Sign in to follow this  
Venneh

What You've Read Recently

Recently, I've started reading through the Dark Tower books. Right now I'm on The Waste Lands, and I really wish people knew King more for stuff like this than his horror stuff. 

Also, I recently read one of the Miriam Black books by Chuck Wendig, Thunderbirds. Really solid work right there. 

Crash Override: How Gamergate (Nearly) Destroyed My Life, and How We Can Win The Fight Against Online Hate: by Zoe Quinn

My familiarity with Gamergate was primarily through the harassment against Anita Sarkeesian, and while names like Brianna Wu and Zoe Quinn came into my atmoshpere,  I wasn't terribly familiar with them. This book is a perfect lens into the heinous, bottomlessly cruel appetite that men online (gamers or just dudes on the internet) have for gate-keeping and marking what they perceive to be their shit. During my reading I looked up Quinn, only to be deluged by dozens and dozens of hate videos, bios on various sites like "Quinnspiracy" and was really awakened to the Scarlet letter carved onto her person. Much of this reminded me of reading about the FBI going after James Baldwin after he chided Robert Kennedy for being woefully ignorant on the needs of Black America and labeling MLK as the "Most Dangerous Negro in the Country". Not to equate Quinn with that caliber of Civil Rights leaders exactly, but it's all the same, isn't it? The opposition will try to murder anyone for any perceived slight if the slight brings attention to the twisted normalcy of their communities. It's all the damn same. Quinn's voice as a writer is pretty young, and the book could honestly have withstood some editing. But this is clearly a woman with PTSD and who's life will never be the same because of one dude. I think this is required reading for everyone who goes online, which is everyone, as the second half is a solid instruction guide on how to guard oneself from the sinister actions of anyone who could dox or SWAT you for whatever reason.

22 hours ago, teenalphabro said:

Recently, I've started reading through the Dark Tower books. Right now I'm on The Waste Lands, and I really wish people knew King more for stuff like this than his horror stuff. 

Long days and pleasant nights, I am currently on Wizard and Glass.

House of Small Shadows by Adam Nevill: I got 10 chapters in before putting it away. In those quick-to-read pages, there's a lot of setup. Dare I say too much, as the character spends several chapters getting from her car to the house in question. And once she's inside, it's no better; the dilly-dallying continues. It's an okay read, but I need things to move along.

Hard Road by JB Turner: Prime Reading had this for free, so I gave it a chance. It's exactly what you'd expect from a book about a contract killer: job goes wrong, everyone is after him, his loved ones are in danger, and he has nowhere to turn. I've stopped for now, but I'll come back.

Department of Temporal Investigations: Watching the Clock by  Christopher L. Bennett: Despite having read dozens of Star Wars books and stories, I've never read a Star Trek novel from start-to-finish. This being about the DTI (as seen in "Trials and Tribble-ations"), which is the Federation's official time-travel investigative division, it has my attention. So far I'm ~60 pages in and this is a lot of fun. Not quite sure where it's going just yet, but that's okay. These are fresh characters that need a lot of pages to introduce them. It's also clear Bennett is a Doctor Who fan. Not only does he use a Doctor Who quote to open the book, a Vulcan gives the "wibbly wobbly, timey wimey" speech but only as a Vulcan can.