Sign in to follow this  
S-T

Death Wish (2018)

I am curious to see what they do with this one.

The first Death Wish back in 1974 was a really good movie. (The literal Nazi that Bronson's Paul Kersey works with aside.) It is a slow descent into madness of a man who saw his family attacked. When  re-watched the 1974 version a few years ago what struck me is that all of his kills were technically self defense. He would go out of his way to attract muggers, and then kill them when they attack him so the kill is technically self-defense. Yeah, spoilers, but that movie is 44 years old.

The sequels were... problematic.

I'll be honest, I don't have high hopes for the 2018 remake. I hated that the 2018 trailer shows Paul Kersey found one of the men who attacked his wife. A huge plot point of the 1974 film is that Kersey never finds the men who murdered his wife and raped his daughter. (Who falls mute for years, by the way.) There doesn't seem to be any of the inner struggle and character development of the original. And Eli Roth's name pretty much erases any hopes I had.

On the podcast I co-host QUESTIONS: We Don't Have Answers, we discussed the new trailer and how gleefully race baiting it was. The old films are...racist as well, but this one looks like it just doesn't know any better when it should. The trailer shows Willis walking up to a black guy's house and shooting him in broad daylight on his own property, and it's presented like a Crowning Moment of Awesome. The movie can go fuck itself.