Episode 563

RSS

This week, Dread Media dives back into remakes. First up, Tom Deja joins Desmond to talk about the underrated and often forgotten 1980s remake of the 1950s classic The Blob. Then, Desmond goes solo on the brand new revenge remake of Death Wish. Of course, there are always tunes: "Remix (I Like The)" by New Kids on the Block, "Brave New Love" by Alien, "Deathwish" by Solitude Aeturnus, and "Carbon Copy" by iwrestledabearonce. [ 1:12:26 || 35.0 MB ]

5 hours ago, S-T said:

I never thought I would hear any of the Saw movies praised on Earth-2.net.

🙂

I will go to my grave saying the first Saw movie is a solid horror film with an incredibly effective ending. I can't speak for any others because I've never bothered watching them.

Some day I might revisit that movie. Looking back, the real bugbears were:

• The frenetic editing stood-in for style and tone
  • The timeline shifts were not handled well
  • Ill-developed characters
  • Leigh Whannell's acting
  • And it tried so hard to be Seven

If I do go back, I'll try to look past those issues.

I liked the first three, genuinely. I turned on the series after that, and I really hated 6.

People in the theater were openly laughing in derision at 8, on opening night. I wrote a 1600+ word review of it, ripping it to shreds.

BTW, thanks for revisiting The Blob, @Dread. I've been meaning to watch it since it came out and your podcast pushed me to finally do it. I rented it last weekend on YouTube. It was played much more serious than I thought it would be. I loved it.

4 hours ago, S-T said:

BTW, thanks for revisiting The Blob, @Dread. I've been meaning to watch it since it came out and your podcast pushed me to finally do it. I rented it last weekend on YouTube. It was played much more serious than I thought it would be. I loved it.

No worries. I've been meaning to rewatch it for like 25 years, so it worked out for both of us.