Every Film You've Watched in 2018

Missy

American Pie: It's a 90s sex comedy. It hasn't aged the greatest and the Thomas Ian Nicholas character is all kinds of asshole who deserves the worst. But, other parts are still alright and I gave it kind of a giggle.

American Pie 2: I have some very vague nostalgia for this movie but it's far from great and has aged less well than the original. My main take-away is that High School friends suck. Oh, and Natasha Lyonne deserved better than this. Might have said the same of Eugene Levy if he didn't do all the sequels. Even the straight to dvd ones.

Films: 22
Straight to DVD: 1

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/25/2018 at 7:02 AM, slothian said:

Rock music, horror pastiches and Beef?

I, too, love Phantom of the Paradise and have Des to thank for it.

Which is funny because I don't particularly care for it.

Keanu: this popped up on Netflix and I was stoked to check it out. It wasn't as funny as I had hoped. The Will Forte role seemed wrong for me, but it helped provide for one of the legit funniest lines I've heard in a movie in a very long time. Key and Peele are perfect together and I adore Tiffany Haddish. That fucking cat has more charisma than most movie stars. Mixed bag, for sure, but definitely worth the watch.

Features: 43

Shorts: 42

Documentaries: 1

Rewatches:

On 3/28/2018 at 1:14 PM, Koete said:

The Rey/Kylo sections are among the best of Star Wars; the rest has thematic points but is absolutely pointless on a narrative level.

Cutting away from the throne room battle back and forth to the transport ship is unforgivable for me. What the fuck were they thinking?

Acrimony: Tyler Perry movie starring Taraji P. Henson that's not "I Can Do Bad All By Myself". This movie feels like it's from ten years ago. By now TPH has proved she's at least more versatile of an actress than Baby Boy might've shown, so why's she playing the ultimate TPH role from pre-Empire if there's nothing done with it? The result is a film with super-lame dialogue, scenes from other Tyler Perry movies (mainly courtroom scenes), and a plot which switches gears haflway through that has TPH go from protagonist to villain protagonist in a way which feels accidental rather than intended. This sucked.

A Quiet Place: Dystopian near-future suspense thriller starring John Krasinski and Emily Blunt as the parents in a four family until that must stay completely silent in order to survive. Cool world building with much of the film consisting of sign language. Solid viewing.

Black Panther: This came to town this week and I thought it might be nice to take the boys with my father-in-law. For the most part, I'm glad I did. It's one of the very few Marvel movies that earns its 2+ hour running time. The acting is wonderful and the script is sharp. The costumes and score are great. Wakanda is truly a Marvel, clearly the star of the film. Not only the best villain in the MCU, it has another great villain in Serkis' Klaue (not sure why they needed to change the spelling of his name when they have a guy they call Killmonger), and M'Baku is a fun breakout star. On the other hand, every time Black Panther is in costume and fighting, the CGI might as well be from 1994. It looks terrible. Jesus Christ! These movies cost like 200 million dollars. Can't they go to fucking Hong Kong and put some stuntmen in suits for the fights and then augment with CGI? Garbage. Especially when the fighting out of costume was impressive, adding African fighting styles to the usual hybrid movie martial arts. So, a bit of a mixed bag, but definitely one of Marvel's best.

Features: 45

Shorts: 42

Documentaries: 1

Rewatches:

Spice World: Could not be a more meta film.

Care Bears Movie II: A New Generation: Basically, The Care Bears vs The Devil. Also, Faust because sure.

Power Rangers: Been a year, still holds up.

Sailor Moon R: The Movie: Basically watched the old version of the dub. So many problems with the plot but its Sailor Moon so whatever.

Films: 27
Straight to DVD: 1

O (Othello): Starring Julia Stiles, Mekhi Phifer and Josh Hartnett: Review pending for the Shakespeare week.

A Thin Line Between Love and Hate: Co-written and directed by Martin Lawrence starring him, Lynn Whitfield (PHWAR), Regina King and Bobby Brown. What has to be a cliche'd story of a player crossing a bitter woman who falls for him, gets her heart broken and tries to kill him. Martin Lawrence's ego is all over this, in how he plays a lothario that goes around sloberring over women within the first five minutes, stalks Lynn Whitfield and acts like a hormone-driven teenager, yet the tension between him and his childhood friend Regina King is bizarrely sincere. This movie tries to be three parts comedy/romance/and thriller, but with Lawrence at the helm it does not work. He's too manic, immature and egregiously unsympathetic to care one whit what happens to him, and both Regina King and Lynn Whitfield deserved better. Whitfield herself is giving an excellent, A-1 star performance, exuding confidence, sexuality and terror whenever called for. She was terrific, and deserved more than to be saddled in a predictable and lazy script that built her character up more than it could pay her off.

Se7en: Starring Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt (I know the billing is reversed, but seriously, this is Freeman's movie).

Solid writing and directing with the familiar trope of the weary, older, retiring cop and the brash, young, hungry detective. It might be down to the actors, but as obvious as that set-up was, you don't care about it. Freeman in this movie is terrific, with how totally patient and controlled he is at every turn. The infamous ending which I actually wasn't spoiled on really drove home the theme of nihilism (which I don't usually go for, it's what keeps me from fully getting behind Logan, but I do love Evangelion) and was one of those endings that makes the thematic foreshadowing ripple in your mind. Kevin Spacey gives a great performance as usual, but as you might imagine, watching him is hard to do, especially when he's playing a creepy person.