Missy

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

This was a load of silly fun. Excellent casting and well played by all. The 'kids' who're inside the avatars are by far the weakest link but there's a memorable "Oh shit, it's Colin Hanks!" moment to make up for it.

Doubleplusungood: feature for the festival

The Miniaturist: this is a two-part BBc thing, but there's no way this doesn't count as a movie. Brilliant and beautiful, with an incredible performance from my new favorite actress Anya Taylor Joy.

The Dark Room/Lunch Ladies/Seafood Diet: shorts for the festival

Features: 2

Shorts: 3

Documentaries:

Rewatches:

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle: pretty dumb fun. Pretty much whatever Pandy said.

Birthday/Hooker Assassin/The Spider/Masters of War/Jingle Hell/Behind the Curtain/Freelancer: shorts for the festival

Features: 3

Shorts: 10

Documentaries:

Rewatches:

Just watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time. What a load of pretentious old wank.

Don't get me wrong, there's some lovely effects and the dialogue portions are genuinely good, but they get sidelined for wackiness and goddam apes. FFS.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory: Early day off at work. Saw it on Netflix. Sure.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: Part of why the humor works so well in GotG but doesn't in Thor: Ragnarok is that the film establishes these emotional anchor scenes early on so the humor serves it instead of undercutting it. It essentially gets across a message most millennials can agree on at this point: Family and Kin aren't always the same thing.

Star Trek Beyond: I only half watched it because I was playing Overwatch also. It was good.

Films: 4

On 1/14/2018 at 4:52 PM, teenalphabro said:

Atomic Blonde: An incredible action movie that's bogged down by one bad decision: the death of a notable queer female character. Other than that problem I have with it, I enjoyed it. 

Films Watched: 4

Just curious, why was that a bad decision?

15 hours ago, Professor said:

Just curious, why was that a bad decision?

While I'm not gonna speak for every queer person, we generally agree that 'Burying Your Gays,' or the act of killing one of the only two queer people on screen in order to cause angst for the other one, generally isn't very cool, and has implications towards the idea that queer people are only good at dying or suffering. Personally, I'm not above killing queer characters, but I'm also of the opinion that you need to be extremely careful when doing it, for obvious reasons.

3 hours ago, teenalphabro said:

While I'm not gonna speak for every queer person, we generally agree that 'Burying Your Gays,' or the act of killing one of the only two queer people on screen in order to cause angst for the other one, generally isn't very cool, and has implications towards the idea that queer people are only good at dying or suffering. Personally, I'm not above killing queer characters, but I'm also of the opinion that you need to be extremely careful when doing it, for obvious reasons.

What Cole said. If the characters death has meaning that isn't "Inspire the straight" then it's generally acceptable. Also if they are given a genuinely badass death.

Not acceptable: To help their straight friend believe in love, shot in the back of the head, suicide because of sucky people. This is one of those tropes has been around forever but also has background in The Hays Code which basically said that this had to happen. Case in point: The Children's Hour. Shirley MacLaine's character kills herself because she realizes she's a lesbian. In the play it's based off, she doesn't.

This is one of those things I could go on and on about (and just might) but, basically, it's a sucky thing that still happens because Hollywood is broke for good ideas.

On 1/16/2018 at 3:21 PM, dc20willsave said:

What Cole said. If the characters death has meaning that isn't "Inspire the straight" then it's generally acceptable. Also if they are given a genuinely badass death.

Not acceptable: To help their straight friend believe in love, shot in the back of the head, suicide because of sucky people. This is one of those tropes has been around forever but also has background in The Hays Code which basically said that this had to happen. Case in point: The Children's Hour. Shirley MacLaine's character kills herself because she realizes she's a lesbian. In the play it's based off, she doesn't.

This is one of those things I could go on and on about (and just might) but, basically, it's a sucky thing that still happens because Hollywood is broke for good ideas.

So, one of the major interesting differences between the source material for Atomic Blonde is that the main was originally a) way more LeCarre than James Bond and b) a dude. They kept the sex of the French informant the same while changing the protagonist’s sex, which resulted in the unfortunate Bury Your Gays. 

Also it's the death of a (/only?) POC in the film. Her role in that movie pissed me off.

Better Luck Tomorrow: Pretty much the Asian-American version of the movie "Juice", this was nevertheless very impressive, both in writing and directing. It's one of those early 2000s films that feels late 90s (they're basically the same era), and has a grit and truism to it that comes off totally natural. All of the actors involved are giving some of the best performances I've seen them give, including Sung Kang and John Cho.

19 hours ago, Venneh said:

So, one of the major interesting differences between the source material for Atomic Blonde is that the main was originally a) way more LeCarre than James Bond and b) a dude. They kept the sex of the French informant the same while changing the protagonist’s sex, which resulted in the unfortunate Bury Your Gays. 

I don't know how much more I would have liked this film if the lead wasn't Charlize Theron. Sidenote: now I need to read LeCarre.