Avengers: Infinity War

Missy

21 hours ago, CaptainAmerica2011 said:

I'm sure you have posted it, but care to share your list? I disagree with thinking most of them are bad, but strongly respect your opinion so I am curious.

Off the dome:

GOTG

Thor Ragnarok

Avengers: Infinity War

GOTG vol 2

Iron Man

CA: Winter Soldier

Spiderman: Homecoming

Black Panther

CA: First Avenger

Thor: Dark World

Everything else is trash, IMO

14 hours ago, Dan said:

Loved it, can't wait to see it again and drag Wendee to it.

One big question I had:

Reveal hidden contents

Where the hell is the Valkyrie (and, to some extent, Korg)? If she dies on the Asgardian ship, that sucks, but to not even mention her?

I had the same question. The opening was pretty jarring overall, actually.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, while I love lots of stuff about it, here’s my biggest issue, creatively (beyond Dan’s excellent point.)

So, the big criticism of Thanos is that he’s a Darkseid ripoff. So you change the character, smart. 

You make him into Purple Ra’s Al Ghul? Right down to the tenuous relationship with the daughter? Like, I think the portrayal is great and Gamora’s death is shocking. But, it’s still just Ra’s.

3 hours ago, Preston said:

Okay, while I love lots of stuff about it, here’s my biggest issue, creatively (beyond Dan’s excellent point.)

Hide contents

So, the big criticism of Thanos is that he’s a Darkseid ripoff. So you change the character, smart. 

You make him into Purple Ra’s Al Ghul? Right down to the tenuous relationship with the daughter? Like, I think the portrayal is great and Gamora’s death is shocking. But, it’s still just Ra’s.

Ehhh...that's a tenuous connection.

Spoiler

Ra's thing is that he wants Talia to get with someone who's just like him, and until that day comes serve him utterly and without fail (which she routinely fails to do by betraying him whenever Batman shows up). Thanos seemed perfectly content to let Gamora be Gamora up until the day he decided to get off his chair and find the Infinity Gems. 
And plenty of villains who destroy the world or universe think they're doing the right thing. Ra's wasn't the first and won't be the last.

1 hour ago, Donomark said:

Ehhh...that's a tenuous connection.

Hide contents

Ra's thing is that he wants Talia to get with someone who's just like him, and until that day comes serve him utterly and without fail (which she routinely fails to do by betraying him whenever Batman shows up). Thanos seemed perfectly content to let Gamora be Gamora up until the day he decided to get off his chair and find the Infinity Gems. 
And plenty of villains who destroy the world or universe think they're doing the right thing. Ra's wasn't the first and won't be the last.

”The universe/earth has finite resources. I need to kill half the population.”

I’m pretty sure that Ra’s has had that plan a dozen times. 

And like I said, I dig it. But it’s still super derivative.

EDIT: And Quill’s willingness to kill Gamora to save the universe makes him EXACTLY like Thanos. 

Wow.

I will add this :

Spoiler

Tom Holland's Spiderman is my favourite Spiderman. I'm very much a layman but he's clearly established as a young incarnation who is still star-struck by the likes of Ironman so he falls into the pecking order. He's only had one solo film to show any development and has clear potential to grow out if the 'kid' role having earned more respect from his contemporaries. For now he's the nervous yet determined spunky kid to root for. 

His disintegration hit me the hardest. Him and Groot.

45 minutes ago, Pan-dub said:

Wow.

I will add this :

Hide contents

Tom Holland's Spiderman is my favourite Spiderman. I'm very much a layman but he's clearly established as a young incarnation who is still star-struck by the likes of Ironman so he falls into the pecking order. He's only had one solo film to show any development and has clear potential to grow out if the 'kid' role having earned more respect from his contemporaries. For now he's the nervous yet determined spunky kid to root for. 

His disintegration hit me the hardest. Him and Groot.

Agreed on all accounts. His thing was the only time I got a little misty-eyed.

Spoiler

Something about a kid clutching to someone he trusts and begging "I don't want to go". How does it not give you the feels. Then he apologizes. I love Spider-Man.

Did anyone get the sense they were doing an homage to Spider-Man's Maximum Spider from the fighting games when he was leaping out of portals to hit Thanos? Or just me.

Was Wanda's powers somehow influenced by the Reality Stone? I know they used the Mind Stone on the twins, but her powers effects are always red. And come to think of it Quicksilver's powers had a blue hint, so I'm thinking Space Stone. Which would make sense based on how their powers work I.E. speed for the space and Wanda's reality warping abilities.

Does anybody think we might get Lady Death still, and that was who little Gamora was representing at the end.

Such a fun movie.

The more I think about it, the more I understand that while the streamlined morality of Thanos' plan, it would still be cooler if he did it all for love. That would set him apart from every other villain, and it's part of why the comic series was so impactful.

I'm gonna rain on the parade here, with a mega plot hole.

