason comes in. While I didn't mind the ever just off-screen killer of the first, having a presence to out murder machine helped.

My Little Pony: The Movie (2017): As a fan of the series, it was okay. The voice acting they got was terrific. Too bad the animation took a little getting used to.

Friday the 13th Part III: Fun but you can definitely call how many times things were shot just for the 3D when the movie originally came out.

Friday the 13th The Final Chapter: They have a good enough way of finally letting Jason go. It obviously isn't going to happen. It was already getting tired as it was.

Films: 127

Monster House: Okay film. The 3D Animation is kind of dated. I know it's motion capture and it still looks as bad as The Polar Express. Still, it could be loads worse and parts were more than a little fun.

Films: 128

Paprika: Pure Anime bizarre goodness. As far as Satoshi Kon goes, I like Perfect Blue much better,but this was still a visually striking, creative film. Generally light hearted, there are odd moments of brutal tonal whiplash (oh hai tentacle rape!). Not sure I followed it 100%, but it was fun. 

13 hours ago, Pan-dub said:

That's a hell of a running order! 

Lots of people don't know Tommy Jarvis first appears in the My Little Pony Movie...retroactively.

4 hours ago, teenalphabro said:

Hellraiser: I've always blown hot and cold on this movie, and for this viewing, it was more cold. 

I mean, cold as in "Damn, that awesome movie was cold!"

Crispy's Curse: feature for the festival

Features: 120

Shorts: 118

Documentaries: 9

Rewatches: 1

Battle of the Sexes: This was a...good film, but was dragged down by the anything-but-subtle script. I love Emma Stone. I think she's one of the best actors in Hollywood right now and blows Jennifer Lawrence out of the water. She's excellent in this. All the of acting is solid, but she's giving an A-1 performance. But the script feels like it belongs from twenty years ago. The movie is actually more about Billie Jean King's life in 1973, and her extra-marital relationship with her female hairdresser. The lead-up to the tennis match doesn't get going until about 55% of the way in. While an LGBT drama is totally welcome, I felt this wasn't as deftly presented to justify it monopolizing most of the movie. (It also fudges with real world events in that BJK knew she was attracted to women a good five years earlier, but whatever) But there are lines that just hit you in the face, like when Margaret Court loses to Bobby Riggs and King runs off after witnessing the match. Gladys Heldman says "Fate's just called her." That sort of stuff was distracting. The movie was good overall, but I think it could've been better.