Episode 1000

RSS

This is it! After nearly 13 years worth of podcasting, Earth-2.net: The Show has finally hit its 1000th episode! In this 24-hour beast, you'll hear 22 segments covering all sorts of team-up and unexpected crossovers, as that's the theme of the show. Without everyone who's here today, as well as those who've come before, Earth-2.net and The Show wouldn't have come close to this milestone. So what's inside this monster?

- Intro by Mike (0:00:00-0:12:49)
- Birth of DC Comics' Multiverse by Dan and Mike (0:12:50-0:59:34)
- The Expendables by Donovan and Harrison (0:59:35-2:33:34)
- That's So Suite Life of Hannah Montana by Will and Skyler (2:33:35-3:29:31)
- Batman '66 Meets The Green Hornet by Dan and Mike (3:29:32-3:49:49)
- The A-Team's Body Slam by Kellen and Tom (3:49:50-5:06:18)
- Person, Place, and Thing: A Game by Shana and Mike (5:06:19-5:48:10)
- Freddy vs. Jason by Ian and Will (5:48:11-6:50:36)
- The Punisher Meets Archie by Mike (6:50:37-7:20:32)
- Metallica's S&M by Kellen and James (7:20:33-9:06:34)
- The connected Stephen King novels by Cole (9:06:35-10:13:14)
- Worlds Collide by Donovan and Christian (10:13:15-11:21:34)
- Nine micro segments by Will (11:21:35-11:57:35)
- The Incredible Hulk Returns by Dan and Mike (11:57:36-12:50:29)
- Kingdom Hearts and More by Hannah and Jim (12:50:30-13:55:57)
- Cartoon Crossovers by Dan and Will (13:55:58-15:27:51)
- The Adventures of Batman and Sherlock Holmes by Donovan, Chris, and Christian (15:27:52-17:09:21)
- Them Crooked Vultures by Pandy and Cole (17:09:22-17:49:42)
- Spider-Man and Batman: Disordered Minds by Donovan (17:49:43-19:40:09)
- The Universal Monster Extended Universe by Des and Chris (19:40:10-20:18:01)
- Star Trek / X-Men by Dan and Mike (20:18:02-21:06:38)
- King Kong vs Godzilla by Donovan and Harrison (21:06:39-22:36:15)
- Crisis on Infinite Earths by Dan and Mike (22:36:16-24:04:57)
- Outro by Mike (24:04:58-24:07:33)

[ 24:07:35 || 697.8 MB ]

My thoughts to date!

1) Sounds super interesting - would be interested in picking up the former.

2) This is one of those films that for me just seemed to exist and be either a joke or a reason to give some retro action stars a new gold-plated shark pool bar. It's interesting to actually hear an opinion.

3) I'll be honest - I was doubtful that two adults discussing Disney shows that I have no connection to would hold interest. I was mistaken - was a good listen!

4) Lol Green Hornet

5) I love how similar to ACFTCP this was - you guys have a great rapport

6) Great fun! Bring back FBOW with this as an extra little game :)

7) Don't be mean to my new buddy Cole! The film sounds stupid - I enjoyed your chat. Also: 

8) On paper (as it were) this sounds akin to having Wolverine guesting in an episode of the Care Bears but you've done a good job explaining why this is a good read.

9) Only ever heard the orchestral version of 'Nothing Else Matters' as it featured as a music video on the Kerrang! music channel but I'm curious to find out more. I will have to listen to this at some point.

10) Your love of King (and E2) comes across really well! I started reading The Shining and would now like to continue

11) Always a pleasure to hear you chaps

12) A smorgasbord! I loved Diddy Kong Racing and have seen Fortune Street being streamed.

13) Kinky

14) I dig how excited Hannah is for these games but it confirms my theory that the series seems fairly impenetrable for me at the moment.

15) I had no idea that Jay Sherman was from a different show - I assumed he was OC or a real guy who was Simpson'd into the show.

16) Batman saved the Queen!? From Moriarty!?!

17) I'm pleased with how this came together - cheers Cole!

Looking forward to the rest - congratulations all and God Bless Mike!

I'm only a few segments in.

1000.02: Saw this a few years ago on DVD. While I went in with high hopes, I left feeling ho-hum. If I recall, it was Des who noted seeing 1980s stars in modern-style quick-cut action movies is a bit jarring, and I agree.

1000.03: This was interesting, as I'm in the Pandy Position. While I'll never seek out the three-part crossover, you two did a great job talking it up, as well the various eras of The Disney Channel.

1000.05: My takeaway: How is it that Jesse Ventura has not murdered Hulk Hogan?

4 hours ago, Pan-dub said:

14) I dig how excited Hannah is for these games but it confirms my theory that the series seems fairly impenetrable for me at the moment.

Watch a drunk history of it basically, even as someone who’s been following the series I can’t tell what the hells happening anymore lol

I'm making my way slowly but surely.