Spoiler

Thanos eventually gathers all of the Infinity Stones into the Infinity Gauntlet. He has unlimited power and he can rewrite reality on a whim. So why doesn't he just use the Infinity Gauntlet to make sure that there are enough resources for everyone forever? If "saving the universe" from overpopulation was Thanos' goal, the entire movie should be over in five minutes, because the Avengers should be helping him. He assembles the Infinity Gauntlet with the help of the heroes, solves the Universal Population Bomb, and everybody lives happily ever after.

No movie!

I liked it, but this bugged me.

I can just picture it: 

Thanos in his cabin as he watches the sunrise. Just after the credits hit. He’s still there, the slightest smirk on his face, pride and sadness rolling off of him. 

Slowly it dawns on him. He could have just created infinite resources. His smirk fades. His posture falls.  He places his head in his huge tired hands.

”Fuck me...”

On 5/2/2018 at 1:01 AM, CaptainAmerica2011 said:
  Hide contents

Something about a kid clutching to someone he trusts and begging "I don't want to go". How does it not give you the feels. Then he apologizes. I love Spider-Man.

Did anyone get the sense they were doing an homage to Spider-Man's Maximum Spider from the fighting games when he was leaping out of portals to hit Thanos? Or just me.

HELL YEA I DID!

6 hours ago, S-T said:

Hide contents

He has unlimited power and he can rewrite reality on a whim. So why doesn't he just use the Infinity Gauntlet to make sure that there are enough resources for everyone forever? 

Spoiler

1) It was my impression that the reality stone only changed the perception of reality on a temporary basis (Knowhere reverted to being battle-damaged and the Guardians overcame being weirdly segmented). Therefore this might not have a long-lasting effect. 

2) Is the ability of the combined stones ever explained, apart from their ability to destroy? It does seem reasonable that they could be used to create things, but doesn't seem to be a given. 

3) This is what he's been doing for years - 50% genocide around the cosmos. Why change his ways now? 

Spoiler

For that moment the gun shot bubbles. The point is that after he left it reverted back to being a gun. If Thanos is meant to conjure up resources for the entire universe will he have to concentrate really hard on keeping them real forever?

On 5/3/2018 at 8:52 PM, S-T said:

Hide contents

Thanos eventually gathers all of the Infinity Stones into the Infinity Gauntlet. He has unlimited power and he can rewrite reality on a whim. So why doesn't he just use the Infinity Gauntlet to make sure that there are enough resources for everyone forever? If "saving the universe" from overpopulation was Thanos' goal, the entire movie should be over in five minutes, because the Avengers should be helping him. He assembles the Infinity Gauntlet with the help of the heroes, solves the Universal Population Bomb, and everybody lives happily ever after.

No movie!

I liked it, but this bugged me.

Thanos isn't rationale. Terrible real world comparison coming up, but the Unibomber was a legitimately brilliant man who's big idea to stop the encroachment of technology in society was to mail pipe bombs to IBM executives. 

Saw it a second time, this time with Shana, and it was even better. Two things:

Spoiler

When Doctor Strange revealed the real Time Stone to Thanos, he made the same gesture as Loki when he revealed the Tesseract to Thanos. Thanos then said, "No tricks," which Strange repeated. And earlier in the movie, Loki went out of his way to call himself the Trickster God to Thanos. Loki probably wasn't disguised as Strange, but those things stuck out to me this time around.

When Black Panther faded into dust (or "feathers" as Shana calls it), one dude in the audience clapped. Now I can't say for certain he was white and has a lot of starched, bleached robes in his closet, but when you only clap at one death and it's Black Panther's, hmm, that's not a good look.

23 hours ago, The Master said:

Hide contents

When Black Panther faded into dust (or "feathers" as Shana calls it), one dude in the audience clapped. Now I can't say for certain he was white and has a lot of starched, bleached robes in his closet, but when you only clap at one death and it's Black Panther's, hmm, that's not a good look.

Perhaps the clapping dude thought that the character in question was overexposed and being shoved down everyone's throats. Kind of like how a lot of  WWE fans react to Roman Reigns - or how some comic fans react to Wolverine.

I think you're being unfairly judgmental. You don't know the guy.

I actually giggled at the death of a particular character because it was so ridiculously overdone and nobody thinks for a second that he is really dead. Especially when the actor playing that character is signed on for more upcoming movies.

You know, I was gonna let that slide but, no. 

The dude clapped at the death of the most prominent black superhero in the movie and no one else.

That’s a shitty, racist thing  and you defending it is pretty messed up.

Also, who claps at movies anyway?

Hard agree with Preston here. Just... no.

Solid advice for life: look at what you type before you hit reply. Ask yourself: "Does this make me sound like a dick?" If you can construe that it does, rethink your approach. Unless you're being a troll. In that case, go to 4Chan or Reddit instead.

Also, overexposed/shoved down throats my ass. The character in question has had about as much screen time as Fucking Ant-Man. 

People like him because he’s unique and good. It’s not Marvel selling tickets, it’s people buying them. 

Your whole argument is bullshit.