Missy

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ghost Squad: film festival entry.

Men in Black 3: this is such fun. I think it's probably the best of the franchise. It has emotional weight, fun time travel stuff, great alien design and a wonderful villain. Also, Brolin is awesome.

Features: 80

Shorts: 42

Documentaries: 4

Rewatches:

Major League: watched this with my youngest today as he's been asking for it. Far more straight-faced than I remember as a kid. I distinctly remember it being more screwball, but this comes across more Bull Durham with a wink and a laugh. Maybe I'm thinking of the sequel which I also haven't seen since it came out.

Haven's End: feature for the festival

Features: 84

Documentaries: 4

Rewatches:

The Fear Footage: feature of the festival

GLOW: The Story of Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling: this is sweet and Megan wanted to watch it after finishing season 2 so we did. It's sweet.

Features: 86

Documentaries: 5

Rewatches:

Major League II: this is legit way better than the original. I mixed some of this one up with the original which is why I remembered that one being funnier. There's a couple great characters added and Omar Epps replaces Wesley Snipes as Snipes had gone on to be a total action movie star at that point. There's a running gag about his bad action movie throughout. It's pretty solid. 

Major League: Back to the Minors: I'm not entirely certain, but this is probably the best of the series making this the only (I think) trilogy that's better in reverse order. Though I feel like I made that assertion before, I can't recall what it was in relation to. Dumb fun here, but some really awesome baseball footage and Ted McGinley as a bad guy is ALWAYS  good call in this kind of movie. Bakula steps into the Bringer role and he's a lot more relatable. Haysbert is the absolute star of this series. 

Features: 88

Rewatches:

4 hours ago, Professor said:

Crossroads - I know I've seen this before, but that must have been 25ish years ago.  Been on a blues kick so this popped into my head.  It's okay.  Not much happens and Ralph Macchio is not very good.  I can see why I had little memory of this.

Some solid Steve Vai guitar work though.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom: I see what they were attempting. I appreciate the shift in the series. There were some great moments and visuals, Ted Levine was fantastic. But the story was a mess. Good techinical filmmaking, not a good film. 

Red Sparrow: Not bad, but the shine is really off the Jennifer Lawrence Apple for me. She’s not as strong an actress as she’s been treated. But, Jeremy Irons and Ciran Hinds should probably be in everything. 

2 hours ago, Preston said:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom: I see what they were attempting. I appreciate the shift in the series. There were some great moments and visuals, Ted Levine was fantastic. But the story was a mess. Good techinical filmmaking, not a good film.

Agreed on all counts. I was gonna write a review of it last month but didn't get to see it till long after everyone else would have done. I'd say it's probably the third-best Jurassic film thus far but that's not a high bar to reach.

Real Genius: At first I was afraid that this was going to be a "smart nerd vs. dumb jock" story but was pleasantly surprised to see it ended up being nerd vs. famous scientist (nerd vs. geek?). It made me miss the days where nerds would build their own products as opposed to shows like "The Big Bang Theory" where all the nerd gadgets are product placement. It feels like there should be more stories of misfits building their own things, now that maker spaces are becoming more popular. I am also seeing lots of middle and high schoolers building and programming robots from Dean Kamens F.I.R.S.T.

Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children: Asa Butterfield and Terrence Stamp worked wonderfully off of each other. I know Mr. Stamp has been in a few Burton films but I was glad to see it wasn't the same cast of Jonny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter etc.... Samuel L. Jackson dominated every scene he was in. I now might read the book to see if his servants looked so much like Slenderman.

War Dogs: this is kind of like Todd Phillips by way of Oliver Stone. I enjoyed this quite a bit. Really funny, crazy story, great acting from Jonah Hill and goddamn Bradley Cooper is a national treasure. He's totally wasted in Hollywood. This film uses him to his strengths.

German Angst: review forthcoming

Karate Kid: see, it's weird. I remember the end if this movie way differently. My brain put the beginning of the second KK film at the end of the first because the ending of this one was kind of bunk. This is much more of a covert Morita versus Kove film as opposed to Daniel vs. Johnny, IMO. It's a battle of ideologies. Pat Morita is fucking amazing in this one, but it's really fun to watch this having seen Cobra Kai recently. David, who had only seen CK, was like "Daniel really IS the bad guy!" He's not right, but he's not wrong. The characters are really nuanced and CK does not really change the history to make Johnny  a sympathetic character. A few of the CK guys are cartoonish assholes, but Johnny is always pretty restrained and never really attacks unprovoked. It's an interesting look back, nonetheless.

The Invitation/The Bar: reviews forthcoming.

Features: 96

Rewatches:

Mission Impossible: FALLOUT: You know, I was expecting more from this. The movie has got crazy good reviews, and it is definitely fun with some of the best stunt work of the year to be sure. It's good, but it doesn't quite meet the hype for me personally. The writing in places is a bit sloppy, and sometimes it does bleed into being the self-serving Tom Cruise show. I did enjoy it, but not as much as I wanted to.

Teen Titans GO to the Movies: Many people have said this is Deadpool for kids, and it reminds me more of Lego Batman. There's a sincerity to this that doesn't actually match the cutthroat cynicism of the show, but is nice to see nonetheless. It's funny, fast-paced, and kids definitely love it. I don't think it'll appeal to most everyone on this site, and the show generally doesn't always appeal to me either, but it's still good for what it is.

Spider-Man (2002):

I own this movie. I've seen it a number of times. I watched it for the sake of a podcast just to be on the safe side as it had been a few years since I'd seen it from start to finish.

Six films and nearly twenty years later, this movie holds up unbelievably. The realization of so many elements from the source material (particularly the Osborns who are spot-on perfect), the skillful balance of tones, the efficacy of the mixing the realistic with the fantastic. Man...nobody did it like Sam Raimi. Is the CGI dated? Stupid question, but so? Are there cheesy bits? There are cheesy bits in every classic film that stand the test of time. Is there anything that needed to be changed? If I had my way Peter would've invented his web-shooters, but that's such a non-issue in the film. Even the Green Goblin who people frequently yelp about looking ridiculous...that never jumps out at me like it does with most people because Willem DaFoe is giving one of his best performances ever, nailing Norman Osborn in a way I don't see anyone coming near anytime soon. Even things that I've previously griped about like Tobey's acting and Spidey's quips are in much better relief in this first film.

This is an A movie, and really makes much of the latter half of the MCU pale in comparison. Talk about an eye-opening viewing experience.

I've mentioned this before, but the key bit for me, though small, is the jump scare when Norman is trying to remember the accident. It's not only a sign of Raimi's personal touch on the film, but it's a cinematic technique that nobody now would think to put in a superhero movie.