Missy

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, You Know Who said:

I also saw Se7en for the first time recently in light of Pandy bringing it up on LAS. All I’ll add is that it would cause such a shitstorm if released today for the fridging of Gwyneth Paltrow’s character.

If released today, I think Spacey being in it would be the bugbear.

The Avengers: Alright. Still not that great.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Still one of the best Marvel Films.

Avengers: Age of Ultron: Still one of the worst Marvel films.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Beginnings: and  Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Eternal: Showed to a friend for the first time. A pretty good breakdown of the series.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion: When deciding if we were going to watch it, I summed it up as, "Do you want the good ending or the true ending?" As an end, it fits though I do kind of wish for a new movie now.

Films: 33
Straight to DVD: 1

For me, a big part is the Natasha stuff but it's also entire parts of the film exist just to set up further movies. That's an easy 15-20 minutes worth of fat that could have been cut and it would have made for a better film. I'll admit, most of the stuff with Hawkeye works (and the "Language" running gag) but it's almost too little to factor into a higher enjoyment of the film. It also doesn't help that you can feel how aggravated Whedon is with the entire affair at this point.

There's also how it ignores the ending of Iron Man 3, a sign of the producers' lack of ambition in actually exploring the narrative possibilities of the cinematic universe concept. There's how awful Ultron is, James Spader reduced to already tired Downey Jr. schtick and another villain that can't be treated seriously because treated superheroes any way other than with internet irony is absurd. Quicksilver reveals both Whedon's creative limitations as a director (in comparison to Singer's use of the same character) and the hypocrisy of the films reactionary bits to Man of Steel (in making such a show about no civilian casualties and then having Quicksilver get riddled with bullets in front of a child). 

9 hours ago, Koete said:

There's also how it ignores the ending of Iron Man 3, a sign of the producers' lack of ambition in actually exploring the narrative possibilities of the cinematic universe concept. There's how awful Ultron is, James Spader reduced to already tired Downey Jr. schtick and another villain that can't be treated seriously because treated superheroes any way other than with internet irony is absurd. Quicksilver reveals both Whedon's creative limitations as a director (in comparison to Singer's use of the same character) and the hypocrisy of the films reactionary bits to Man of Steel (in making such a show about no civilian casualties and then having Quicksilver get riddled with bullets in front of a child). 

To each their own, but aside from the Natasha stuff (which personally I felt was clumsy more than screamingly offensive) and the admittedly puzzling Thor scene, the film has a lot of fun stuff in it. It's way more of an Avengers film than the first one, which - even though it's an origin story - doesn't have them together until the last act.

I really, really like Spader as Ultron. He's not nearly as gaggy as people go on about IMO. His first scene at the party is really creepy, the revelation of his plan found out by Wanda is threatening, and he has one of the best MCU villain monologues ever in the third act. Is there too much humor with him? Maybe, but A) there's a genuine reason for that, and B) hardly any of it is undercut by a silly joke.

Some other bits I like are more fanboyish than anything (the Roy Thomas band, the addition of Vision and the Maximoff twins, the inclusion of War Machine) but on the whole it really feels like a Marvel comic story. On a technical level it's not the best, but there is a lot to like, it has solid action scenes, and - except for Thor - has lots of character development for everyone. It's in my top 5 of the MCU and I ain't got no shame about it. 

25 minutes ago, slothian said:

Also, Pinocchio.

Which is a classic of western animation and the most frightening Disney film yet made. And lest you suggest that Ultron liking it undermines his villainy, do remember that your favorite Master likes the Teletubbies.

44 minutes ago, You Know Who said:

Which is a classic of western animation

Agreed.

and the most frightening Disney film yet made.

Ha! Nope.

And lest you suggest that Ultron liking it undermines his villainy, do remember that your favorite Master likes the Teletubbies.

Erm, ok.......

I'll readily admit that the creepy, twisted version of 'I've got no strings' in the trailers to tease a powerful, masterless threat freaked me out. 

When the film actually came out, Ultron was as worrying as the aforementioned Teletubbies. 

12 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

Is this the Space Western that Full Moon put out years ago or the Tom Cruise movie?

I think you already know the answer to that question.

Before I wake: review forthcoming

Features: 54

Shorts: 42

Documentaries: 1

Rewatches:

Deadpool: rewatched this with my sons and appreciate it even more. As an origin story it is supremely good. The 4th wall-breaking helps and the staggered narrative approach really adds to the impact of the film. It's funny as fuck and really violent, but it still has a lot of heart. Can't wait for the sequel.

Avengers Infinity War: thoughts posted in the thread as well as the review in this week's episode. And probably later on in the thread.

Features: 56

Rewatches:

Terminator 2: Judgement Day: seeing it today, the seams are pretty visible. This was EARLY digital effects. Much of it is fantastic, but the parts where T-1000 is all liquid metal looks pretty rough. Also, the stunt where Arnie drives the motorcycle off the bridge to land on the riverbed below is seamless because they added Arnie digitally afterwards. It's pretty obvious in HD on Netflix. Shitty audio encoding kind of ruined the experience as well. Overall though: a really great sequel. The hero form the first film is in a mental institution and the villain becomes the hero. Pretty incredible Linda Hamilton is amazing and Joe Morton gives what has to be a Top 10 all-time movie death. Furlong is decent throughout, but his vocal overacting is even more obvious when the audio is skewed. Makes it feel like anime. My sons enjoyed it for the most part as well.

Features: 57

Rewatches:

It's weird, over the years I've come to dislike T2 quite a bit. Not sure why. That said, Dyson's death always gets me. From his labored breathing to his warning to the cops, you know he's not ready for death and that he's not a killer, but he knows Sarah and the Terminator are right so this has to be the way it is. So much emotion.

41 minutes ago, The Master said:

It's weird, over the years I've come to dislike T2 quite a bit. Not sure why. That said, Dyson's death always gets me. From his labored breathing to his warning to the cops, you know he's not ready for death and that he's not a killer, but he knows Sarah and the Terminator are right so this has to be the way it is. So much emotion.

Edward Furlong, probably.