Re. 1000.01: Very pleasant reviews. I agree that the Flash #123 story is better as it's less overwhelming.

1000.03: This is my first time hearing Skyler, and he was pretty good! I watched the Disney Original Movies, but by the time of That's So Raven and especially Hannah Montana, I was college aged, so this was interesting.

1000.04: Man, the Green Hornet theme kills! I've actually not heard Dan "give his thoughts on Kevin Smith" before, so I'd be interested to seek them out. The series may've been heavy lifted by Garman. I saw his tribute to Adam West after the latter's passing, and he seemed like a genuine friend to him, so I can see this getting taken over by him.

1000.05: This has been the biggest surprise so far. Absolutely hilarious. I was listening as I was closing the shop and laughed out loud several times. "Sting meets Robocop: Together At Last" slayed me.

My initial thoughts: 

Episode 0.01: It's an awesome way to kick off the proceedings. 

Episode 0.02: I don't listen to Questions, so this is probably a good backdoor pilot. Plus, the discussion is interesting. 

Episode 0.04: Hey, it's the Green Hornet.

Episode 0.05: . . . . . this shit actually happened?

Episode 0.07: 1) Damn you, Ackerman, and damn you, the inferior Wilson. 2) If I coulda, I woulda covered the movie too. 

Episode 0.08: I gotta read Archie vs The Punisher now. 

Episode 0.09: It was really cool listening to this one. 

Episode 0.10: I will be forever incredibly self-critical of myself, and this is no exception. 

Episode 0.13: Again: This happened?

Episode 0.15: It's impressive that half these cartoons even happened.

7 hours ago, Donomark said:

1000.04: Man, the Green Hornet theme kills! I've actually not heard Dan "give his thoughts on Kevin Smith" before, so I'd be interested to seek them out. The series may've been heavy lifted by Garman. I saw his tribute to Adam West after the latter's passing, and he seemed like a genuine friend to him, so I can see this getting taken over by him.

1000.05: This has been the biggest surprise so far. Absolutely hilarious. I was listening as I was closing the shop and laughed out loud several times. "Sting meets Robocop: Together At Last" slayed me.

The Green Hornet theme is soooooo badass.

If you haven't tried A Cure for the Common Podcast, with Kellen and Tom, please do. Each episode is amazing.

On 2/25/2018 at 3:15 AM, Donomark said:

I've actually not heard Dan "give his thoughts on Kevin Smith" before, so I'd be interested to seek them out.

Short version: he's a hack who's fundamentally incapable of working on a project without inflating it full of references to his past work so that his fanboys can point and remember that Mallrats was a thing once. He's more intetested in selling himself as a brand than in directing, insulated himself from any actual criticism and never made any effort to grow as a writer and has become, at best, a technically competent TV director. All of this is supremely frustrating, as Clerks was legitimately gamechanging.

8 hours ago, Dan said:

Short version: he's a hack who's fundamentally incapable of working on a project without inflating it full of references to his past work so that his fanboys can point and remember that Mallrats was a thing once. He's more intetested in selling himself as a brand than in directing, insulated himself from any actual criticism and never made any effort to grow as a writer and has become, at best, a technically competent TV director. All of this is supremely frustrating, as Clerks was legitimately gamechanging.

Whilst I don't begrudge you your correct opinion, he was on Twitter 12 hours ago stating he was recovering from a massive heart attack. 

So I don't feel comfortable commenting further. Today at least.

Over on Facebook, Daria cleared up the question of Colonel / General Gumm's face. There are, indeed, rights issues with the Roger C. Carmel estate. This has led to Harry Mudd, in Star Trek comics, to look slightly different, so it isn't a stretch to assume that's what was going on in Batman '66 Meets The Green Hornet.

I get the hatedom over Smith, and intellectually I don't disagree. He gets embarrassingly sensitive over criticism and is pretty juvenile for a guy pushing fifty. I will say that I still find him endearing as a pop culture fan, and his enthusiastic rants about what brings him joy can be inspiring, even if they are at times ridiculous (giving BvS a pass because "Parademons"). I've not seen any of his films past Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, or ready any of his comics past Batman: Widening Gyre (ugh), but as a personality I enjoy him. I really hope he fully recovers from the heart attack.

MOVING ON...

1000.07- This was an interesting convo into a franchise I didn't know had rebooted immediately after. The kill-count disparity was hilarious.

1000.08- LOL I dunno Mike, Archie's "War Journal" sounded extremely in character! For KJ Apa.

Thanks for bring nice about our segment guys. I'm usually so scattered by the end of a recording that I don't have the best handle on how good they were.

Gonna start in on some of these soon. It's seriously a huge achievement not only to get to 1000 episodes but to put together a coalition of diverse friends who can come together with 24 hours of content like this. Well done Mike and well done everyone.