Every comic you've read in 2018

Missy

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Batman #45-47: Hmm. I think I might take your advice and pair this with Action Comics for a review. In truth, I think I enjoyed Action more than this. These issues were the same dialogue repeated over and over and over again. Also: "Meow." STOP IT!

The Amazing Spider-Man #801: A sentimental, low-key ending to Slott's run. It read a bit too quick, but you'll stick around for the Marcos Martin art.

Tony Stark: Iron Man #1: For this debut issue, Slott goes for it. Lots of new ideas mixed with little hints of continuity. This is gonna be fun. And it has Valerio Schiti on art, he who drew three of recent issues of Marvel 2-in-One. Together they really pull of some crazy things.

4 hours ago, The Master said:

The Amazing Spider-Man #801: A sentimental, low-key ending to Slott's run. It read a bit too quick, but you'll stick around for the Marcos Martin art.

The detail I liked, and credit to the colorist, was how in the flashback Peter's reds and blues on his suit were darker than they are in the modern day. IDK if I've before seen that referenced in a single issue.

The Silencer #2: this is turning out pretty fun. Very cinematic.

The Terrifics #1: I'm intrigued. It's so obviously DC's Fantastic Four that it really puzzles me why they haven't done it before (obviously besides Challengers of the Unbeknown which the FF was based on, don't @ me, I'm aware). It didn't light me on fire, but I'll give it another issue or two.

The Wilds #1: not my bag at all.

Venom #162: this is really fun. Contnuing the crossover with...

X-Men Blue #22: these guys. Still great.

Avengers Back to Basics #1: oof...terrible. I'm out.

Avengers #683: well, they finally figured Voyager out. Great ending to this issue.

Batman #42: God, this is terrible.

Betty the Slayer Mitchell #1: Naw....I'm good.

Captain America #699: this turned out a lot better than I expected.

Doctor Star & The Kingdom of Lost Tomorrow #1: solid. Right up my alley.

Dodge City #1: not for me at all.

Redlands vol 1: i read the first 2 issues of this and didn't like it, but I had already ordered the trade by the time I got around to them. So, I decided to give it a fresh pair of eyes. I still did not like this. I like the premise a lot, but the opening issue tries to be an entire John Carpenter film, but then we're supposed to follow the villains from the first issue as our protagonists with zero regard to the fact that they basically murdered a bunch of people and took over a town. It's so truncated a story that it leaves my head spinning by the time it just turns into a stock serial killer story. What the fuck?

Comics: 694

Trades: 18

Graphic Novels: 8

Omnibus: 9

Batman: Gotham Adventures #54: A simple story of missing manuscripts of famous literature. A small-time robbery that should be beneath Batman's notice, or is it? This is a terrific done-in-one detective story with a solid twist ending that would've been great as an episode of the animated series. Recommended. 

Trade Paperbacks: 16

Single Issues: 150

Man of Steel #5 (2018): Still good.

Detective Comics #983: Pretty good. I've been looking forward to Bryan Edward Hill's run, and I like that he's not abandoning the Bat-Family. 

Bane: CONQUEST #12: Decent end to a pretty decent series. No one writes Bane like his creator, and, all these years later, no matter how much Chuck Dixon has turned, he's still one of the best Batman writers of all time.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #47: The whole thing with Darkstar Guy and Hal losing his memories felt like filler detour, but WOW was the artwork pretty.

Batman - Prelude to the Wedding: Harley vs. Joker: Not awful, but I didn't see the point of this. The whole idea of the wedding making everybody fight is silly.

Batgirl #24 (2018): That sure was a comic book.

Ms. Marvel #31 (#50): What a fun series of stories. I love this character and this book.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 25th Anniversary Special: A fun collection of stories. I'm not terribly familiar with the Galaxy or Space Rangers, but I appreciate the continued dedication towards the legacy for the fans.

Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man #306: I'm not crazy about the super sci-fi arc with time travel and robots, but Chip Zdarsky writes a helluva Peter Parker. Every issue has great moments, and this is no exception.

Single Issues: 159

The Flash #49: This is so good!

