Missy

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 15:17 To Paris

What a terrible movie for such an interesting story. It is so boring. These guys stopped a terrorist on a train in France, but that is only about five minutes of the movie. The biggest problem is that they played themselves, and they are terrible. It felt like I was watching someone's vacation video half the time. Except for this one event, they lived boring lives that weren't worth putting in the movie. Clint Eastwood directed it, and he tried to cram in some Christian propaganda for no reason so it felt like I was watching one of those God's Not Dead movies. When the mom said "My God is bigger than your statistics" I almost turned it off. 

Deadpool 2: a little bit scatterbrained - though I guess that makes sense - but still a really fun time at the movies. REALLY violent. Some nice surprises as far as character appearances, but real surprises as far as the amount of screen time for advertised character appearances...if that makes sense. Never did I think I would see a comics accurate depiction of Cable in a  film and Brolin was fucking incredible as that character. Script, performance and tone-wise it was all perfect handling of that character in this universe. I REALLY look forward to the X-Force movie.

30 For 30: Nature Boy: this was a rematch, but I'm pretty sure the first watch happened last year. Still great. The whole Reid/Ashley thing kills me still. Crying like a baby. Again, crushing hard on Ashley.

Features: 62

Shorts: 42

Documentaries: 3

Rewatches:

12 hours ago, JackFetch said:

The 15:17 To Paris

What a terrible movie for such an interesting story. It is so boring. These guys stopped a terrorist on a train in France, but that is only about five minutes of the movie. The biggest problem is that they played themselves, and they are terrible. It felt like I was watching someone's vacation video half the time. Except for this one event, they lived boring lives that weren't worth putting in the movie. Clint Eastwood directed it, and he tried to cram in some Christian propaganda for no reason so it felt like I was watching one of those God's Not Dead movies. When the mom said "My God is bigger than your statistics" I almost turned it off. 

It was always a risk casting the actual guys involved. I mean, good on them and if I were in the same position, I'd have done the same thing (i.e. taking the film deal - I'm probably far too cowardly to actually tackle a suicide bomber), but a filmmaker of Eastwood's ilk should know better.

13 hours ago, Dread said:

Deadpool 2: a little bit scatterbrained - though I guess that makes sense - but still a really fun time at the movies. REALLY violent. Some nice surprises as far as character appearances, but real surprises as far as the amount of screen time for advertised character appearances...if that makes sense. Never did I think I would see a comics accurate depiction of Cable in a  film and Brolin was fucking incredible as that character. Script, performance and tone-wise it was all perfect handling of that character in this universe. I REALLY look forward to the X-Force movie.

Also, it's only a quick shot, but I swore that when you see Vanisher for a second that it's

Brad Pitt

and I was right.

Uncle Buck: probably a top 3 John Hughes film. I watched this probably 50 times as a kid. I can still recite Macaulay Culkin's questions scene and my kids freaked out when I did. Totally crushed on the girl in this one and I had great taste as a 9 year old. 

93c35e8c04e2bc9d4f8b1056530aa661.jpg

Features: 63

Documentaries: 3

Rewatches:

Solo: Fun. Not great. Not even sure if it's good. But it kept me relatively entertained for it's far-too-long running time, and Donald Glover doesn't need another plug from me, but yeah, he's easily the best thing here.

LA Confidential: Starring Guy Pierce, Russel Crowe, Kevin Spacey and Kim Basinger.

I liked this film. The performances were good, the plot was intriguing, the period setting made it interesting, and the detective story made in entertaining. Upon learning that this has a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes, got a 4/4 from Roger Ebert and is seen as "Culturally or Historically Significant" by the Library of Congress, I try and think back to what was so awe-inspiring about it. I'm not going to go back on my praise. It's an enjoyable movie. But, (and this is probably - like Boogie Nights - a product of my age where I had to be there when this first came out) it wasn't too much beyond a period noir film. Was it the police corruption angle? Was it the invoking of 1950s celebrities? I dunno. I did think the soundtrack and use of light-hearted crooner music while dark moments were happening wore out its welcome pretty early on. That just got old by the second or third time it happened. And I don't dislike Kim Basinger as much as others might on this website, but for a performance which netted her an Oscar, I thought she was ...fine. No more'n that, really. I think she gave a better performance in 8 Mile.

I dug this movie, but unlike Alien, The Thing or even Fight Club, I'm not really with the hype surrounding it.

