Help Influence Episode 50!!

slothian

Yes, you can help influence not only the film Pandy & I use as the joint review, but the homework we assign each other to plot the range of their career. As announced in Episode 48, our subject will be Keanu Reeves.

Pandy & I will take an executive decision on what makes the joint review on Friday 19th January so get your ideas in before then!

NB) We won't be covering Constantine or Speed.

Although the Matrix is an easy-instant choice, it's generally agreed that he's very wooden in that one. I'd like to throw up not only the first John Wick film, but Johnny Mnemonic. He goes wild in that movie, and it really shows off a range not often discussed by people.

I want to say Parenthood, but I don't think he's in  much of it. To that end:

• Point Break
  • Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (though, covering Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey would offer a TABHAL / Wonderfalls crossover thanks to William Sadler)
  • Much Ado About Nothing
  • A Walk in the Clouds

EDIT: When I told Shana about this poll, she rightly said A Walk in the Clouds is a must. It's so... odd.

Edited by The Master

Definitely John Wick (Don't get on his Wick!)

I don't think you can't do a Bill and Ted film as they are so very different from the parts he'd play in later life but if you wanted an alternative early Reeves I'd suggest a 1986 film called River's Edge. 

For a third I'd say either Point Break which was his coming out party as an action film lead or maybe My Own Private Idaho where he plays opposite River Phoenix.

• 2 weeks later...

That all said, Keanu has three iconic roles: Ted in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Neo in The Matrix, and John Wick in John Wick. The fun part is looking at roles outside of those. You have stuff like My Own Private Idaho, The Devil's Advocate, The Replacements, or Something's Gotta Give (though that can be saved for Diane Keaton month).

Matrix and John Wick do involve action, but the different genres showcase different strengths for Keanu. Matrix-Sci-Fi: Keanu plays the new guy who learns everything. He's like Harry Potter. John Wick-straight action. He's the experienced legend. Both films have action sequences and fight scenes, but they showcase Reeves not only at different points of his career, but different arrows in his quiver.