Every Film You've Watched in 2018

Missy

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shit...I haven't kept track for a couple days and I've watched a lot of movies. I'll try to remember them all.

House II: Second Storey/House III: The Horror Show/Silent Hill: reviews forthcoming, some sooner than others.

Liar, Liar: this movie has the perfect convergence of my most intense 90s crushes: Jennifer Tilly, Maura Tierney and Krista Allen. It's funny and solid. 

The Truman Show: fuck is this ever a brilliant fucking movie? Yes, it is. Perfect performances from Carrey and Ed Harris. Zero Oscars nominations for this one, and it deserved a lot of them.

I think that's all of them...

Features: 39

Shorts: 42

Documentaries: 4

Rewatches:

On 3/10/2018 at 9:53 PM, teenalphabro said:

Logan: Probably the best X-Man movie that's ever been made.

I would go so far as to say the X-franchise will never top Logan. While I love Deadpool, it lacks the heart of Logan.

7 hours ago, Dread said:

The Truman Show: fuck is this ever a brilliant fucking movie? Yes, it is. Perfect performances from Carrey and Ed Harris. Zero Oscars nominations for this one, and it deserved a lot of them.

*looks around* I've never seen it. *runs away*

House IV: review coming

Jim & Andy The Great Beyond: Somewhere between The Truman Show and Man on the Moon, Jim Carrey's head went so far up his own ass that I believe he may have projected outward and found total enlightenment. Anyway, this was really good.

Features: 40

Documentaries: 1

Rewatches:

On 3/12/2018 at 6:20 AM, Dread said:

*looks around* I've never seen it. *runs away*

dJKhiDp.jpg

dJKhiDp.jpg

Kill Switch: A terrible movie written by and starring Steven Segal doing a dumb Memphis accent. The action is terribly edited with insane amounts of repetition, having people get punched, thrown and fall out windows between 12 and 3 dozen times (not fucking kidding). Comfortably misogynist, hard to follow, badly acted with a bizarre ending involving a secret family reveal at the last minute. Had me laughing, but naw. Fuck this movie.

Exit Wounds: A film that is OBVIOUSLY from 2001. Anthony Anderson, Eva Mendes and DMX all feature, as well as cool cars and bald black guys with shades. It's also a Steven Segal film, so there's the requisite over the top action (he shoots a helicopter to death and hurls a sumo-sized bouncer with on hand) and cheesy moments. The final "reveal" is laughably cliche'd and throwaway. But this film is at war with itself for trying to be both a genuine police thriller and a goofy Segal violence-fest. It has a whole host of actors dripping with charisma, working every scene with verve and skill that leaves you confused. Isaiah Washington, Jill Hennessy, Bill Duke, Bruce McGill and Michael Jai White all keep you invested, not that the script is good but that their so-much-better-than-this-ness has you waiting for the other shoe to drop and it never does, really. MJW in particular knows exactly what kind of movie he's in and plays it with the precise tone of performance. It's a movie that could've been more enjoyable if it were worse, but could also have been pretty good if it were better and didn't have Segal, who is an entertaining egotistical dumbass but a black hole of charisma. 

Tomb Raider - Decent movie. The action scenes were well-done, I really felt some of the hits. Her first kill was intense. Alicia Vikander is perfect, she embodies all of the core personality of Lara in a believable way. Would really like to see more of her version going forward. Everybody else is kinda eh. The performances were decent but the writing wasn't there. I liked that they combined the story of the first reboot game with elements from the second, and threw in some twists for those familiar with those. I can see myself watching this again, maybe when it comes out on Blu-Ray.

Ghostbusters 2: Not the best sequel but still an utterly fun movie!

Men In Black: It feels so much like a Tim Burton movie without being one. A great combination of humor and action.

Clue: I can quote nearly the entire movie from memory.

Moulin Rouge: It's a movie that gets a lot of clack. It's biggest crime is being merely okay.

Moonstruck: Cher is awesome and I'll cut any bitch who fights me on that.

I Give It a Year: I can watch a good or bad movie to my heart's content. The biggest crime any movie can make is being mediocre. This film is okay. I barely laughed until the last 5 minutes, I mostly just felt uncomfortable or bored by it.

Girls Just Want To Have Fun: I somehow didn't see this until yesterday. I am terrible at catching up on some of the camp classics of gay culture.

Films: 19
Straight to DVD: 1

Shame: Directed by Steve McQueen, starring Michael Fassbender as a man suffering from sex-addiction and Carey Mulligan as his lounge singing sister who's forced to stay with him. I'd been wanting to see this movie for a long time. Now that I've watched it, it's okay. The performances are all good, the themes are all there. I just wasn't very affected by it.

54 minutes ago, teenalphabro said:

Phantom of the Paradise: This is one of the most 'me' movies I've ever seen. 

Films Watched: 25

Rock music, horror pastiches and Beef?

I, too, love Phantom of the Paradise and have Des to thank for it.

Watched Chinatown for the first time yesterday and I'm still mulling it over. It's impressive but there's a LOT to take in and I'm a bit ho-hum about the ending.

Pretty sure that a second viewing will assist with how I view it overall. And the Flickchart thread.

Weird...9 days since I've watched a movie? 

Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi: this is, by far, the most beautiful-looking SW film. It's sharp and beautiful on Blu Ray. It is also a mostly hollow, overly long experience. It's a film composed of moments and about a third of the moments are entertaining. Benicia Del Toro's character is the most interesting, but he's entirely expendable to the plot. What a mixed bag. Still probably the second best Star Wars film.

Features: 42

Documentaries: 1

Rewatches:

Pacific Rim Uprising: Man I am conflicted about this. When it gets the tone right, it gets it fucking right. But the first hour or so is real rough, and it doesn't really kick off for me until

Newt drifting with the Kaiju brain and being possessed by the Precursors is revealed and shit with the drones jumps off.

The cameraman has a dutch angle fetish which is frustrating, and the color and score felt super muted compared to the last one.

Also, real frustrated that they fridged Mako the way they did. That is some fucking bullshit.