Every Film You've Watched in 2018

Missy

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade: 1999 animated adaptation of Mamoru Oshii's Kerberos Saga manga, he of Ghost in the Shell directing fame who also wrote the script. It's animation director was Kenji Kamiyama, who went on to head Ghost in the Shell: Stan Alone Complex and 2nd Gig. A story about an alt. Japan occupied by Germany post WWII, centered around the violent strife between the Public Safety Police and anti-government terrorists.

For the majority of this movie, I wasn't feeling it. Aside from the animation, which is the same high quality as Ghost in the Shell, it's an incredibly slow and low-energy film that lets its atmosphere take over for bulk of the second act. By the third act, there is a twist and as it ratchets up to the end the true theme ramps up to a tragic conclusion. That brought the movie up in my eyes, but overall it really was too slow for me to totally love it. I prefer much faster paced, or at least visually engaging animated films like Akira, Perfect Blue or, of course, Ghost in the Shell. This was good, but not totally to my tastes.

El Topo/Possession/Braindead/Ninja Scroll: reviews forthcoming

The Guyver: I get that he's not a good actor (I really do), but it seems really odd that Mark Hamill couldn't get arrested in Hollywood for years after being in three of the most famous films of all time. He's about as good as you'd expect in this movie, which puts him behind David Gale and Michael Berryman on the list of quality actors in this film. Still, he's ahead of Jimmy Walker,, but that's not saying much. The costumes and character design is fucking great though. The movie's a total fucking mess though.

Features: 30

Shorts: 42

Documentaries: 2

Rewatches:

Saying Mark Hamill isn't a good actor reeks of contemporary online drive-by hot takes-ism. Sure, he might have had his weaknesses like choice scenes in the original SW trilogy, but he's done enough since then that send question marks coming out of my head whenever someone says that.

22 hours ago, Donomark said:

Saying Mark Hamill isn't a good actor reeks of contemporary online drive-by hot takes-ism. Sure, he might have had his weaknesses like choice scenes in the original SW trilogy, but he's done enough since then that send question marks coming out of my head whenever someone says that.

I have yet to see a Hamill role that's better than passable. I've never thought he's been good. Like, before I had the internet. Ha!

Spider-Man: Homecoming: this was fun. I had some issues with the story and, yeah, the WHOLE movie is in the trailer. But they got Spider-Man right, and FINALLY really good look at the deeper villains in the archives. I thought this was probably the movie with the best display of powers in the Marvel Studios canon. Really good in that way. Lots of night shots and actual lighting at times to set it apart from the telenovela style that marvel seems to be dead set on adhering to on their earthbound films. And Keaton: finally a decent villain. Not great, but I'll watch him do anything. Wish they'd given Woodbine a little more to do.

Features: 31

Documentaries: 2

Rewatches:

3 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

I will always admire Troma for their willingness to stick to a joke once they start it.

Boy do they ever. The first volume of this was probably the best Troma film ever. At least top 3. This was a little rough, but I have hopes that they'll do a super-edit combining them both, which is probably the best way to go, getting rid of all the recap stuff. The leads are great. Best actors in a Troma film ever.

I can't really talk about it as it's not yet released and film fest stuff, but I love that Lloyd cast his wife and she is basically ordering him around on how he has to make the movies less obscene. Which is great, because she runs the New York State Governor's Office for Motion Picture and Television Development.

Tales of Masked Men: on one hand, a pretty standard and basic documentary on Mexican wrestling. On the other, some of the very early history was interesting and the entire Mascarita Sagrada segment was great.

Features: 33

Documentaries: 3

Rewatches:

For the record, probably not hitting 200 this year which is just fine with me.

Scooby Doo & Batman: The Brave and the Bold: Kinda talked about in on Episode 1000 for a hot minute but I really liked it.

Ghostbusters (1984): So, I love this movie. I've seen it so many times and it'll never stop being wonderful.

Films: 12
Straight to DVD: 1

Sing Street: watched this with my sons. They've been jamming to the soundtrack for the better part of the year, so i figured why not. They loved it. I do too. It's damn near perfect.

Features: 34

Documentaries: 3

Rewatches:

The Love Witch: An awesome film by director Anna Biller about a murderous witch who uses sex magic to make men fall for her, then immediately gets sick of them and does them in. It's shot on 35mm and has a deliberately old-school, 60's/early 70's look to it in both visuals and tone. Everything about it feels like an artifact from a bygone era of film; it's the biggest and best throwback since Black Dynamite. Samantha Robinson gives an utterly hypnotic performance that oozes malice and conviction. There's not an ounce of sincerity in her character in any scene of the film, and she has this perpetual look in her eyes that gives the impression she's just itching to cannibalize whoever is in front of her. But while the film definitely has an intended camp factor to it, it's central theme focuses on gender roles and the power dynamic between men and women in relationships, in a way that's similar to Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Have @Dreador @Koete seen this movie yet? It's right up their wheelhouse. Just...damn.

1 hour ago, Donomark said:

The Love Witch: An awesome film by director Anna Biller about a murderous witch who uses sex magic to make men fall for her, then immediately gets sick of them and does them in. It's shot on 35mm and has a deliberately old-school, 60's/early 70's look to it in both visuals and tone. Everything about it feels like an artifact from a bygone era of film; it's the biggest and best throwback since Black Dynamite. Samantha Robinson gives an utterly hypnotic performance that oozes malice and conviction. There's not an ounce of sincerity in her character in any scene of the film, and she has this perpetual look in her eyes that gives the impression she's just itching to cannibalize whoever is in front of her. But while the film definitely has an intended camp factor to it, it's central theme focuses on gender roles and the power dynamic between men and women in relationships, in a way that's similar to Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Have @Dreador @Koete seen this movie yet? It's right up their wheelhouse. Just...damn.

It's really great. Robinson is completely entrancing and the film just looks like bubble gum. It's fantastic.