Sign in to follow this  
The Master

Every Film You've Watched in 2018

Venom: I said on social media that it's basically a late 90s/early 00s action/horror/sci-fi film a la FAUST LOVE OF THE DAMNED or GUYVER with a nine figure budget. Your mileage may vary. Hardy gives a delightfully Nic Cage-esque performance. Michelle Williams, who I've liked in basically everything I've seen of her, did not appear to want to be in this movie or understand what this movie was in any way. Really radically differing qualities of performances all around. CGI fuckfest. Fun car chase. As entertaining as any Marvel/DC movie I've seen in the past few years. Shocking casting in the first post-credits sequence. The second post-credit sequence made me and my kids want to see that new animated Spider-man thing.

Bang Bang Baby: review forthcoming. Guess I forgot to add this a couple days ago.

Features: 132

Shorts: 42

Documentaries: 9

Rewatches:

Scream: Watched it twice for an upcoming review.

Films: 63
Repeats: 5
MST3k/Rifftrax Assisted: 2
Made For TV: 2
Documentaries: 1
Straight to DVD: 5

On 10/6/2018 at 9:59 AM, dc20willsave said:

Scream: Watched it twice for an upcoming review

Looking forward to it.

Warcraft: a perfectly good fantasy film. Great effects, like next level beautiful and a serviceable story. Surprised it didn't hit bigger. It's as good or better than all of the Tolkien adaptationsJackson did.

Holidays: review forthcoming.

Features: 134

Rewatches:

A Star is Born: Absolutely phenomenal. Everyone knows I was going to gush about Gaga so yeah, she deserves every award she gets from the film. Bradley Cooper's performance is just as nuanced and his direction excels throughout the film. No, this is just so very good. I cried at the end.

Halloween: This year's Horror series I'm checking out for October is the Halloween series. The first film in the series is a great start with some solid horror moments.

Halloween 2: Setting the second film in a hospital makes for a nice difference from the original. You get more of Michael being an invincible monster which does feel some tinges of boredom in there but there's still some decent horror going on.

Films: 66
Repeats: 5
MST3k/Rifftrax Assisted: 2
Made For TV: 2
Documentaries: 1
Straight to DVD: 5

American Guinea Pig: Sacrifice/Molly: reviews forthcoming

Features: 136

Rewatches:

This is a few weeks out of date, but I re-watched Spotlight. Somewhere on this website I may have posted a ho-hum review because I watched it on a plane. This time'round, I had a way more engaged viewing experience. What more can be said about an Oscar Award-Winning film? The acting is professional, the directing (save for some slightly pretentious behind-the-head-follow-shots) is slick, the writing is taught. I appreciate that it was an adult, "R" rated film that didn't need to justify its content rating beyond the dark subject matter. People aren't swearing left and right or anything. It's just straight business.

"Oscar Award winning" and "great movie" are not mutually exclusive  - the easiest example being Braveheart.

But if Spotlight is good, then fair play to it.

Beyond the Mat: watched this again because the episode of Bruce Prichard's podcast that I've caught up to is basically a commentary on it. It's a disjointed but powerful film. It's funny now that I'm watching it when the first time I dialled in hard to Jake the Snake, but this time I really dialled in to Mick Foley. Prichard's got  great story about Foley coming into the back after the Hell in a Cell match apologizing for forgetting to do the thumbtack stunt when he was completely covered in thumbtacks. That poor man. I hope he lives a long and healthy life.

Strange Nature: review forthcoming

John Wick: review forthcoming

Features: 138

Documentaries: 10

Rewatches: