• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, slothian said:

Edward Furlong, probably.

He's a bit... much, yeah. Really, though, I think it comes down to T2 being too sleek compared to the original. The Terminator is the perfect grimy, 1980s action / science fiction film.

1 minute ago, dc20willsave said:

I first saw the opening 5 minutes of T2 when I was 9. It was burnt into nightmares for years afterwards. That's how effective it is.

The opening looks a little like a higher budget Italian apocalypse film comparatively, but it's still effective.

Oh yeah, I've seen a ton of crazy ass Italian films. Fulci blows the opening out of the water. My parents weren't Italian Horror movie fans though (Mom really liked David Lynch though). I would hate to imagine how I would have turned out if I had seen The Beyond at 9. T2, Bambi, and that Chuckie poster falling on me when I was 5 screwed me up enough as it is.

If they do something with her that's more than a weirdo cameo, Zendaya could easily become the best MJ bar none.

Fight Club: I've seen this before years ago, but now I'm understanding it completely for the first time. This is a really good movie. The machismo mantras and the whole anti-capitalism thing isn't really worth taking to heart, but as a story and viewing experience, this was very entertaining. The fight between Narrator and Tyler near the end is the film at its zenith: violent, inventive, comedic and unpredictable. I'd be interested in reading the novel but as it stands as a cult movie, I think it holds up well.

I barely knew who Zendaya was a year ago. Now, I just hope they give her a giant part in the next Spider-Man along with a host of big roles. She was the only thing that got me through...

The Greatest Showman: It's a movie. A couple of the songs are good. So is Zendaya. That's the best I can say.

Avengers: Infinity War: I'm still not sure how I feel about this movie.

The Chipmunk Adventure: Loved it as a kid. Good for when I need to have something on in the background while I work on other stuff.

Films: 36
Straight to DVD: 1

Black Panther: Finally got around to seeing it, and. It's good. Not the greatest film of all time, but it's enjoyable. I think my biggest problem overall is just that I'm not a big fan of Ryan Coogler's directing style? Cause I tried watching Fruitvale Station and wasn't very impressed. But, overall, Black Panther was a highly enjoyable film. 

Films Watched: 37

The Open House: review forthcoming

Logan: watched this with my sons tonight. I had to kind of walk them through it, because it was pretty intense. This is the best superhero character film period. In fact, I think if you had a top 10 of Marvel character films, most of them would be X-Men themed. This is by far the best. Truly beautiful. Brilliantly acted. An impressive film, which is something you can't say about most comic book movies.

Features: 60

Shorts: 42

Documentaries: 1

Rewatches:

Deadpool 2: It's not as good as Deadpool 1 but it's still a fun movie.

Regular Show: The Movie: Regular Show is that show I didn't appreciate on Cartoon Network when it was originally airing that I love now. The movie is basically an extended episode.

Films: 37
Made For TV: 1
Straight to DVD: 1

3 hours ago, slothian said:

According to Wikipedia, The Worlds End - which I've just watched - gets generally 4 out of 5 stars. Even with Rosamund Pike involved and liking everyone else in it, I just don't see it.

The sci-fi metaphor is too on the nose and undercuts the drama they're going for. By the time it hit the big "defending the Earth" speech, it was grating. 

2 hours ago, Koete said:

The sci-fi metaphor is too on the nose and undercuts the drama they're going for. By the time it hit the big "defending the Earth" speech, it was grating. 

It's definitely the third best of the Coronetto Trilogy, but it is still a shitload of fun.

Deadpool 2: More of the same of the first one. It's fun, it's funny. It's the closest the X-Franchise gets to being like the X-Men comics, which makes these some of the best X-Men films. I think I liked the first one more, but this one didn't do anything wrong. 

Cargo: review forthcoming

Amanda Knox: after watching Evil Genius, I wanted another crime doc, but a one and done. This was solid. What a fucked up case. What a compelling woman at the centre of it. Good shit. Lots to unpack, but let's just say for now that Shepherd Smith is a scumbag. He has maybe three lines in archival footage in this doc and two of them are pure racist/sexist assholery. Then again, maybe he only has two lines.

Features: 61

Shorts: 42

Documentaries: 2

Rewatches:

On 5/23/2018 at 11:15 AM, Dread said:

Amanda Knox: after watching Evil Genius, I wanted another crime doc, but a one and done. This was solid. What a fucked up case. What a compelling woman at the centre of it. Good shit. Lots to unpack, but let's just say for now that Shepherd Smith is a scumbag. He has maybe three lines in archival footage in this doc and two of them are pure racist/sexist assholery. Then again, maybe he only has two lines.

Is that on Netflix?