Sign in to follow this  
The Master

Random Star Trek thoughts

Recommended Posts

Since we already have independent threads for Star Trek: Discovery and the modern Star Trek movies, I thought we could use this thread to cover everything else that precedes the 2009 reboot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Halted my full rewatch of Star Trek: The Next Generation for the time being (at "Brothers"). The show had definitely taking a turn for the better throughout Season 3 and there was still a lot of greatness to come; I just didn't have the stamina to marathon seven twenty-plus episode seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Understandable. That's a great place to breathe, as it wraps up a great three-plus-season character arc for Picard.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw that about an hour ago via The Great Derelict. I nearly responded with the Voyager - Friends video. Then I got ear-wormed with the Friends theme and decided not to inflict it on anyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is my favorite series, and Quark is my favorite character in the entire Star Trek multiverse. I love Quark.

I had a TOS "red shirt" onesie from ThinkGeek that both of my sons wore as infants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, You Know Who said:

I just saw that about an hour ago via The Great Derelict. I nearly responded with the Voyager - Friends video. Then I got ear-wormed with the Friends theme and decided not to inflict it on anyone else.

That's where I found it, too. ;)

13 hours ago, S-T said:

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is my favorite series, and Quark is my favorite character in the entire Star Trek multiverse. I love Quark.

I had a TOS "red shirt" onesie from ThinkGeek that both of my sons wore as infants.

Quark's character growth is amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The Master said:

Quark's character growth is amazing.

Yes. All of the characters other than Dax were nearly unlikable in the first season: Sisko, Bashir, Kira and especially Quark. They all became much more likable as the series wore on.

Quark, especially, became a lovable heel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sisko was my favorite captain. He actually punched Q! He seemed so much more down to earth and real than the other captains. And I really like the actor.

It is crap that it took them several seasons to actually make him a captain, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, S-T said:

Yes. All of the characters other than Dax were nearly unlikable in the first season: Sisko, Bashir, Kira and especially Quark. They all became much more likable as the series wore on.

Quark, especially, became a lovable heel.

For me, Jadzia only shined when she was hanging around Klingons or chumming it up with Sisko, Kira, or Quark. She took ages to grow, and, sadly, her growth hinged on that of the male characters around her:

  • Dr. Bashir matures and stops trying to win her over, so Dax is able to become a character beyond the jewel of Julian's eye.
  • Sisko comes into his own as a leader, so Dax becomes his conscious.
  • Warf shows his heart, Jadzia gets a husband.

Another issue with her character is the Jadzia-centric stories were either about her hanging out with Klingons or something to do with the  Dax symbiont and / or being a Trill. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't remember her having any other story types, and that's a shame because Terry Farrell is a decent actress who deserved better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2018 at 2:28 PM, The Master said:

 Unless I'm mistaken, I don't remember her having any other story types, and that's a shame because Terry Farrell is a decent actress who deserved better.

Like Hellraiser 3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2018 at 9:28 AM, The Master said:
  • Dr. Bashir matures and stops trying to win her over, so Dax is able to become a character beyond the jewel of Julian's eye.

Dr. Bashir was a womanizing Guy Banter creep the first season. I remembered him being a sympathetic character who never attained the woman he loved, but when I re-watched DS9 in 2012* I hated the character. He did become less of a creep as the series wore on.

*I watched the series largely in the middle of the night because my newborn would not sleep unless he was being held. The baby is asleep but will wake up if I put him down, I am bored, time to watch Netflix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.