Every Film You've Watched in 2018

Missy

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Death of Superman: This might be my favorite Superman movie. It has a leisurely pace and is a terrific look at the character's world and cast in an appreciable way that hasn't been done so successfully since the animated series. Much of this feels like the animated series, with a mix of the DC DTV continuity to give it more resonant heft. (I gotta say these James Tucker movies keep hitting high bars ever since they gradually rose in quality starting with the first Damian movies. They've been consistently better than the Bruce Timm-produced outputs since JLA vs. Titans.) The action is awesome, and the fact that the classic JLA are fighting Doomsday really works when brought to life, instead of jobbing them as bad as the 90s JLA were (rightfully) jobbed. Bring on Reign of Superman.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: About as enjoyable as the first, and maybe even more of a pleasant film with likable characters. Alternatively and despite the efforts of the cast and crew, this is probably the least effort put into an MCU film. There's a real sense that this film was made to fill space, as the Wasp could've been cooler, and there could've been cooler things done with the shrinking/growing powers moreso than gags. Again, it's in no way bad. There's real emotion in the Janet Van Dyne scenes. But beyond the efforts of the actors, the heart's really not in this one.

14 hours ago, Donomark said:

Ant-Man and the Wasp: About as enjoyable as the first, and maybe even more of a pleasant film with likable characters. Alternatively and despite the efforts of the cast and crew, this is probably the least effort put into an MCU film. There's a real sense that this film was made to fill space, as the Wasp could've been cooler, and there could've been cooler things done with the shrinking/growing powers moreso than gags. Again, it's in no way bad. There's real emotion in the Janet Van Dyne scenes. But beyond the efforts of the actors, the heart's really not in this one.

giphy.gif

I have not been keeping up with this so I probably forgot a few movies...

Italian Spider-Man: How have I not seen this yet?

Teen Titans vs Justice League: It was alright but lives or dies depending on your feeling on Damien Wayne. If you already like him, you'll like this. If you already dislike him, nothing will change any of this.

Scream: Still probably one of my favorite movies of all time. I'll have more to say on this in a couple of months.

Showgirls: Normally I wouldn't have repeated this one but I had a friend that I promised we'd watch this together next time we got together last year.

Mamma Mia: Insane and I'm still not totally sure how I feel.

Flash Gordon: I absolutely love this movie.

Films: 54
Repeats: 3
MST3k/Rifftrax Assisted: 2
Made For TV: 1
Documentaries: 1
Straight to DVD: 2

Sorry to Bother You: A film that's not exactly a bait-and-switch from the trailers, but is a rare instance these days of the trailers truly hiding a deeper, darker plot for maximum effectiveness. Lakeith Stanfield, Tessa Thompson, Steven Yuen and Armie Hammer are all terrific, and the third act is jaw dropping. One of the least predictable movies I've seen in I don't know when.

The Greatest Showman: This is a pretty decent movie. I'm not a big musical guy (shocking, I know) but this is one of the few where the music wasn't fuckdiculously painful to listen to. The cast does a pretty remarkable job. Yeah, Barnum was a horrible person (beyond today's standards) and this film glosses over it horribly. However, the number with Hugh Jackman and Zac Efron in the bar was probably my favourite set-piece, especially with my headcanon that this is basically a gay version of Looper.

Isle of Dogs: hands down the leader in my best films of 2018 list thus far. Truly remarkable. Anderson kills it every time when he goes fantastical. Mr. Fox, Zissou and this one. He knows what he's doing when he goes pulp or adventure every time. Brilliant film. Incredible animation. Heartbreaking filmmaking.

Features: 104

Shorts: 42

Documentaries: 6

Rewatches:

Black Kklansman: A strong return to form from Spike Lee that was much harder to sit through than I anticipated, with an ending that left the entire theater utterly silent. The last thing Lee is as a director is subtle, but this is a controlled, intentional story he's telling, and a prescient one at that.

The Last Waltz: got drunk with a friend and started talking about Levon Helm (like you do) and just decided to watch The Last Waltz at 11 PM. Fucking brilliant. Best musical performance ever captured on film. The interview segments and inserted musical interludes all add up to one of the most beautiful meditations on American music ever. Arguably Scorsese's best film.

The Prophecy: review forthcoming

Features: 105

Documentaries: 7

Rewatches:

They Live: watched this last night because Cade did some research on his favourite clothing brand (OBEY) and discovered the influence behind it. Bot boys dug it. Man, that fight with Keith David really has three acts and goes on forever, but is never not entertaining. What a fun fucking movie. Brilliant, vein-tapping shit.

Batman Begins: ways more cartoonish than I remember. Michael Caine and Gary Oldman really centre this movie. Without them, I'm not sure it would be considered that different than the prior run of Batman films. Gotham looks weird. Like the slums of Hong Kong at times and New York at others. Then, Wayne Manor is set in the Highlands of Scotland. It's all too chaotic. The editing is pretty awful too. The third act is a real mess with some terrible storytelling. R'as's motivations aren't clear, but Neeson is fucking awesome. Katie Holmes got a raw deal here. Her character was shit in the script and she did the best with what she got. A real mixed bag. Terrible script. Some good photography and some great performances help overlook the lacking fight scenes and the ridiculous story. Sad that this series really only got going with the second film and then immediately went off a cliff with the third.

Hunter: feature for the festival

The Dark Knight: still the best. Untouchable. Best villain, best film, best supporting cast, best action, best script, best cinematography. Period. It's not even close.

The Dark Knight Rises: first rewatch since seeing it in the theatre. Some unsubtle, but welcome, audio mixing has made Bane audible in 5.1 on Blu Ray, but he's still a terrible villain. Every time Marion Cotilliard is on screen, she's an incredible angel reminding us that this could be really good if only she had more than like 4 minutes of screen time. Let's talk screen time. This is EASILY half an hour too long. Still the worst of the three Nolan Bat-films, but not by as much of a margin I used to hold it at. That's only because I realized Batman Begins wasn't as good as I remembered it. Freeman, Caine and Oldman do their best. Bale's gruff voice passes into the ridiculous. This is a great study on how not to continue a series.

Features: 110

Documentaries: 7

Rewatches:

Amityville 3: The Evil Escapes: Wow. I know this was made for 3-D but god the effects are bad.

The Little Mermaid: I wanted to watch it for some reason. Pretty good. No wonder this was able to turn Disney around after the 80s.

The VVitch: I'm not sure what I think.

You Can't Kill Stephen King: That was shit.

Films: 59
Repeats: 3
MST3k/Rifftrax Assisted: 2
Made For TV: 1
Documentaries: 1
Straight to DVD: 2