Thor: Ragnarok

I was wondering why I wasn’t seeing a ton of discussion of Thor: Ragnarok until I realised that it wasn’t out in the US yet. I thought it was a good movie, but it didn’t really amaze me like I was hoping for it to. I’m not sure the Marvel movies are even capable of that at this point. They’ve got this nice comfortable formulae going on that’s fine and all, but I feel like I can skip most of them.

I don’t want to be too negative because in a lot of ways it’s good. It’s just that every character makes a humorous quip at some point, and nobody is 100% serious all the time. And that definitely takes me out of the experience at times. Plus they have to cram a ton of stuff into the start, which makes it all feel a bit rushed for the first 30min or so. But I think people are going to like it a whole lot.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a tough balancing act. I think the humour and levity generally make the Marvel films better, but there's a tipping point. When even the evil Godess of Death is doing it (only once, but still) it really starts to feel like I'm just watching a bunch of actors having fun and riffing on each other. Which I think is fine for a 90min comedy, but for a 2 hour plus superhero flick that also has it's share of melodrama it's hard to really get invested in what's happening.

Also just randomly; between this and Moana it's cool to hear a thick Kiwi accents in such a mainstream, big budget productions.

That's to me the biggest hangup I have with the MCU, it's gotten to the point where you wonder if the Russo bros. are the only ones not embarassed by their franchise characters, because the humor serves as a distancing tool to keep things silly and comic booky without any sense of gravitas or import in its own universe. It's what let down Dr. Strange, where everyone wanted or hoped for a moody, otherworldly mindtrip, and it was basically Beyonce jokes. I still like Strange, but whereas Ant-Man needed humor to help carry it and establish an identity, most of these other characters in films do not. Ragnarok in mythology is meant to be the death of Thor, so when this was first announced I was hoping for an epic throwdown. But if the film is as gleefully goofy as it's been majorly promoted as, that'll be a disappointment. There has to be a balance to these things, and it can't be as hard as some directors see it as.

15 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

The story that is making the rounds is that they had a 100 minute cut of the film that had little to no humor. After Comic-Con, they reedited it to add some if the more jokey stuff back in.

I can't imagine a 100 minute cut of the film based off the current release. There's so much stuff happening. They'd have to cut out a couple of characters almost entirely.

I enjoyed this movie. Had a long talk with my brother who didn't appreciate the film's self-defeating humor over moments of sincerity, and I agree that unless they're the Russos, Marvel still acts as though it's ashamed when serious things are happening. But I thought the story they told with Thor, his family, his destiny and everything was very solid and Hela was an unbelievably sold threat. The parts that worked really worked over any lame parts of humor.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 11:16 AM, The Master said:

My guess: Hercules will be introduced very soon.

I Fuckin’ hope so. That said, I liked this. Didn’t love it. I liked the idea of Shakespearean high drama in the MCU and I thought the first Thor did a nice job with that. This was a Guardians movie. Not to say I don’t love the Guardians flicks, or that this didn’t work. But it wasn’t a  Thor film. This was a Hulk movie or a Herc movie. 

And maybe it’s because I loved Hulk and his Warbound, but, Korg really bugged me. Comic Korg was a serious, capable warrior who literally wanted to kill Thor for decimating his people. 

Movie Korg was... ...Idiot Kiwi Ben Grimm?

And yes, Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston and Jeff Goldblum are all very funny guys. I loved Hemsworth In Ghostbusters. Goldblum has made a second career out of being weird and funny. 

You know who else is a very funny guy? Robert DeNiro.  I still don’t want to see him in a comedy. Thor doesn’t need to be funny. He needs to be badass and wreck stuff with his hammer like he’s in a Dio music video. The opening with him destroying Sutur’s forces to “The Immigrant Song”? That’s the perfect Thor movie. It’s like Waiti knew exactly what to do, but decided  to throw us a curveball. It was still pretty good, but it could have been so much better. 

And fuck off for killing the Warriors Three. You want comic relief in Thor and you kill Volstagg?

This was so much fucking fun. Yeah, it's way goofier than either of the other Thor movies, but the other Thor movies range from "eh, it's alright" to "I can't remember, did I even see that one?" so it's all good. It was great to see the Hulk as an actual character, and not just the smash engine that gets turned on in Act 3.

And I marked out so fucking hard for the Don Blake moment.

I, too, did not love that the Warriors Three got dispatched at all, let alone so quickly. I get that Zach Levi is going to be busy on the other side of the aisle for the foreseeable future, but that was unnecessary. Hell, except for Loki, Heimdall and Sif (by dint of not being in the movie at all), Thor's entire family and all of his Asgardian friends are dead.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

This was so much fucking fun. Yeah, it's way goofier than either of the other Thor movies, but the other Thor movies range from "eh, it's alright" to "I can't remember, did I even see that one?" so it's all good. It was great to see the Hulk as an actual character, and not just the smash engine that gets turned on in Act 3.

And I marked out so fucking hard for the Don Blake moment.

Hide contents

I, too, did not love that the Warriors Three got dispatched at all, let alone so quickly. I get that Zach Levi is going to be busy on the other side of the aisle for the foreseeable future, but that was unnecessary. Hell, except for Loki, Heimdall and Sif (by dint of not being in the movie at all), Thor's entire family and all of his Asgardian friends are dead.

What were the Don Blake moments?

Spoiler

My brother who's a Thor expert compared to me was pretty offended at the light tone in the face of the deaths of the Warriors Three, and the fact that Thor never seemed aware of it. Intellectually, they never did much in the films so on that level you'd think it's fine but they are legitimately Thor's best friends. I agree that they should've at least gone out together with Hogun. And my brain couldn't help but scream "WHERE IS SIF?!" throughout the movie.

The movie is hella fun, but it has a tone problem. You can't make jokes at the end when Thor loses an eyeball and his homeworld is destroyed in front of his and his people's eyes. Fuck off forever, Korg.

Putting it in tags for anyone who hasn't seen/heard about it:

Smashing his umbrella on the ground to switch from street clothes to armor was a callback to Blake smashing his cane to transform into Thor. It was a small thing but a really cool little touch (along with an honest-to-God "By Odin's beard!" at one point).

I have not seen it yet, but was surprised when I went to my grandparents. We were all watching a football game and my mother commented that one of the players long blonde hair looked gross.  I said that maybe he wanted to be Thor. She just interjected with

"But in the new movie he has short hair!"

I wonder if she is a closet Thor fan.

I liked this, but I think they went a little to far with the haha.  And no even about the serious vs. jokey thing.  Kinda felt like they were afraid for Thor to just be a badass. 

Spoiler

Like, Thor being awkward when talking about Valkyries or the spinning in the beginning.  The right about of funny.  Thor knocking himself in the head breaking a window?  Not so much.

Oh, and

Spoiler

I hated the way 2/3 of the Warriors Three were treated.  At least let them die in battle like Hogun. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I also finally watched it, yesterday. There was way, way too much joking and comedy.

I'm not against humor in a superhero movie, but the tone needs to be much more serious when the subject matter is the end of the world. Cracking jokes as Asgard is annihilated by Surtur is all wrong for what is happening on the screen. This complete lack of seriousness in what should be a horrifying moment is something Michael Bay would do. If my home was burning down and someone cracked a joke, I would punch him in the face - especially if there were fatalities in the fire. People are dying, you nitwit.

The humor takes you out of the movie, almost as if the script writers are going out of their way to remind the viewer that this is all make-believe. Yes, we know.

Plus, the tone doesn't fit with the Thor character, who is much more serious in the comics. It fits better with a character like Spider-Man. Good movie, but the overly lighthearted tone hurts it a lot.