Detective Comics #983: If they kill Cass, I'm done.

Marvel 2-in-One #7: Easily the weakest of the run so far.

Multiple Man #1: I'll stick with it, but it's being too cute for its own good.

Old Man Logan #42: The fight with Kraven ends with a whimper.

Exit Stage Left The Snagglepuss Chronicles #3: I get it, and it's good, but it's just not exciting. I'm out.

Gideon Falls #1: I'm intrigued. I'll give it another.

Green Hornet #1: terrible. Just...so typical.

Iceman #11: not the best ending. This turned into some lame-ass shit at the end.

Infinity Countdown #1: I get that GOTG was cancelled and then said it would spin into this but I've read issues of GOTG with fewer pages devoted to the characters from that team. This is supposed to be a big event, but so little is dedicated to doing anything with the setup that I'm a little suspect. Not sure why they didn't do the  "Infinity Countdown Guardians of the Galaxy #1" thing that they're doing with the other characters that crossover into it. I'll give it another but my expectations aren't high.

Jughead The Hunger #4: this was ok.

Oblivion Song #1: holy shit...terrible.

Comics: 701

Trades: 18

Graphic Novels: 8

Omnibus: 9

Kill or Be Killed #1-20: After a botched suicide attempt, Dylan begins to see a demon who tells him that the price for his continued life is that he must kill at least one person each month. If not, the demon will return. From there he begins a killing spree that puts him the crosshairs of the Russian mob and the NYPD. However, what if there is no demon; what if Dylan is a troubled young man who's frustrated with society and its lack of perceived justice?

This is an excellent series by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips, one which keeps changing from beginning to end. Every time you think you know where it's headed, you're hit with a left turn. If it isn't made into a TV show or movie within five years I will be shocked.

Prism Stalker #1: the story is mostly over-written pap, but the art is remarkably beautiful in places. Weirdly, some of it is terrible. Very odd. I'm out.

Rogue & Gambit #3: solid. Never a huge fan of "fighting different versions of myself" stories, but the interplay is fun.

Lann: a terrible Eros graphic novel by Frank Thorne (the creator of Red Sonja) and it is terrible.

Mage-The Hero Defined vol 3, 4: this series is a huge growth from the first story (The Hero Discovered). The first story is raw and angry, violent and plain. This one, on the other hand, is a masterwork. It's truly beautiful. This explodes the world into several different mythos and is really formative for me as a writer. I was always missing a couple issues of this, so it's nice to finally read it in total. Can't wait to get my hands on the next storyline.

The Flash by Mark Waid Book Four: This one kicks off with the Zero Hour zero issue, then spins off into the massive Terminal Velocity storyline which makes Impulse seem like a character and not a caricature. Then there's some really marginal stuff afterwards. 

Birthright Volume 6 Fatherhood: fuck, this is amazing.

Comics: 703

Trades: 21

Graphic Novels: 9

Omnibus: 910

James Bond: The Body #1-6: While the first three issues read like unrelated Bond adventures, the series comes together as a whole during the fourth. It's then that the bigger pictures starts to form, and, by the end, you see what Bond was chasing. In some ways, this six-issue series reminds me of Global Frequency: one writer, different artists per issue, single adventures. But, as noted, there is a larger game at play here. The final issue is also a nice quiet way to end it all.

Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #21: I've been sort of out of caring about this title for a little bit, but I enjoyed this issue.

Nightwing #46 (2016): Pretty god again. I really don't like the knee-jerk dynamic modern writers give Dick and Babs, where she's constantly bitchy to him and we're supposed to just accept this as playful banter. Do better writers.

Man of Steel #6 (2018):

Spoiler

I was sure Lois and Jon's whereabouts wouldn't mean their death but it's a so-so reveal. But the overall story conclusion was good.

