Glass

I finally watched "Split" a week ago and really liked it. Looking forward to how this plays out. Shyamalan has his problems, but the talent is there when he doesn't rely on gimmicks and is not overly pretentious.

I am not sure why Bruce Willis' character is chained up and in a psychiatric ward though. He's been free and living a normal life for almost 20 years after the events of "Unbreakable." What changed?

Someone I know watched the trailer. This person had seen "Unbreakable," but not "Split," and had no idea what was going on. I said it would make sense if you had seen "Split."

And that's the problem. There are a whole lot of people who have seen "Unbreakable" who will have no idea who James McAvoy's character is or why he is there. The trailer relies heavily on knowledge of both movies. Major marketing fail here, in my opinion. They need to do a much better job of connecting the two movies in future trailers.

I’m sorry, but not seeing the second film in a trilogy is not a marketing fail. It’s pretty common knowledge by now that Spilt was a sequel to Unbreakable. It’s like not seeing Empire and complaining that you don’t understand why Vader is Luke’s dad in Jedi. 

8 hours ago, Preston said:

I’m sorry, but not seeing the second film in a trilogy is not a marketing fail. It’s pretty common knowledge by now that Spilt was a sequel to Unbreakable. It’s like not seeing Empire and complaining that you don’t understand why Vader is Luke’s dad in Jedi. 

Nobody knew it was a sequel until they watched it. It wasn't marketed that way. 

I don't think that it is "common knowledge" that "Split" is a stealth sequel to "Unbreakable," especially since they didn't even tie them together until a mid-credits scene. Everyone knew that ROTJ was the third part of a trilogy. The general public doesn't know that about "Glass."

I didn't know that Split was a sequel to Unbreakable, but I had heard something regarding the ending. I still haven't seen Split but always wanted to. It's not a big spoiler I guess, but Split got great reviews so I guess the marketing is off of fandom goodwill.

6 hours ago, Donomark said:

I didn't know that Split was a sequel to Unbreakable, but I had heard something regarding the ending. I still haven't seen Split but always wanted to. It's not a big spoiler I guess, but Split got great reviews so I guess the marketing is off of fandom goodwill. 

Not a spoiler at all, really. It doesn't affect the main plot one bit. It's a single throwaway line in a mid-credits scene that you can easily miss if you're not paying attention - or if you leave when the credits start.

But you should watch it, for James McAvoy alone. His acting is spectacular.