CM Punk: The Best in the World: watched this feature length doc on the DVD set Duane sent me because I'd never seen a CM Punk match and really enjoyed it. Some of it was schmaltzy WWE production, but there was some rawness to it which I appreciated. I didn't expect so much ROH footage, which was interesting.

Features: 63

Documentaries: 4

Rewatches:

On 5/27/2018 at 7:16 AM, The Master said:

Uncle Buck is truly an overlooked John Hughes gem. For me, it's his top film.

I would still put Planes, Trains and Automobiles as the top by a huge margin, but Uncle Buck is fucking great and undeservingly forgotten when his legacy is discussed. Speaking of...

The Great Outdoors: a John Hughes script that is just pure dumb fun. It is still pretty smart being both a youth romance film as well as an adult-oriented family comedy. Solid. John Candy is amazing here, but Dan Ackroyd really steals the show. I think that was the point. Annette Benning was a fucking fox, by the way. That's it.

Cargo/The Blob (1988): reviews forthcoming

Features: 66

Documentaries: 4

Rewatches:

The Incredibles: This is one of my top favorite movies of all time. It's...um, incredible.

Beyond the swimming in the superhero genre and nailing the thrill of the best comic book pulp, the characters are wonderfully realized. Brad Bird's terrific dialogue married with top-notch, naturalistic voice acting makes this approach Watchmen in terms of vivid, evocative world building. Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl are both funny, stubborn, sensitive, clever and fiercely protective of their kids without any of those characteristics being informed by their past as superheroes. The animation and especially the body language is peerless. The action scenes are fast-paced and inventive. The comedy is rarely gag-driven with the exception of Edna Mode, who is hilarious. 

This movie also takes down toxic masculinity is a few scenes which if made today wouldn't be able to help but feel like overt commentary. But nearly fifteen years ago, the scenes of Mirage fuming at Syndrome's definition of strength and Bob's breakdown before the final battle go far in making this timeless, and these characters' nuance outweigh their recognizable archetypes. 

Kill Bill Vol. 1: I was torn on watching this because of everything Uma went through during it's making but, I mean, its a good action movie.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: I needed something to watch after a long car ride and this is something that was good for unwinding.

Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince: While it's probably one of the weakest in the series, when viewed as a take-off of Teenage Prep School Comedies, it is great as homage.

The Lego Batman Movie: Will Arnett makes this thing so wonderful!

The Incredibles: Wanted to watch it in prep for the sequel. Sooooo good!

Films: 43
Repeats: 1
Made For TV: 1
Straight to DVD: 1

Went to see Upgrade. Didn't know much going in just that is was supposed to be good and it wasn't doing great at the box office. I was in the theater with two other guys. The movie is quite great and I loved the reveal at the end.

I also watched a Korean movie called Along With the Gods. I loved it. I checked rotten tomatoes and while there aren't many reviews I guess because it is a foreign film the reviews weren't great, but all I know is I spent like the last half hour of the thing sobbing.

The Incredibles 2:

It's not as good as the first one. Not even close.

That's not to say it's in any way bad or unenjoyable. This is a fun movie. The animation is terrific, the action is just as good as its predecessor if not better, and most everything lands in terms of comedy. The thing that was in my head from almost the beginning was how fast the film seemed to be moving compared to the first one, where there were plenty of moments that were slow, steady, and character building. This is a continuation for the characters, but its plot isn't one that wholly justifies it being a sequel. It's decent, the gags are fun. It feels more like a traditional Disney/Pixar film whereas the first one really felt like it's own thing. There are gags like anthropomorphic animals and stuff, where I didn't think that was possible in the universe that was set up. My favorite scenes were everything involving Elastigirl fighting crime. She's fantastic, and I'd watch a film series about her any day. That's when the film is at its best, and it continues the imaginative and uncompromising creativity with the superhero genre that the first movie established. It's also when the movie is at its darkest, tonally. But the first film was generally dark. The gags in this come off more as simply gags, and less necessary for the overall plot. Edna Mode's two scenes are practically fanservice, whereas in the first film you couldn't have the same movie without her.

I think the 14 years between films really hurt it. Craig Nelson and Holly Hunter are audibly older, and Bob's often tired energy feels like an in-story compromise to justify Nelson's age in his voice. It's not as bad as Adam West in those animated Batman movies, though. But this wasn't worth almost 20 years of waiting. It is good, and in no way bad. My expectations were measured, so I'm not disappointed. But the first one was great, so this doesn't hold a candle to it.