Batman #50:

Spoiler

For someone who's been very hot and cold on King's much celebrated run, I have to say that I thought from a writing perspective this was one of the best I've seen from him. Above all else, I do believe in the love Bruce and Selina have for each other, and the reason Selina gives for ditching him at the alter makes complete sense in how she expresses her feelings about it. However the real ending with this whole thing implied to be a plot by the villains led by Bane is SUPER intriguing to me. I really was thrown by that, and that they're all characters who've appeared during King's Rebirth run makes me want to find out what happens next. It also explains the weirdness of Bruce wanting only Batman to get married and not Bruce Wayne, if they don't know Batman's identity. Stuff like that and having him pick Superman as his best man come into context much better. I was never suckered into thinking the marriage was 100% going to happen, so I'm not as disappointed as people are going to be. On the contrary, I feel the urge to re-read King's run up to now and see how things will turn out from here on in.

Captain America #1 (2018): By Ta-Nehesi Coates and Lenil Yu

I think the basic plot was so-so. It was Cap by the numbers and the exposition was a bit clunky. But I really enjoyed Coates' inner monologue for Cap, which felt true for both the character and the writer.

Batman #50: Blue eyes. Green eyes. Blue eyes. Green eyes. Shut the fuck up! I like Tom King, a lot, but his matching narration and dialogue is getting tired. As for the ending, he says this is the midway point of a 100-issue story so I'll see where it goes.

Catwoman #1: This didn't really grab me, but I like Joëlle Jones so I'll stick around for a bit.

Cosmic Ghost Rider #1: There's a scene that made me laugh out loud. (You'll know it when you get there.) And babychest returns!

Death of the Inhumans #1: Well, this book took a few big players off the board. *shakes fist*

Wolverine: Origins #1-3: I planned to read all 50 issues, but these opening three really set a poor tone. I think I'm out.

Man of Steel #1-6:

Spoiler

If we get the space adventures of Lois, Jon, and Jor-El in their own book, I will go along with this. If not, this very much feels like Bendis clearing the board to write a single Superman.

Weapon X #20: Holy crap! Someone is getting me to like Omega Red!

X-Men: Gold #31: Instead of focusing on the aftermath of the non-wedding, we're shunted to a Days of Future Past timeline. It's fine but not for me.

The Immortal Hulk #2: Oh man! This is an old school horror comic featuring Banner and The Hulk. More of this please!

Captain America #1: I think I'll wait for the trade here. It's solid and is very much set in the Golden Shitgibbon's America, but I'm not yet compelled to read this issue to issue.

Batman 50: EYYYYYYES. (Tuned out the narration over the pinups pretty damn quick, tbh, but goddamn those pinups were great.)  You can tell the main artist was feeling the deadline at some points during this issue, which is maybe not the feeling you want for a 50th issue? As to the ultimate twist? OK, let's see where this goes. Also would put down money that Bats is now gonna go super dark and whatnot.

My Solo Exchange Diary: Somehow haven't written this one up. A continuiation of My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness, in that it gets deeper into the dynamics of her family (and hooooooooly shit), and her first attempts to live on her own. Hit very close to home in some unexpected ways. And apparently this is the first volume, so there will be more. I look forward to being further devastated!

Relish: Graphic memoir, picked this up remaindered at Unabridged. Gorgeous comics looking at the artist's relationship to food 

Beneath the Dead Oak Tree: Carroll does a short form horror comic that I'm pretty sure is based on an old folk song? Not sure. Either way, FUUUUUUCK. 

Isola 3-4: The comic continues to be a masterwork in color and art by Kreschl. I have no damn clue what's going on in the plot. I'm pretty okay with that. 

Prism Stalker 4-5: Art is the main draw here, but the story is still followable, even with the grade A hallucinations that we get here. Interested to see how the exams turn out next issue. 

Monstress 17-18: I still don't have a damn clue what's happening storywise, but fuck, this is one of those "I will buy this in single issues and in trades even though I get review copies" series, just for Sana Takeda's art. 

Zodiac Starforce: Cries of the Fire Prince 4: The last issue of this came out long ago that I've genuinely forgotten what was going on in the series to this point. *shrug* It's good to see Paulina back on art. Uhm. Nudge me when the trade is out, and maybe I can tell you about how I feel about the arc as a whole? It feels like it was going to be longer originally, but I know Paulina had some health problems that caused some pretty massive delays.

