• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, teenalphabro said:

What have I wrought. 

Sleepaway Camp: I don't really know how I feel about this film. 

Films Watched: 72

I have a very odd affinity for that series. Did you know of the twist before you went in? I find most people don't, due to it being a B- or C-tier 1980s slasher.

3 hours ago, The Master said:

I have a very odd affinity for that series. Did you know of the twist before you went in? I find most people don't, due to it being a B- or C-tier 1980s slasher.

I knew of it, and that's what pushed me to watch it in the first place. And, well, I still don't really know how I feel about it now. It's effective, if nothing else. 

On 11/20/2018 at 10:33 AM, The Master said:

I need to make some time to finally see that. Post-True Lies, I have a sizable Arnold blind spot. Hell, I've missed a few of his bigger ones from the 1980s as well: both Conans, Red Sonja, Raw Deal, and Red Heat.

Yeah I've not seen a lot of his 90s stuff aside from Jingle All the Way and True Lies. Collateral Damage, the 6th Day, Twins, and Junior I've not seen, in addition to Raw Deal and Red Heat.

Creed II: Very solid sequel. This is every bit a Rocky film in that it's more focused on character and emotion rather than just the boxing, making it less shallow than Rocky IV (which don't get me wrong, that's my favorite of the franchise). It's not an unpredictable film and the second act does drag, but thematically it's super-sound.

Spoiler

Two things I wish: 1) They never reference the fact that Drago in Rocky IV was doped up on f'ing Venom and was super-humanly strong when he killed Apollo. I wished that were referenced as part of his post-Rocky fight downfall, like maybe the Russian Primer disowned him even though they were the ones financing his steroidal use. 2) Ivan Drago is a moderately thoughtful individual in this movie, but I wished we got his perspective on killing a guy in the ring. I suppose "If he dies, he dies" is pretty self-explanatory, but I was hoping for some reflection. The Dragos in general it felt like there was more on the cutting room floor with them.

But I liked the ending, especially with Rocky reconciling with Rocky Jr. I was fine with how they seemingly wrote him off in the first Creed, but was puzzled why they established that the two were estranged in this film, since they were on good terms in Rocky Balboa. So I was very pleased when we saw Milo Ventamigla come back at the very end.

This should probably be the final word on these characters for the time being. They could conceivably do a sequel, but it feels as though they used up the total expenses on audiences empathy budgets with Adonis's character. This is a good place to end the series.

Harry Potter (All of Them): SyFy was marathoning them during Thanksgiving. It only seemed natural to watch while my stomach was settling. Also, was not expecting to see the extended editions on tv.

Ocean's 8: Second to Ocean's 11 in the series but still a bloody wonderful heist movie. I want to see this cast do another movie.

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them: Because if we're going to watch all the Potter films, might as well watch this as well.

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls: Friendship Games: Long title. It's okay, nothing special.

Murder on the Orient Express: It's a great mystery, a great cast, and I was kept guessing. Figured out the solution before the reveal but still good.

Scooby Doo: Wrestlemania Mystery: Still weird but fun.

Films: 98
Repeats: 7
MST3k/Rifftrax Assisted: 3
Made For TV: 3
Documentaries: 1
Straight to DVD: 7

10 minutes ago, dc20willsave said:

Harry Potter (All of Them): SyFy was marathoning them during Thanksgiving. It only seemed natural to watch while my stomach was settling. Also, was not expecting to see the extended editions on tv.

High praise indeed!

Were they any good? Also, did they include the Redmayne films?

Sniper Corpse/The Isle/Camp Death III in 2D: features for the festival

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation: because getting wasted with a friend always ends with us watching a movie at 11:30 or 12. You know, I can conservatively say I've seen this more than 30 times. Yet, you can still find new little mini-jokes that you've never noticed before. Solid.  

Features: 164

Shorts: 43

Documentaries: 12

Rewatches:

Basic Instinct: I co-sign with Roger Ebert's assessment of the film in that it's definitely engaging while you're watching it, but once it's done you come to find out that nothing made sense. It's a blatant film noir pulp story, but too unbelievable to get fully engrossed in. Michael Douglas's character rapes Jeanne Tripplehorn and nobody cares, not even her. The much-discussed homophobic qualities in the writing are 100% true. There's nothing really pleasant to get from this film, besides wank material.

Home Alone: It's my nostalgia.

Home Alone 4: Watched twice for a future review.

Santa Claus: No, Lupita! Probably my favorite of all the MST3k Christmas episodes.

Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny: Rifftrax, only way to watch this.

A Talking Cat?!?: With Rifftrax?!?

Films: 100
Repeats: 7
MST3k/Rifftrax Assisted: 6
Made For TV: 3
Documentaries: 1
Straight to DVD: 7