"If you were going to give the United States of America an enema, you'd stick the hose right here in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania!" Yes, this week Raw emanates from the Steel City as the build to SummerSlam continues. Sable finds herself next to a stack of cash as Vince struggles to connect with his audience, Shotgun is missing and presumed miss-able, the Godwinns are in a real love / hate situation, and we catch up with The Undertaker at home prior to his match with The Hitman. [ 1:54:38 || 55.1 MB ]

So in the Godwinns vs. Legion of Doom feud, how are the Godwinns the heels?

They're angry and seeking revenge because the LOD legitimately broke Henry's neck. Seems that they have a legitimate reason to be doing what they are doing, and the LOD should be the heels.

The LOD was also pretty stale by 1997, so a heel turn would have been a way to freshen up the act. Granted, it might not have taken, but it would have been worth trying.

Henry Godwinn got hurt via a legal move in a contact sport, sucks but it happens. As a result the Godwinns try to cheap shot and deliberately injure Hawk. Godwinns are bad for that. Also the LOD still get pops at this point and shouldn't be going heel.

I dunno, I feel like between his neck and his situation with Vince that gets a few nods Henry has legitimate grievances. In his situation I think most wrestlers would take a mild heel turn. 

I mean, it's not like Hawk and Animal are especially apologetic about the whole situation. If someone told me "I didn't mean to break your neck but hey shit happens" I'd hit them with a bucket.

14 hours ago, Stavros said:

If someone told me "I didn't mean to break your neck but hey shit happens" I'd hit them with a bucket.

I legit chuckled at this one.

I hated the Hawk addiction angle though, as well as the Scott Hall alcoholic angle a year later.

These are serious matters. They shouldn't be fodder for a storyline, they should be the reason a wrestler is taken off TV and off the road and put into rehab: Clean up or you are fired. Too many guys have died or suffered badly to treat it any other way. Hate to be a downer, but I don't have much of a sense of humor when it comes to stuff like this.

15 hours ago, Kscriv said:

Henry Godwinn got hurt via a legal move in a contact sport

Could have been spun differently. For the most part, heels and faces are who the writers decide they are. It would have been interesting to see it taken in a different direction. Of course, we're 20 years out, so there's no way to know what would have worked.

Man. It blows my mind that 1997 was 20 years ago. I am such an old man.

1 hour ago, S-T said:

I legit chuckled at this one.

I hated the Hawk addiction angle though, as well as the Scott Hall alcoholic angle a year later.

These are serious matters. They shouldn't be fodder for a storyline, they should be the reason a wrestler is taken off TV and off the road and put into rehab: Clean up or you are fired. Too many guys have died or suffered badly to treat it any other way. Hate to be a downer, but I don't have much of a sense of humor when it comes to stuff like this.

Trust me, the sarcasm was heavy when I referenced the upside of those angles. Some truly reprehensible stuff there.

13 minutes ago, slothian said:

Wait, did I send an email or not? The edit made this NO clearer.

Er. Yes. But there was an issue so the segment involving it had to excised. It will be read! Probably next episode. Certainly I have an audio file containing a botched half read I plan to use at some point.