Sex Criminals 25: Holy catharsis Batman. And apparently they're wrapping for now? Hell, I should probably try to catch up. 

WicDiv 36-37: Apparently I never put WicDiv 36 in this thread. Whoops. Great follow up on the Baal stuff, and a hell of a nine panel grid historical storytelling that has me intrigued. 37 follows up on one of those panels a bit more in a way that has me intrigued to see what's gonna resolve next issue. But mostly it's the Baph/Morrigan fight you knew was coming, with some crazy work by McKelvie and Wilson. 

Unnatural 1: Bitch Planet/Handmaid's Tale-adjacent dystopia focused on "proper" relationships and babies resulting from these relationships, in an anthropomorphic (but not so much that it goes full furry) world. Andolfo's art and color work seems to glow at times, and with her expertise in erotica, I'm very intrigued to see where this goes. 

I Hate Fairyland 20: Final issue, unexpectedly! And I missed a few issues too, so. Interesting wrapup, nonetheless. 

Descender 31: Second to last issue, and goddamn, it's amazing to see Nguyen get to use his watercolors on the fight scenes like this. 

The New World 1: Intriguing first issue, I'm way more interested in Tradd Moore's art than whatever Kot is jerking off onto the page this time, tbh. I'll follow the review copies and probably fall off it before it finishes, and then just  read the trade. 

Previews: 2
Zines (kinda): 1

Single Issues: 96 (not counting rereads from this year)
Trades/Tankobon/Graphic Novels/Anthologies: 46
Omnibuses: 1

She-Hulk #163: this ended kind of ho-hum. It was headed down after the first few issues anyway. Bummer.

Superman #42: this was so damned fun. 

The Ballad of Sang #1: this one plays out like the pre-credit flashback sequence in a classic kung fu film. I'll check out another and see where it's going.

The Highest House #1: snooze-worthy.

Uber Invasion #12: this was great. It's all fucking great.

X-Men Gold #23: this was really fun. Solid and tense.

X-Men Red #2: if this becomes the regular x-book then I'm in with both feet.

Action Comics #999: a lovely detour from the lameness of the Booster Gold run. This is a great picture of what makes a Superman comic awesome: he's out in the cosmos trying to find something to help rehabilitate one of the greatest villains the earth has ever seen while Lois and Superboy are in Metropolis arguing with Lois' dad about why the world needs Superman. It's beautiful and simple. If this is the last Superman comic I enjoy, it will be a good one.

All-New Wolverine #32: this was great. Consolidating Laura's whole new mission into one issue and smart and funny and violent and in perfect keeping with the rest of the series.

Avengers #684: ok. Everyone knows what's going on but the fucking Hulk is back. I'm in.

Betrothed #1: ugh...

Come Into Me #1: I was hoping for some solid body horror, but this is not that.

Detective Comics #976: solid. I was ok with the issue, but I LOVED the ending.

Eternity Girl #1: I loved this. Feels more like a Black Hammer comic than Vertigo, but I'm in for more.

Giants #4: solid. I really enjoy this world they've built here.

Comics: 718

Trades: 21

Graphic Novels: 9

Omnibus: 10

In all my years of reading X-Men, I've always been used to there being one good book with one bad book (Case in point: New X-Men by Grant Morrison was great when you had Uncanny X-Men by Chuck Austin which gave us The Draco). I'm not sure what to do when the three main books are consistently awesome outside of being excited.

Superman #1 (2018): I liked this. Ivan Reis is at his best, and I'm loving how character-driven Bendis' writing is, making this a Clark book first and foremost. IDK if J'onn J'onzz would actually be suggesting what he suggested to him, but we'll see if that goes anywhere. Otherwise, this is a solid start to the new volume.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #48: Solid comics. I love Guy constructing a monster truck to fight with.

Detective Comics #984: Another good issue. I'm not crazy about Black Lightning learning Batman's identity a second time, only because I read him first learning it way back in Batman and the Outsiders from the 80s. I prefer him already knowing, BUT I know this is Rebirth and the timelines and all that jazz so it's not biggie. The artwork is solid.

Single Issues: 164